• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So after reviewing the three tests in detail, what I noticed was the following:

- Our game plan is changing to a more up tempo, offloading system. The intent is there, even if the execution isn't. We're showing more daring in attack and some of the time it's coming off and we score some cracking tries. Other times we're pushing the envelope too much and the opposition is punishing us. We'll either keep doing it and get better bit by bit (while getting spanked) or we'll go into our shells.
- Two play makers is mostly working. Hunt has thrown some great ball in the last few games.
- There has been some very questionable option taking under pressure. Our on-field decision makers need to be clearer in their thinking and at the very least let their team mates know what they're doing or look for support.
- The defence has improved I feel. Most of the tries scored against us have been close to the gain line intercepts or turnovers that no defensive formation would stop. I think I recall Marto saying we only missed 11 tackles against Italy. One of our big problems last year was how many points we were shipping through the midfield. Hunt coming into 12 has stiffened up that channel and we're stopping most of the line breaks, whereas before we were relying on our ability to scramble.
- Set piece has been variable but mostly OK
- The news blokes have done pretty well. Hunt I would give a big tick, Hardwick acquitted himself quite well and Hanigan has gotten better week by week too
- Adam Coleman is a beast and our best forward right now.

Moon Dog

Stan Wickham (3)
Sefa burnt their 15, their 15 was catching Hodge after getting wrongfooted. Hodge isn't close to Sefa.

Hodge is no winger, most of the Italian backs that played didn't have a lot of speed expect for the guy Sefa couldn't get who scored. The Italians played with a young side and had a lot of their experienced players rested and they still nearly beat us ! The Wallabies tried but for me the team is just not good enough. We need some good wingers coming through, who can read the game, look for the ball, can tackle, catch and are quick. We need to start blooded new young players, we need depth. Get rid of Cooper and Genia. The team won't do any good with what we have

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Hodge is no winger, most of the Italian backs that played didn't have a lot of speed expect for the guy Sefa couldn't get who scored. The Italians played with a young side and had a lot of their experienced players rested and they still nearly beat us ! The Wallabies tried but for me the team is just not good enough. We need some good wingers coming through, who can read the game, look for the ball, can tackle, catch and are quick. We need to start blooded new young players, we need depth. Get rid of Cooper and Genia. The team won't do any good with what we have

If we need the above probably need to get rid of Cheika first, his MO is keep playing the incumbents regardless of form or injury, especially if they were in his old 2014 Tah's team.
IMO he should be blooding wingers like Newsome and Verity Amm, raw but goers.
I was saying the same about Adam Coleman for 2 years before he even got on the bench, and that was only because of injury.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Who gives a shit about wingers?

Let's be real here. We don't beat the ABs because our wingers had great games. It's all about the blokes with the low numbers on their backs.

And even after the last few weeks they aren't getting enough attention. We are sorely behind the Boks and ABs in positions 1,2,3,6 and 8. I genuinely believe our locks are up to it, and Hooper. But after that it gets ugly.

Codie Taylor scored a try for the ABs out wide where he caught a long pass on his toes, and showed enough speed to dot down before the Lions winger caught him. Could Moore/TPN/Latu do that? Never in a million years.

We have a serious lack of hard-edged, raw-boned big blokes. We need guys with Hanigan's attitude but Timani's build. And I'm not sure where they are coming from.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If we need the above probably need to get rid of Cheika first, his MO is keep playing the incumbents regardless of form or injury, especially if they were in his old 2014 Tah's team.
IMO he should be blooding wingers like Newsome and Verity Amm, raw but goers..

Yeah I agree, let's dispense with DHP and Naivalu, they are past it. God, Cheika and his 2014 Tahs, right?

Verity-Am is the future. He's played 28 minutes in a mediocre Force side. MORE than enough for a Gold jersey!!! And don't start me on Newsome - he's played 63 minutes in a mediocre Force team - what's he got to do to get a cap, Cheik?!?!?!?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I agree, let's dispense with DHP and Naivalu, they are past it. God, Cheika and his 2014 Tahs, right?

Verity-Am is the future. He's played 28 minutes in a mediocre Force side. MORE than enough for a Gold jersey!!! And don't start me on Newsome - he's played 63 minutes in a mediocre Force team - what's he got to do to get a cap, Cheik?!?!?!?

Kellaway scored a couple tries a couple years ago. Surely he should be Wallabies FB by now. What about Banks? Latham incarnate ready to go this minute

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IMO he should be blooding wingers like Newsome and Verity Amm, raw but goers.
I was saying the same about Adam Coleman for 2 years before he even got on
the bench, and that was only because of injury.

19 players have now debuted since the RWC.

Maybe Coleman would have made his debut in 2015 if it wasn't a RWC year but as it was, it was never going to happen.

We've had four debutants on the wing in the last year and a bit and none of the players that have played on the wing this season have more than 20 caps. Suggesting we need to start blooding new wingers is lunacy (although we've still got one waiting for his first cap in Korobeite).

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Cheika's current selection policy is doing fabulously!
The key word was "like" meaning hard charging young blokes, as you say we have got 2 old battered hookers, we need hunger and speed.
We also need good leadership and never say die attitude, can't see it so far.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Let's be real here. We don't beat the ABs because our wingers had great games. It's all about the blokes with the low numbers on their backs.

And even after the last few weeks they aren't getting enough attention. We are sorely behind the Boks and ABs in positions 1,2,3,6 and 8. I genuinely believe our locks are up to it, and Hooper. But after that it gets ugly.

Codie Taylor scored a try for the ABs out wide where he caught a long pass on his toes, and showed enough speed to dot down before the Lions winger caught him. Could Moore/TPN/Latu do that? Never in a million years.

We have a serious lack of hard-edged, raw-boned big blokes. We need guys with Hanigan's attitude but Timani's build. And I'm not sure where they are coming from.

You're definitely underselling TPN there, he's good with ball in hand. Also, the Lions winger, fuck knows why, was at least 4 metres in-field and out of position, marking no one when all he had to do was watch a fat fucking front rower standing on his wing. Was the worst positioning ive ever seen from anybody ever. Talk about making the kiwis look good.

Edit: it can't be that hard for Hanigan to eat a few extra hamburgers and put on another 10kg can it?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Edit: it can't be that hard for Hanigan to eat a few extra hamburgers and put on another 10kg can it?

In Rocky Elsom's biography, there is a story about how he was told to gain weight by the then-Tahs coach (think it was Link?). So he took to eating 6-8 full BBQ chickens a day. Used to carry them around in an esky and everything.

I think Ned needs to get on the Elsom diet.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In Rocky Elsom's biography, there is a story about how he was told to gain weight by the then-Tahs coach (think it was Link?). So he took to eating 6-8 full BBQ chickens a day. Used to carry them around in an esky and everything.

I think Ned needs to get on the Elsom diet.

He was Renaissance Rocky.
hound-8.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The great Irony of that tale is Elsom played better lighter. Played above his weight because he had good technique.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember Adam Freier saying as one of the perennially under weight he and a couple of others used to down litres of water before weight-ins

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I remember Adam Freier saying as one of the perennially under weight he and a couple of others used to down litres of water before weight-ins

Would've been easier to take some ammodium and not poop for a week. Could easily added another 5kg.

Moon Dog

Stan Wickham (3)

We are behind the ABs in all positions !