• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with the old faces except mumm - he has not done that bad in the wallaby jersey and still very good bench option with his ability to cover 6 and lock. Not ready to retire him yet and I think the critics on here been overly harsh on here about mumm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Chek seems to like the bloke. Expect him to be in the team this week

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me and I think many others, Stephen Moore is a "dead man walking", firstly as a player and secondly, as captain. (at least internationally)

Chek is not stupid and would see that as well.

I suppose the question is WHEN does it happen.

I think MC will stick with him until the end of the Rugby Championship. I would flick him now but I'm not the coach.

I would not be surprised if Moore "retires" from international rugby (end of RC) (does our game permit that ????) and does not even go on the EOYT.

That would be a deserved and dignified way of addressing the issue.

Thoughts ????

Reactions: Tex

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would not be surprised if Moore "retires" from international rugby (end of RC) (does our game permit that ????) and does not even go on the EOYT.

Thoughts ????

Not going to happen - he's just signed a 3 year deal to join the Reds...........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Karmichael hunt has not turned out to be the great signing everyone thought he could be. Sure drug related suspension and injuries not helped but his star power seems to have waned. Can't see him ever playing for the wallabies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Not going to happen - he's just signed a 3 year deal to join the Reds.....

The way he's playing he'll be a bench option behind the rookie Ready. May not even ride the pine:)

Remember, a highly respected poster said that nobody is signed to be a starter - I'm sure he probably thinks the same for Quade as well:)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Karmichael hunt has not turned out to be the great signing everyone thought he could be. Sure drug related suspension and injuries not helped but his star power seems to have waned. Can't see him ever playing for the wallabies.

He was good this year when he played. Injury came at the wrong time.

As with most contact sport athletes the quality of his career is partly defined by injury, which is uncontrollable.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He was good this year when he played. Injury came at the wrong time.

As with most contact sport athletes the quality of his career is partly defined by injury, which is uncontrollable.

"very good" is a bit of a stretch.

He was good a couple of times, about $350,000 per time

Wouldn't really be considered a financial coup

But point taken re injury

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Very easy to say in hindsight, Scrubber.

He certainly has a lot of potential, and it's a real shame his time in rugby has been affected by injury.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Very easy to say in hindsight, Scrubber.

He certainly has a lot of potential, and it's a real shame his time in rugby has been affected by injury.

True True.

However I thought it was crazy to pay a bloke who had been out of our game forever (and league as well) $700,000.

Lots of lads have great potential, only a few ever fulfill it

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Injury does impact how we might be measuring Hunt. I've a feeling that he might have had a chance at a gold jersey about now if he had stayed fit.

Some of his history, and his income (being unavailable for other purchases) is irritating. But I think he's coming good. We've invested heavily, hold for now.

Could he build Digby-esque with Quade from FB? I want him big time for 2017.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
There are some "older" players around the Wallabies who I'd like to see replaced on the EOYT. Specifically, Simmons, Mumm, McCalman, maybe Moore. In their places, I'd go with players like Coleman, Arnold, Staniforth and Hanigan in the second row, and Dempsey and Holloway in the back row.

Other forwards who have earned a tour include Ready and Tom Robertson.

Some new faces in the backs would also be good to see; Naivalu, Kellaway, Powell and maybe Perese spring to mind.

Brumby Runner, I'd like to add one name to your list: Michael Cheika!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There needs to me more emphasis on retaining players that may come into contention and forward planning on what our needs may be a realistic way down the track. We have several, or more, players overseas who are in their prime and could/would be in the Wallaby setup right now.
There needs to be decisions made by an independent selection panel rather than the coach at the time on who should be encouraged to stick around, financially and otherwise.
Who decides at present who gets a top up and who doesn't?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To me and I think many others, Stephen Moore is a "dead man walking", firstly as a player and secondly, as captain. (at least internationally)

Chek is not stupid and would see that as well.

I suppose the question is WHEN does it happen.

I think MC will stick with him until the end of the Rugby Championship. I would flick him now but I'm not the coach.

Thoughts ????

I think you are partially correct, except that parts of Aussie rugby are ridiculously emotionally clingy to players, and get hung up on the loyalty over performance issue. Smart management would have him stepping back to take a break and move to more of a mentoring role and the closer off the beach for a season and see where he is at after that.

As for "Chek is not stupid and would see that as well."- um no. Cheika was one of the few who could not see the Kiwi touch up coming as he is driven by his ego primarily. Look at the Pooper - who doesn't know that not dead but he is yet to be able to let it go.

I will be interested to see what the Reds do with him now on the books. I really like Moore, but on performance I would pick Ready before him every time.