• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a real problem with Australian rugby. Young players upping and leaving if they don't get selected fast enough. It's an attitude problem: they simply don't value national selection in the way players used to. Although maybe past players would also have naffed off inthe same way if the same foreign money-making opportuinities were there. It's an indictment, regardless.
Isn't it a payment problem?

Either get paid by the ARU for national duties or by a European/Japanese club.

Super Rugby money doesn't cut it these days. If they got the same money here as elsewhere they'd stay and fight for the jersey

Edit - should have read beyond the first paragraph ;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
BTW I thought Andrew Ready was a good chance of an initial call up.

Knowing TPN's run, he'll have a head knock in one of the first two games which will allow Ready to be called into the training squad. I'd dare say that Chibba does deserve his spot in the squad so I've got no qualms for Ready to focus on Super and Club rugby for a bit longer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd eat my hat. The boy always had potential, and if anyone can get him off the pies it's Cheika, but he's hardly been in international form for Bath.

Ok, I assume this quote has been followed up with?

eat-my-hat-o.gif

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting squad to say the least, wouldn't read too much into this initial squad. The match day 23 within it isn't half bad. I vaguely remember cheika justifying a lot of european based players for the world cup claiming they had a bit of inside knowledge on european rugby maybe he is repeating the process with horwill, houston etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
the problem i have is more to do with the Experienced players he has picked. does anyone actually see a benefit to selecting Palu? he wont get any game time (Hopefully) and hes not there to help mentor any of our younger blokes cause we didnt pick any younger no.8s. Does anyone actually think Powells selection is justified? it really isnt that bad, and i reckon he chose the best backs considering our injuries other then powell.

Palu's hands have let him down this season but what he has still done this season is hit rucks hard, run hard and stung in tackles

He isn't a starter anymore but 20-30 minutes of angry off the bench? Cheika likes angry

T

TOCC

Palu is done, can't carry a player who is unable to play for 80minutes at test level, what happens if Pocock/Fardy/McCalman/Holloway get injured or a head knock in the first 10minutes? Palu has to play for 70.. Whilst Australia are light on at 8, there are better options out there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's worth listening to Cheika's comments about Palu on the Facebook Live post on the Wallabies Facebook page.

As many have suggested his selection is based on his experience that he can bring to new players in the squad and the attitude and intensity he brings.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That's a real problem with Australian rugby. Young players upping and leaving if they don't get selected fast enough. It's an attitude problem: they simply don't value national selection in the way players used to. Although maybe past players would also have naffed off inthe same way if the same foreign money-making opportuinities were there. It's an indictment, regardless.
My comment related to Brownings place at the Reds, not really any prospect of him making the Wallabies squad. I don't see him in the frame for that at present.

With regards to his place at the Reds, I actually think he has shown a willingness to earn his stripes, live off bit chances off the bench and then, when he has got his chance through injury it seems to me he really has grabbed it with both hands. Unfortunately, the Reds have still gone out and added Timu & Houston and re-signed Tui. I'm not saying that they are wrong in this, but you can't blame Browning if he decides to look elsewhere in the circumstances.

Anyway, all off this is off the thread topic, sorry.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Knowing TPN's run, he'll have a head knock in one of the first two games which will allow Ready to be called into the training squad. I'd dare say that Chibba does deserve his spot in the squad so I've got no qualms for Ready to focus on Super and Club rugby for a bit longer.

Or maybe Moore might pull up lame in the 1st minute of the 1st test....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
As an 8. Hooper and McMahon will cover 7 just fine.

Next year it will be McCalman and Holloway fighting for 8 I'd imagine. Now we can add Leroy too that mix. Which I don't think is a negative at all.

Yep. I've come completely round on Houston. It was just such a surprise. I guess I should read the Bath Chronicle.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
I was just doing some reading on the net and name popped up Mitch Lees. said he was going to be looked at by England before he got injured. i wonder if there was any inquires to bring him home to play for Australia if he's playing so well.
If Australia had all these players that were killing it overseas playing for the wallabies we would be killing it i recon.
it kills me to see players turn there back on their country to play for another when they could be playing for us!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Are you sure? I thought it was Simmons and Douglas. Douglas was injured early I seem to remember.
You are correct. I had it in my head that Douglas was injured earlier in the tournament and that led to the recall of Carter into the wider squad, but that was Skelton. Regardless, Mumm was in the 23 for the RWC final and I wouldn't expect him to be discarded especially now as Douglas is unavailable. However, Skelton's availability would come in to play you'd think.