• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Am I the only one who wants Douglas to get another run? Carter deserved a shot, but over the years he has earnt a shot in Super Rugby, only to fall short physically in test rugby and I think Tui is still far to raw to be a mainstay Wallaby in 2018, and if you can't be a regular, dependable wallaby in 2018, then you shouldn't be in consideration for WC in 2019, just not enough time. Rodda is very quickly catching up to, and probably in 2018 overtaking Simmons.

For me, we have already brought in new guys Coleman and Arnold, but neither of these guys are that young, and I don't think it's too clever to have young fresh meat as the backup to guys just starting their test career. (like having both Hanigan and Dempsey as no.6's, whilst Hanigans most effective mentor, and actual current best no6 Fardy didn't get an invite)

Douglas has been on the outer for the Reds, but him and Rodda were absolute beasts V Brumbies the other week, absolutely all over the physical encounters against the likes of Carter and Fardy.

TBH, my 4 locks for the RChampionship in 2018 would be Coleman, Arnold, Simmons and Douglas. If people all over and aren't available short notice for key games, I'd rather bring in a 28 year old hugely experienced wallaby who still has a number of good years left in them including a WC cycle, then bringing in ANOTHER development player into the deep end.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
It's because he's really struggled to turn it on physically. I think primarily due to some serious injuries. He's never returned to 2014 form, was fairly average even in 2015.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can't see Douglas being called in myself.

Will Naivalu be fit for the first AB test? In note a few people are picking him - and I would too - but I thought he was out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We don't need humility, we need pride. Pride in the jersey, at the national and the provincial levels.

Who cares what the fans think? It's what is in the players' hearts and minds that counts.

And exactly what have you seen in the hearts and minds of the Tahs this season? Actually, I think that we do agree but that you have as yet failed to recognise it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it is imperative that we include Reece Hodge in the starting side somewhere, just for his long range penalty kicking ability to keep oppositions a bit more cautious in their own half. But he has shown in his young career already that he is also a good, solid performer. Hunt is now all the rage for the 12 spot, and understandably so, so Hodge needs a new spot to start. At the moment, I think that is at No 13 in TK's spot. His defense one on one is very good, and I see no reason (Nathan Grey's influence aside) that he couldn't fit into the defensive structure at 13 successfully.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I see a couple of posters have come at me claiming Brumby bias for advocating no Tahs in the first test match. I'd invite them to look closely at the players I nominated instead, and try to justify that accusation when for example the largest number of suggested players come from the Force.

The point of my post was not to be biassed towards the Brumbies, but to be anti-Tahs for the excrement they have dealt us this Super Rugby season.

Nevertheless, I have no doubt at all that the team will include the usual suspects from the Tahs. While I think there is an argument to say that DHP ought to replace Folau at 15, Izzy is a quality player and will be there somewhere. Foley will survive because there is no other alternative at No 10.

But I am more than ever convinced that the forward pack needs some over-hauling, and I would rather see Hooper on the bench to come on and carve up in the last 20 minutes. Hardwick would be my starting No 7 in a hard nut backrow comprising Fardy, Hardwick and Timani.

To all my accusers, I am not unduly supporting the Brumbies. I have said a few times, and just above, that I'd have Hodge at 13 in place of TK. I am also bewildered by the selection of Kyle Godwin in the squad.

Now, I'd like to see those couple of posters come clean and really own up to identifying the Tahs players they think really deserve, or don't deserve as the case may be, a spot in the first RC test.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Do we have any clarification when Isi Naisarani is available to be a Wob?

He is the only "Aussie" 8 we have that appears to be viable

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think most Tahs supporters are only suggesting to include the three Tahs who have easily been the team's best players this season in the starting XV. Hooper, Foley and Folau. I think it is overwhelmingly likely those players will be included and rightfully so.

Hooper has been the Tahs best player again this season. He will not be dropped from the Wallabies because the Tahs had a terrible season.

Outside of that I think Kepu will be on the bench for the Wallabies and I think is still in the best two THPs in Australia.

I highly doubt Hodge will play 13 for the Wallabies. He had some defensive issues there is his short stint against Scotland and I don't think Kuridrani/Kerevi will be passed over for Hodge's long kicking boot.

