• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I also hope that we can finally put the 'Tui to 6' discussion to bed, for two reasons:

1. He's clearly a lock.
2. Dempsey has stepped up and grabbed the 6 jersey.

I hope he gets a few starts on the EOYT, though, because I'd love to see more of him. One of the most underrated plays of the game on Saturday was his take of the final kick-off. It was a really tough grab but he did it under immense pressure.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It is about time a superstar burst onto our scene.

Valetini? Looks pretty good to me, for a boy.

Yeah but the kid has missed a LOT of rugby over the last two seasons. Broken leg, busted ankle, busted thumb.

Give him a proper off-season to, … you know, … get ready for his first game of Super Rugby.

Let's not forget this guy was still eighteen last month. Wait another six months. A few games for the Brumbies and a second stint at U20s.

Then hype him up with massive expectation.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least now we've got wingers that are worth Folau passing to them. For a period of time our attack was basically 'pass it to Israel'.
I am still dirty on Alan jones past blast on Israel Folau being overpaid and over rated. For many including me he is the sort of player you go to games to watch as that constant X factor. Whilst handles himself with aplomb as was impressed with his recent interview and how he handled the marriage vote issue. I don't agree with his view on marriage equality but respect how he aired his views and position. Comes across as such a Humble guy. From a PR and marketing perspective the guy is worth his weight how he conducts himself on and off the field imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah but the kid has missed a LOT of rugby over the last two seasons. Broken leg, busted ankle, busted thumb.

Give him a proper off-season to, … you know, … get ready for his first game of Super Rugby.

Let's not forget this guy was still eighteen last month. Wait another six months. A few games for the Brumbies and a second stint at U20s.

Then hype him up with massive expectation.
Player maybe to go on spring tour as development player?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I am still dirty on Alan jones past blast on Israel Folau being overpaid and over rated. For many including me he is the sort of player you go to games to watch as that constant X factor. Whilst handles himself with aplomb as was impressed with his recent interview and how he handled the marriage vote issue. I don't agree with his view on marriage equality but respect how he aired his views and position. Comes across as such a Humble guy. From a PR and marketing perspective the guy is worth his weight how he conducts himself on and off the field imo.

There was a great article written by Sekope Kepu about Folau that was on the Green and Gold front page a couple of days ago that echoes your sentiments. It's nigh on impossible to stop a 6 foot 4 100kg+ guy with no body fat running straight at you but in a 1 on 1 with Folau's speed and step you'd be lucky to even get a hand on him. Sure he's not the perfect fullback, he crabs sideways sometimes and his kicking game is below par, but he's probably the best attacking player in the world--who is going to stop him if he gets into a bit of space in the backfield?

T

TOCC

There was a great article written by Sekope Kepu about Folau that was on the Green and Gold front page a couple of days ago that echoes your sentiments. It's nigh on impossible to stop a 6 foot 4 100kg+ guy with no body fat running straight at you but in a 1 on 1 with Folau's speed and step you'd be lucky to even get a hand on him. Sure he's not the perfect fullback, he crabs sideways sometimes and his kicking game is below par, but he's probably the best attacking player in the world--who is going to stop him if he gets into a bit of space in the backfield?

I don’t think anyone has ever doubted Folaus ability to break tackles and get across the advantage line. His issue at fullback is his passing and kicking skill set which are lacking. He is predictable in that he will run it back 90% of the time, which doesn’t make it any easier to defend against him but it does shape their alignment when they kick to Folau. New Zealand are happy to let their wingers and fullback chase because of the low chance of a kick return or wide pass to a supporting winger.

Folau makes life harder for himself by his own lack of variety in how he kick returns.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I also hope that we can finally put the 'Tui to 6' discussion to bed, for two reasons:

1. He's clearly a lock.
2. Dempsey has stepped up and grabbed the 6 jersey.

I hope he gets a few starts on the EOYT, though, because I'd love to see more of him. One of the most underrated plays of the game on Saturday was his take of the final kick-off. It was a really tough grab but he did it under immense pressure.

Does not look like will see Dempsey or Tui on spring tour....pity as Dempsey in particular showed against BAA BAA's player in form.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But his performance today for the Wallabies on the wing has left me wondering if he is capable of playing that position at test level? Quite underwhelming.

Looked pretty underwhelming. I think, if he had always played wing, he'd probably be very good there. But he hasn't, and he just looked like he had to keep reminding himself he wasn't 15. A bit lost really.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
But his performance today for the Wallabies on the wing has left me wondering if he is capable of playing that position at test level? Quite underwhelming.
Think he was in the team to put bums on seats more than anything else. Definitely looked as though he'd clocked off for the season after last week's performance, didn't really look to get involved. Not that the Wallabies backs every really got anything going.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah TOCC, I remember that. But right now, I think it is No 15 or nothing for Izzy. When he fills the 15 spot, we just have to deal with his deficiencies as best we can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah TOCC, I remember that. But right now, I think it is No 15 or nothing for Izzy. When he fills the 15 spot, we just have to deal with his deficiencies as best we can.

so the same as every other player in the team?

I wish the whole team was as "lacking" as Folau

It is like going out with a super model and complaining because she has small tits