Jason Little (69)
He's an emergency option at best.I've got a ton of problems with the history of Cheika's selections, but Beale at 10 isn't one of them, nor is it confined to him:
- John Connolly explained that he didn't bring Beale to the 2007 World Cup because he had enough depth at 10.
- Robbie Deans started Beale at 10 in seven test matches in 2012, despite having Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper, or Mike Harris available.
- Ewen McKenzie started Beale at 10 and To'omua at 12 in both games against NZ in the 2014 Rugby Championship, and started Beale at 10 in the 2008 Super 14 Final.
- Chris Hickey had Beale as his first-choice 10 in 2009.
- Damien Hill had Beale as his first-choice 10 in 2012.
- Daryl Gibson started Beale at 10 for his first three games as Waratahs coach.
- Dai Young preferred to move Beale to 10 and bring on a 12, than bring on a 10.
I think we've worked out that Beale is at his best at 12, but he is also a good option at 10.
All things considered, I'd rather have Cooper as backup (and i'm not really a fan). That's assuming he is fit, in some relatively decent form and playing for a Super side.