• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
It's unnerving that we as fans rest all our hopes for the national team on some very rare wins. Our last win over the All Blacks seems to have given us a false sense of security which has lasted far too long.

I struggle to see us improving with Cheika as coach and Foley as our 10. It may be time to bite the bullet and build the team from scratch again. Some short term pain for long term gain.

Cheika seems to never stop talking but rarely does his 'vision' get translated into actual play.

Foley seems to have lost all of his running game and I blame him squarely for not straightening up the attack in the last couple of years. We cannot keep on just passing it down the line and it's obvious we need a stronger leader there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
SOJ, I may be wrong, but it is my recollection that the Wallabies won one lineout after Simmons came on and lost at least one but maybe more. The win was an uncontested lineout near the ABs tryline where even I could throw to a jumper in the air by himself.

I would again ask all of the Simmons' defenders to record how many lineouts are actually called by anyone standing in the lineout. More often, the call is made in a huddle beforehand and transmitted to the thrower by a prop as the remainder move to join. Would anyone suggest that all the tactical decisions about how a lineout is to be constructed is made by one player alone, and that that player having the most influential role would be anyone but the captain?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
SOJ, I may be wrong, but it is my recollection that the Wallabies won one lineout after Simmons came on and lost at least one but maybe more. The win was an uncontested lineout near the ABs tryline where even I could throw to a jumper in the air by himself.

I would again ask all of the Simmons' defenders to record how many lineouts are actually called by anyone standing in the lineout. More often, the call is made in a huddle beforehand and transmitted to the thrower by a prop as the remainder move to join. Would anyone suggest that all the tactical decisions about how a lineout is to be constructed is made by one player alone, and that that player having the most influential role would be anyone but the captain?
Clearly the poor lineout would be hoopers fault, if he’s not on then it would be Simmons, and latu has to take a lot of the rap too. Robertson and Kepu would be next to blame and after that foley, Beale and Folau. Ned hanigan was probably a major contributor from the stands as well, also Dave Dennis via Twitter.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Clearly the poor lineout would be hoopers fault, if he’s not on then it would be Simmons, and latu has to take a lot of the rap too. Robertson and Kepu would be next to blame and after that foley, Beale and Folau. Ned hanigan was probably a major contributor from the stands as well, also Dave Dennis via Twitter.

Start with Foley, then Dempsey. You'll get to Simmo soon enough following the Waratah cohort.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Regardless of posters favourite and least favourite players, surely arguing over performances yesterday, with maybe 2-3 exceptions at the most is an arguement over who was least shit. Trying to assign blame over the lineout, which was an absolute trainwreck, surely needs to be directed towards the whole pack and every member of the coaching staff.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Regardless of posters favourite and least favourite players, surely arguing over performances yesterday, with maybe 2-3 exceptions at the most is an arguement over who was least shit. Trying to assign blame over the lineout, which was an absolute trainwreck, surely needs to be directed towards the whole pack and every member of the coaching staff.

Most definitely..........

The Wallabies lineout has generally been rubbish for the last 3-4 years, with a lot of different players............. many of whom excelled at it in Super Rugby - let’s not forget that for a few years Australia had two of the best lineout teams in the Reds and the Brumbies, with a few of those key players in the Wallabies and we still sucked at it.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Against Teir 1 test teams, Cheika has a 36% win rate. (saw this elsewhere and checked it)

its time for him go. this team is going nowhere with him at the helm.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Against Teir 1 test teams, Cheika has a 36% win rate. (saw this elsewhere and checked it)

its time for him go. this team is going nowhere with him at the helm.
Won't change shit. It's the player base.

As if changing the figure head will suddenly remove the rot that goes to the roots.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Derpus. Totally agree. everything about pro rugby in Australia needs to be burnt to the ground and re-started.

Thats a bigger story. but as a stand alone issue Cheika is a poor coach, even with the cattle he has. The same comments regarding cattle were made about Deans, but he sure as hell delivered more than 36%!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus. Totally agree. everything about pro rugby in Australia needs to be burnt to the ground and re-started.