Your post suggesting no Waratahs should be selected because of their terrible season was completely over the top when compared against the other Australian teams and also looking at the performance of individual players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we have any clarification when Isi Naisarani is available to be a Wob?

He is the only "Aussie" 8 we have that appears to be viable

Not until early next year I believe. I think he played 2015 club rugby in Brisbane, so sometime next year. Unless he now has to wait 5 years? But I don't think that's the case.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it true that Latu did not turn up for Tahs training? Reported on the latest podcast. True or not?

Yes. He missed the Thursday session before the game against the Jaguares to attend his partner's university graduation. It is unknown whether he asked to miss training and was denied and then missed it anyway or whether he didn't ask at all.

He then got injured in club rugby which is why he missed the Force game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hooper, Foley and Folau have been near the best Wobs too, they will be there.

It is pure fantasy to think they won't be there

I don't mind at all the concept of having DHP & Folau on the wings with Beale at 14

But as usual tis the pigs that will be the issue, Hooper will be selected and building a backrow around him is the goal

Timani hasn't done enough, neither has Hanigan. Don't get me started on Dempsey. Hardwick is too small.

Fardy isn't the answer either if the goal is to have have a counter ruck, strong running and cleanout focused 6. I am at a loss to come up with some viable options.

McMahon means the other option has to be an effect third lineout option, and I still see him a another bench option.

Don't know

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be interesting to know. He is our most talented upcoming hooker but it would be fair to assume he does not like hard yakka and may not be willing to do everything possible for the cause, a typical failing of many Tahs this year.
We don't need that attitude in the Wallaby setup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be interesting to know. He is our most talented upcoming hooker but it would be fair to assume he does not like hard yakka and may not be willing to do everything possible for the cause, a typical failing of many Tahs this year.
We don't need that attitude in the Wallaby setup.

You would hope that he is busting a gut (literally) to get himself as fit as possible since the June series.

I tend to think he will make the Wallaby squad again as the third hooker and it is up to him to have his conditioning right to earn selection this season.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
IMHO Robertson performed better than Sio and Smith in the recent tests. I have not watched much of the Force this year but surely they have an adequate LH prop?
Sio is on the way back from injury TBF but he does seem to have trouble adjusting his technique when THs have figured him out. He just keeps doing the same thing and ends up getting penalized.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hanigan did not make an impression in June other than he is not quite ready physically. Another year in the gym and he may be right.
Fardy and McMahon are both off OS. How/why the hell did they push McMahon to leave anyway?
I would have Fardy in the RC squad along with RHP as 6s and Higgers as a 6/8. Fardy to start against the ABs and mentor RHP for a start against the Pumas or SA later in the tournament.
McMahon is a very good test prospect but there is no point in playing him at test level again until he re-commits. He has performed OK at test level so far but his best is ahead of him. We need to find our next long term 6 and 8s.
Unless of course McMahon could be there as a 7 knowing that Pocock will be back to fill that spot next year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Hanigan will be in the squad but don't think he should be in the 23 again anytime soon. Dempsey should and I think will drop out and Higginbotham might too.

If Hanigan failed to make an impression, Higginbotham was even further off the mark.

I want to see Ross Haylett-Petty in the Rugby Championship squad.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
OK BR, the Tahs I would nominate to be in the match-day 23 are:

1) Hooper @ 7
2) Folau @ 15 or even wing
3) Foley @ 10.
4) Kepu as bench tight-head behind AA

Whilst we all recognize the 17' season as a disaster (not just the tahs, no team won more than 6 from 16 games. I would hardly call the Brumbies win/loss record as one for the ages), these guys have put in every week and are arguably the best players in their position in Aust at this time.

You could also make a case for Beale as he killed it in Europe, however I'd be inclined to have him as a bench option at this stage. However as he did't play this year, he is hardly responsible for any of this years dross.

Anyway, this is an opinion site, so you have yours and I have mine.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
McMahon left because he was offered the kind of cashmoney that makes you drop everything and leave. Far more than he would ever get in this failing rugby economy. I would have left as well.