• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
23 for the first test:

Sio, Moore, Ala'alatoa
Coleman, Arnold
Fardy, Hooper, Timani
Genia, Foley, Haylett-Petty, Hunt, Kuridrani, Folau, Beale

Reserves: Polota-Nau, Smith, Kepu, Tui, McMahon, Phipps, Hodge, Naivalu
Think that's pretty close to our best team.

Game plan to beat it? Same as for a while.
Heaps of pressure on the lineouts, marking up on Coleman and fardy forcing the others to be the target

Dropping bombs on Foley's wing (if he's there)

All attack directed at whoever out of Beale/Foley/DHP/Izzy is in the line

Lots of pressure on both Foley and Genias kicks

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Rebels won one game all season, the Reds won the same number as the Waratahs and the Force and Brumbies won two more games.

Suggesting that there should be no Waratahs in the matchday 23 for the first test this year is absolutely sensationalism.

Yes its been a more than sad season for Aus. It we are talking form though, it isnt simply end of season table position. For current form let's look at the trend over the last 5 games (most recent game first).

Brumbies: L-L-W-W-W
Force: W-W-L-W-L
Reds: L-W-L-L-W
Waratahs: L-L-L-L-W
Rebels: L-L-L-L-L

With that guide there is little reason to go beyond a combined Brumbies-Force national team and possibly the bulk from the Force.

I don't think it's completely without merit for a fan to claim that no Waratah deserves a gold jersey. Yes it applies equally to the Reds.

It would be an over-simplification of course, but some humility from the 'tahs and Reds might not go astray right now. Shit of a year and it is not possible to be looking forward to the RC.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We don't need humility, we need pride. Pride in the jersey, at the national and the provincial levels.

Who cares what the fans think? It's what is in the players' hearts and minds that counts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was never picked over those players mate but once he was in he wasn't it and stayed

I absolutely agree his time in gold was good.

My point was that he didn't exactly miss out to a bunch of dud players who were offered unfair favouritism before he got a crack though.

His ability to play at the top level tailed off incredibly quickly once we was out of the Wallabies. He lost his pace within a season or so mostly due to his dodgy knees I believe.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I absolutely agree his time in gold was good.

My point was that he didn't exactly miss out to a bunch of dud players who were offered unfair favouritism before he got a crack though.

His ability to play at the top level tailed off incredibly quickly once we was out of the Wallabies. He lost his pace within a season or so mostly due to his dodgy knees I believe.
Yeh not sure what he is doing now. He is gearing up for something though.

I always thought he deserved a spot earlier personally

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
We don't need humility, we need pride. Pride in the jersey, at the national and the provincial levels.

Who cares what the fans think? It's what is in the players' hearts and minds that counts.

True, we need pride in the jersey. But it needs to be internal, not external and all talk and showy. In that sense, it has the appearance of humility.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
All players want to play for the Wallabies.

Some (and probably a half) would do it for free, some are raised in the expectation of the pay cheque if the player goes all the way.

In other words some are genuinely passionate about the jersey, what it means and what it represents, others seem to have their hand out and the jersey guarantees a payday.

PS I'm not saying for a moment that Wallabies each shouldn't be paid a lot - they should be. It's the mindset of certain individuals within the group and also franchises

Reactions: dru

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Who should be captain?
It's obvious Moore is past it, unless he can still gather enough speed to run water and captain from the waterboy role.
Hooper meanwhile has the opposite problem, decent player but worst captain I think I've seen. Apart from the team not listening fiasco watching him week to week in the role for the Tahs, arggghhh.

And I don't rate pocock as a captain based on past captaining.

I'd suggest genia but his form is too shite.

So the answer short and long term is....

Some say Coleman? Is having the hardman captain the right call?

Wheres our hodgo type figure in the current wallabies??? Or eales?

As the Don would say. Sad.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
True, we need pride in the jersey. But it needs to be internal, not external and all talk and showy. In that sense, it has the appearance of humility.

Agree. I'd call the All Blacks humble. It a very different thing to (not having) pride in the jersey.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In terms of selections, despite almost every poster in this forum wanting a different 23, I think we'll all have moments of fury / euphoria throughout the upcoming tests.

Why?

Look at how many fucking games the Wallabies are playing this year!

19 Aug - AUS vs. NZ
26 Aug - NZ vs. AUS
09 Sep - AUS vs. SA
16 Sep - AUS vs. ARG
01 Oct - SA vs. AUS
08 Oct - ARG vs. AUS
21 Oct - AUS vs. NZ
28 Oct - AUS vs. BAR
?? OCT - AUS vs. BAR
04 Nov - JAP vs. AUS
12 Nov - WAL vs. AUS
18 Nov - ENG vs. AUS
25 Nov - SCO vs. AUS

13 games in 14 weeks across almost as many countries.

We'll need to take a large squad or we'll be coming home with a very small one.

At this rate Michael Hooper will play 400 tests before retiring.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
In terms of selections, despite almost every poster in this forum wanting a different 23, I think we'll all have moments of fury / euphoria throughout the upcoming tests.

Why?

19 Aug - AUS vs. NZ
26 Aug - NZ vs. AUS
09 Sep - AUS vs. SA
16 Sep - AUS vs. ARG
01 Oct - SA vs. AUS
08 Oct - ARG vs. AUS
21 Oct - AUS vs. NZ
28 Oct - AUS vs. BAR
?? OCT - AUS vs. BAR
04 Nov - JAP vs. AUS
12 Nov - WAL vs. AUS
18 Nov - ENG vs. AUS
25 Nov - SCO vs. AUS

Sheer quantity of games are definitely not helping our performances i dont think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Why?

19 Aug - AUS vs. NZ
26 Aug - NZ vs. AUS
09 Sep - AUS vs. SA
16 Sep - AUS vs. ARG
01 Oct - SA vs. AUS
08 Oct - ARG vs. AUS
21 Oct - AUS vs. NZ
28 Oct - AUS vs. BAR
?? OCT - AUS vs. BAR
04 Nov - JAP vs. AUS
12 Nov - WAL vs. AUS
18 Nov - ENG vs. AUS
25 Nov - SCO vs. AUS

At this rate Michael Hooper will play 400 tests before retiring.
That is ridiculous.
Squad?
Anyone with a contract will get a cap.
And infected with whatever this disease is.