• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

I haven't been a big fan of Carter for the Wallaby selection since 2014, I thought he was very lucky to be chosen for the RWC squad given his lacklustre figures during Super Rugby in 2015.

But there's a lack of alternatives in 2016

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Fly Horwill over? I'd prefer him over Carter... well if he can play like he did last Rugby Championship.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Coming off such a successful world cup, I highly doubt we'll see Cheika reinvent the wheel. Guys like Arnold and Holloway aren't likely to be in the 23 for the Suncorp game, but I'd like to see them get a run at some stage if we manage to take control of the series.

I see Naiyaravoro as a bolter. No idea what his form has been like, but Chek clearly sees a place from him in the Wallabies set up moving forward.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Coming off such a successful world cup, I highly doubt we'll see Cheika reinvent the wheel. Guys like Arnold and Holloway aren't likely to be in the 23 for the Suncorp game, but I'd like to see them get a run at some stage if we manage to take control of the series.

I see Naiyaravoro as a bolter. No idea what his form has been like, but Chek clearly sees a place from him in the Wallabies set up moving forward.

Except Douglas was the starter. He's injured so a new lock has to start. Carter was part of the set-up but only scrapped through, Arnold has also been part of the set-up with Cheika as coach. It could go either way IMO, a starting lock spot will be up for grabs by anyone.

I agree the core of the group and starting side will be the same. But changes to the bench and extended squad is always likely each year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need two locks, neither Douglas nor Mumm are likely.

I think we may see Skelton and Arnold with Simmons

Skelton's maul defence may get him over the line for 30 odd minutes

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
This will be the team to face England, everyone being fit.

Sio
Moore
Holmes
Coleman
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Phipps
Foley
Tomane (Kelleway)
Kerevi
Folau
DHP
Beale

TPN
Slipper
Robertson
Arnold
Holloway (McCalman)
Frisby
Hunt
Kelleway (Horne)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Robertson and Kellaway aren't going to get gold jumpers this year, give them a chance to settle into Super rugby. Next year though.....

Smith in for Robertson and it's a good looking team.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
This will be the team to face England, everyone being fit.

Sio
Moore
Holmes
Coleman
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Phipps
Foley
Tomane (Kelleway)
Kerevi
Folau
DHP
Beale

TPN
Slipper
Robertson
Arnold
Holloway (McCalman)
Frisby
Hunt
Kelleway (Horne)

Dreaming, players have been told that Chieka will not use any rookies against England with his recent meeting explaining to players how he will select the squad for the test series.

RWC players will maintain first choice selection if fit and on target with Super rugby goals (I'd imagine he would have certain goals with each individual player).
The next bunch will be those who have performed consistently in Super Rugby not only this season but over a period of 2-3 seasons.

Rookies will not be looked at for this test and will be assessed at the seasons end. A few will earn EOYT experience with mid-week games set to feature on the Wallaby tour.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Totally agree that Lopeti is an eight and not a lock. We would lose too much in the lineout jumping stakes if we were to pick him in the second row. In any case, McCalman and Holloway provide defence, go forward and jumping ability off the bench in the context of the current back row we field.

I'm of the Bakkies school when it comes to the second row pairing: you pick an athlete for the lineout and ball running in the loose and the rock shifter for the hard dirty stuff at the breakdown. Both players need to be able to scrummage. Simmons will be playing, no doubt about it (barring injury or suspension). What remains is who to partner with him. I'd say it will come down to Carter, Arnold or Coleman, with Carter my front runner.
Timani is pig slow and when you look at what Reid achieves with his pace it looks like a real weakness.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We need two locks, neither Douglas nor Mumm are likely.

I think we may see Skelton and Arnold with Simmons

Skelton's maul defence may get him over the line for 30 odd minutes
Not with the pooper on the field. Carter and Aronld have great maul defence too noone seems to get pass the Brumbies there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Skelton doesnt deserve to be there. Carter for me hasnt been able to step up at the next level and hasnt ahown anything this year that suggests he will. Arnold or Coleman are the guys to partner Simmons. And given form Coleman is my pick.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm going to put it out there that I don't think Holloway should or will play for the Wallabies in 2016. For me, he's your classic wing-forward. Great footballing skills but probably not the hardness and tackle/breakdown work rate you need to play 8 for Australia (at least not yet)

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Skelton's last few games have been good. His form is picking up at the right time.

I don't think he will start with the Pooper but he could easily be the bench lock.

one thing i noticed last week with skelton is that seemed like the first time in awhile that he actually accelerated into contact instead of planting tree trunks and cuddling before going to ground.

hopefully he continues in the vein of wanting to run over people and drag any poor unsuspecting bastard along in his wake.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm going to put it out there that I don't think Holloway should or will play for the Wallabies in 2016. For me, he's your classic wing-forward. Great footballing skills but probably not the hardness and tackle/breakdown work rate you need to play 8 for Australia (at least not yet)

Hardness in the tackle? Yes. Breakdown workrate? No. That is one area in the backrow the number 8 can be lenient on since we have either of Poey, Fardy and Hooper in the other positions. The most likely combo who be Poey as 7 and Fardy at 6 and they have naturally high breakdown work so our 8 can focus on running, linking and tackling - like Hooper does.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And that is a good thing (with Hooper) for the Wallabies and would be a good thing with Holloway. I believe he has established himself as one of the two best No 8s in the country and should get time on the bench at least this year. Can't wait to see him producing his line breaking runs in Gold.

Top Bottom