• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Weeks is fit, I can't see anyone else being on the radar as the reserve THP. There's not a lot of other choices, Alexander would be my next pick. Talakai and Robertson look like guys for the future, but I'd be wary of rushing our young THPs into a national squad, especially guys who are very green in Super Rugby.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
yep. That's my hope. I thought he was very good v the Stormers and, in form, he's a real point of difference for the team.

I had hopes for Carderyn Neville but his benching won't have helped his cause.

Blake Enever too, but his injury has impacted his opportunities.

Carter, Simmons and Coleman are all a little too same same.

Mumm is no chance.

Arnold..perhaps..but I'd probably go Jones or Timani before him.
Staniforth been putting in some good work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If Weeks is fit, I can't see anyone else being on the radar as the reserve THP. There's not a lot of other choices, Alexander would be my next pick. Talakai and Robertson look like guys for the future, but I'd be wary of rushing our young THPs into a national squad, especially guys who are very green in Super Rugby.

Toby Smith was used as a THP at RWC. Cheik is known to be a big fan, and Toby's having another big year. He's behind Sio & Slipper from a LHP perspective, so I figure he'll probably be the backup at 3.

Would love to see Laurie in the mix though!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Toby Smith was used as a THP at RWC. Cheik is known to be a big fan, and Toby's having another big year. He's behind Sio & Slipper from a LHP perspective, so I figure he'll probably be the backup at 3.

Would love to see Laurie in the mix though!

My thoughts exactly re Toby. Could almost say he is the incumbent reserve THP. I expect he will be there before Weeks, and I hope before Faulkner.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Not sure if you have watched Smith scrummage at THP lately. He was absolutely drilled in Africa against the Bulls and the previous week to that. Since then the Rebels have not used him at THP at all. If Chieka picks him against a strong England scrummaging outfit it will be like throwing a rookie into the deep end. It's a wrong move if he is the reserve THP.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Naiyaravoro may be flown in, he's been in and around Chieka's squads in the last 10 months.

Houston would be a bit left field. He's been out of Australia for 4 or 5 years at least now, they've gone through 2 Wallabies Coaches and styles since then. Bath are done after this weekend though, so if you could get him back sharply, he could have a couple of games in Reds colours before the Test window, which would give everybody relevant an opportunity to see where he's at.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Houston a dark horse for the extended squad if he signs with the Reds? Given Vaea is out.

Hmmmmmmm........ For a guy who wasn't anywhere near a Walaby jersey when he was here I'd first like to see him play against some SANZAAR quality opposition first.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Moreso that he's not played any International Rugby at all, and he's not been in and around Cheiks squads.

His form is very good, don't question that. If he does come back, he'd be in and around the Wallabies squad, I'd just question whether that would be part of the playing squad (those that are genuinely in contention to play in the England series) or just part of the train on squad where they're being integrated for future selection.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He won't be anywhere near the playing squad that's a given. That's why I said dark horse for the extended squad.

Poey and Hooper are the incumbent 7/8 and that is not going to change anytime soon, in my view.

Next in line would surely be McMahon and McCalman - but then we have Holloway, Cottrell and now Houston possible challenging these guys and I don't think its too unlikely they could take a spot away from them with some good form and impressing Cheika at training.

Especially if they offer some much needed line-bending skills.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can't really see how you could look past Holloway, somehow Cheika did for 3 years. He's a rangy 8 similar to Higginbotham, but with a bit more bulk and physical prescence.
If Palu is in that squad and Jed isn't I'll blow a gasket. Also reckon that Cottrell deserves a squad spot this year

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well it looks like Holloway has dislocated his shoulder this morning, so he is at best doubtful for the England series.

Top Bottom