Thats a bigger story. but as a stand alone issue Cheika is a poor coach, even with the cattle he has. The same comments regarding cattle were made about Deans, but he sure as hell delivered more than 36%!
Deans had way better cattle than we have now (perhaps excluding the front row).

You can't treat it as a standalone issue. Paying Cheika out will cost money, a replacement will have to be found and they will have to have time to get settled during which our results will be even worse.

Cheika isn't a bad coach. He's demonstrated as much with Leinster, Waratahs and Wobblies in 2015. But he's building a house on sand.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Cheika is there until the RWC.

That was an incredibly disappointing test. We gave away soft tries and fell apart in the last few minutes.

The lost the big moments but the reality was we were ahead through the first half and still in the game in the last 10 minutes.

We were down 26-13 with an attacking 5m maul which got killed when Kieran Read came round the side illegally (which was missed) and we lose the ball and the All Blacks score down the other end soon after. We score there and we're a chance of winning the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Cheika is there until the RWC.

That was an incredibly disappointing test. We gave away soft tries and fell apart in the last few minutes.

The lost the big moments but the reality was we were ahead through the first half and still in the game in the last 10 minutes.

We were down 26-13 with an attacking 5m maul which got killed when Kieran Read came round the side illegally (which was missed) and we lose the ball and the All Blacks score down the other end soon after. We score there and we're a chance of winning the game.
Your ability to remain optimistic is impressive. I think my will has finally been broken hey.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We have a real problem atm with our available props. It is a problem of the ARU's making and can be fixed overnight by the ARU if they are at all interested in how the Wallabies will fare in Bledisloe 2.

There are at least four good eligible props playing Super Rugby (or will be in 2019) in New Zealand; Toby Smith, Nic Mayhew, Michael Ala'alatoa, and Tyrel Lomax. Simply extend the selection base to include any Aus eligible players in Super Rugby and we have immediately provided sufficient potential backup for our present injury woes. Such a move would probably have longer term benefits as well as younger players of promise might be more inclined to play in NZ where they could look forward to better coaching and development than to move to Japan or Europe. The Wallabies would then have an expanded and better prepared pool of players to select from.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Braveheart - i know that he is there until RWC. which is as big a joke as signing hooper to a 5 year deal.

but the 36% is his track record over 3.5 years not just saturday nights game. and no we were never a chance of winning. we had dominance in the first half and came away with 6 points. it was never enough.

this team has gone backwards under Cheika. and he has no plan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Your ability to remain optimistic is impressive. I think my will has finally been broken hey.

I'm gutted and the situation is not good, but also pretending that this was some huge watershed moment is ridiculous.

If we'd lost by less than 7 or snuck a win, rightfully no one would be saying that Cheika is perfect and we're now better than the All Blacks.

I don't think anything is really changed either way. This team is capable of playing well for periods of time but can fall away horrifically.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm gutted and the situation is not good, but also pretending that this was some huge watershed moment is ridiculous.

If we'd lost by less than 7 or snuck a win, rightfully no one would be saying that Cheika is perfect and we're now better than the All Blacks.

I don't think anything is really changed either way. This team is capable of playing well for periods of time but can fall away horrifically.
Straw that broke the camels back for me.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We have a real problem atm with our available props. It is a problem of the ARU's making and can be fixed overnight by the ARU if they are at all interested in how the Wallabies will fare in Bledisloe 2.

There are at least four good eligible props playing Super Rugby (or will be in 2019) in New Zealand; Toby Smith, Nic Mayhew, Michael Ala'alatoa, and Tyrel Lomax. Simply extend the selection base to include any Aus eligible players in Super Rugby and we have immediately provided sufficient potential backup for our present injury woes. Such a move would probably have longer term benefits as well as younger players of promise might be more inclined to play in NZ where they could look forward to better coaching and development than to move to Japan or Europe. The Wallabies would then have an expanded and better prepared pool of players to select from.

MAT would be straight onto the bench if it were me, with Sio starting. Either that or we make AAT a LH on a perm basis, which with him at the Brums isn't going to happen

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Smith would be eligible. Lomax wants to play for the All Blacks.

Ala'alatoa and Mayhew would have confirmed their availability for selection to NZ rugby only by signing a NZ contract.