• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

B

Bobby Sands

Or, you know, a better player to come along.

Why don't you just chill out and acknowledge that many, reaching consensus, want to see change at 10. Staunchly defending him doesn't make him better, or you more loyal.

Take Hooper as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why don't you just chill out and acknowledge that many, reaching consensus, want to see change at 10. Staunchly defending him doesn't make him better, or you more loyal.

Take Hooper as well.
Man i'm not really defending him. He can be pretty shit. But he's still easily, easily the best we have. I've not once seen Beale have a good game at 10 and he has long since moved on from trying to play there.

To'omua too has always played better at 12. He had a few passable games at 10 in the Premiership last year which in no way showed him to be any better than Foley.

Or do you want Quade back? Why don't you just accept that we lose because we are shit all round and not because of a few marginal selections that you disagree with.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only issue I have with that article is the author not saying the cross field crab isn't Beale's fault. We've seen for years he's unable to run straight and prefers to run side ways and shovel shit behind him. It's exactly why he should never be in at 10.

If we've got To'omua in the squad, chuck Foley out of 10 and have Marko be on the inside shoulder of To'omua. God forbid we actually straighten our attack for once.

I don't see what this has to do with the article at all. It highlights the predictable and pre-programmed nature of Australian rugby, where running the planned line is more important than running the line that is into space. Beale's crabbing might be another issue (personally i dont think it is but thats upto others to think it is or isnt) but doesn't have anything to do with the scripted plays we put out.

Another thing i have noted of late is how often Aus players and coaches say the word 'detail' alot, which would highlight that they are expecting perfection is an unperfect game

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree with Rebels3 that that article brilliantly highlights one of our major issues. ANY coach that thinks he can plan or script plays beyond 3 phases is kidding himself. I'd even go so far as to say trying to script anything beyond 2 phases is a waste of time. 2, 3 phases max, should be enough to manipulate the defence and then a half decent playmaker, dare I say it, should play what's in front of him.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with Rebels3 that that article brilliantly highlights one of our major issues. ANY coach that thinks he can plan or script plays beyond 3 phases is kidding himself. I'd even go so far as to say trying to script anything beyond 2 phases is a waste of time. 2, 3 phases max, should be enough to manipulate the defence and then a half decent playmaker, dare I say it, should play what's in front of him.
You'd better go warn every pro coach that they are doing it wrong

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Man i'm not really defending him. He can be pretty shit. But he's still easily, easily the best we have. I've not once seen Beale have a good game at 10 and he has long since moved on from trying to play there.

To'omua too has always played better at 12. He had a few passable games at 10 in the Premiership last year which in no way showed him to be any better than Foley.

Or do you want Quade back? Why don't you just accept that we lose because we are shit all round and not because of a few marginal selections that you disagree with.

No one mentioned him until you did, but since you did, the team is 66% (30/45) when Cooper starts in the Wallaby 10 jersey. Foley? 49%. (24/49)

Yeah yeah, I know, Quade wasn't in any way responsible when the team did well and Foley is never responsible when the team does poorly. They are only, like, playing the central position on the field.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No one mentioned him until you did, but since you did, the team is 66% (30/45) when Cooper starts in the Wallaby 10 jersey. Foley? 49%. (24/49)

Yeah yeah, I know, Quade wasn't in any way responsible when the team did well and Foley is never responsible when the team does poorly. They are only, like, playing the central position on the field.
My eyes can only roll so far back into my head.

Reactions: dru

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Foley is basically the Wallaby backs coach (obviously sitting under Larkham, the attack coach). I doubt he'll get dropped unless he has a howler, which he never has. He's just got the limitations any little #10 does, much like George Ford.

I think it is turnovers followed by poor transition to defence that is our worst problem. Eight tries directly from turnover ball absolutely killed us and blew out the scorelines. Allowing the ball to be stripped from you should be a droppable offence. Late to seal off at the ruck (thereby inviting pilfers) is inexcusable, as are poor passes or passes to no-one. If you can maintain your possession won in set piece against the ABs you are in with a chance. If a player is unable to treasure possession to the level required - find someone else more hungry.

Yeah, this is a killer.

Half the reason you play these nice symettrical attack shapes (1331, 161, 242, 2222, etc.) is because it makes for really good transition D.

Though, I'd say the really staggering thing is how the Wallabies get themselves all under pressure in 3V3 and 2V2 D situations. Could be a comms issue, but I'm just guessing.

It's a tough one. My honest opinion is stuff looks worse than it is, and when we have the inevitable Chiek-driven passionate rebound game stuff won't be as good as it seems either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

But what are the stats like with Bernie or Lynagh at 10?

Because it’s been so long since Quade was playing at a reasonable level that, well..............

Although we shouldn’t mention Quade (or Foley) in the same breath as those two.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
But what are the stats like with Bernie or Lynagh at 10?

Because it’s been so long since Quade was playing at a reasonable level that, well......

Although we shouldn’t mention Quade (or Foley) in the same breath as those two.

Granted, though he is 5 from 8 in his last 8 starts, from July 15 to Oct 16, which might seem like a long time ago until you consider it's about the time of the performances that Chieka and Foley are relying on to hold onto their spots, too (RWC15).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Granted, though he is 5 from 8 in his last 8 starts, from July 15 to Oct 16, which might seem like a long time ago until you consider it's about the time of the performances that Chieka and Foley are relying on to hold onto their spots, too (RWC15).

Well, when you consider the quality of opposition in those games..........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Forwards win matches, backs decide by how far.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper couldn't stop getting himself sent from the field at critical points in the match

He will never again be picked by Cheika, and probably any other Wallaby coach. I don't support Thorns blacklisting, but have no problem with Cheika's

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cooper couldn't stop getting himself sent from the field at critical points in the match

He will never again be picked by Cheika, and probably any other Wallaby coach. I don't support Thorns blacklisting, but have no problem with Cheika's

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is an opinion for you. Cheika went out of his way to have Quade return to Australia and has been vocal in the situation in Brisbane. Clearly he has not been prepared to select Quade from Premier, pretty obvious position. But there is no Cheika factor here.

Quade wont be selected because he is unable to prove his form at the right level of rugby. NRC helps but does not resolve this.