• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agreed fp. I'm sure there was an intention to play the territory to a large extent but it through some poor choices and execution it ended up being forced on them as so much of the game was played in our half, and especially in our 22 - which meant there was little option but to kick it back to try and gain a bit of territory.

I think the lineout was as big a factor here as the shit kicking and other decision making - wtf happened?

The plan was only play with the ball in hand in their half. Kick from our own half.

It is a good plan, we just couldn't execute (in the kicking department).

For the ABs, play Barnes next to Cooper and let him be first receiver 80% of the time. If Beale is out it might almost force our hand in this. Cooper to FB remainder of team the same?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you lose 8 of your own lineouts, and give away a scrum penalty - that's nine set piece turnovers right there. If you combine that with not wanting to play with the ball in your half against an opposition with better kicking than you, well, no wonder the Wallabies had no possession. Even on the counter the Wallabies didn't look to run the ball from deep inside their own half, which they have done at other times this year.

It looked like that took a more conservative game plan in, and if you do that your set pieces need to be 100%.

BTW, agree with Fat Prop. You spend that long on defence, you can't expect to suddenly build phases in attack without having time to get your energy back first. More experienced, or cynical teams, would've been slowing the game down more at every break if they'd had to defend so much.

I thought it was 5 lost lineouts?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Could've been 5 lineouts lost - someone was giving a running tally at the end of the game in the live chat that had it at 8. I am not sure if the 5 include the Samo penalty (which we lost beforehand) and a few where we knocked on / screwed up in clearing the ball, which I reckon the person counting would have included.

At least Deans' use of the bench this game was much, much better. In the end he got the bench usage nearly perfect for how the game went - only questions are if he should've taken off Cooper earlier, but then he would've had to have put on Burgess for Beale, and if Slipper should've been on a bit earlier for Kepu.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What constitutes a lineout loss for rugbystats? A steal, or a knock on from the top as well? Could be right, though, would need to rewatch the game.

Although, the possession stats from rugbystats at 52% to 48% look very, very wrong to me.

edit: the thing that got me as well was that we took about 30 minutes to jump on defence - including when we were deep in their territory.

edit2: they also have that Boks winning 4 against the Wallabies' throwing, surely this isn't just the sum of 3 lost + 1 not straight (seeing as "not straight" is not winning against the throw?).

W

Waylon

There seem to be no sweeping backline moves any more.

McCabe..........smashed behind the ad line.......dies with the ball...........slow recycle..............kick

I hope his shoulder is farked

Enter stage left.......an attacking 12

Unleash the backs

Tits and backs should not be fettered

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Watching the game last week, I was reminded of Captain Benjamin L. Willard's words: "I don't see any method at all"

apocalypse_now-1-300x154.jpg

Reactions: BPC

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would prefer just better box kicks, the concept is good, the execution was average

Not to mention that our chase was really woeful all game. Even the good kicks had poor chases, meaning that the Boks had plenty of time to give the ball back, with interest.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The best chaser was actually Cooper. I don't know what a lot of the other backs and loosies were doing most of the time?

His kick just before our try was only chased by Elsom and Cooper. Then Genia's box kick just before Beale's break was only chased by Cooper (putting pressure on FDP who didn't get a good kick away).

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wallaby supporters: made from steel. Fortunately the team have shown rather more starch.

Haha groucho didn't think you'd be one to fall for that. Although I do think we will have a better chance if it stays dry

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
FWIW, as of this hour, and days before the match, the forecast for Sunday in Auckland is rain and NW winds.

B

BRIX

As eluded to in the live chat with Jollyswagman, Ash and myself - the All Blacks will play a very Hurricanesque offense with Weepu, Cruden, Nonu and Smith all starting. What does that mean for us? alert at all times for the inside ball, short pass and Cruden offload when he takes on the line (and he will). It's a no brainer but Cruden must be kept at bay and wrapped up at the chest rather than bootlaces. Nonu and Smith need to see the shade of our umbrella defense. With the ball in hand, and in lieu of pointless chip kicks and dinks in our own half, It wouldn't be a bad tactic to employ grubbers at the corners rather than through the middle when we're 30-38 out (once a few phases have been strung together and nothing is doing).

As mentioned previously, it's not the kicks that bother me it's the execution and poor chase. Furthermore, I don't think turning them around, showing the same starch in defense as we did last week and putting pressure on their set piece would be that bad of an idea seeing they will no doubt look to do the same to us (especially if we are to make a change at 15).

Status
Not open for further replies.