• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Things that get up my nose about rugby these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Rugby commentators should have to know "The Laws of the Game" before they are allowed to commentate on a game.

...Marto and Tim Horan should not be allowed to commentate on Reds games and Kearns with Waratahs.

M

Muttonbird

Well said Lee Grant. The first complaint, try celebrations, is falling on deaf ears if the picks on "The Rugby Moment of the Year..." thread is anything to go by. ::)

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Must be a pretty uneventful year rugby-wise when try celebrations are considered a highlight of the year.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I really dislike the half-back meerkating. The referee should order "play on" immediately the half-back is able to pick up the pill, and the other side should be able to attack immediately, not only "through the gate". I also dislike the fact that the rolling maul is still legal, plus the scrum fetish in the modern game. The scrum is there to restart play, or to go for a push-over from five metres, it is not an end in itself. Scrum penalties, let alone cards from scrum infringements, should not decide who wins and who loses.

I have always enjoyed the referee's who call when the ball is out for that reason.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
...Marto and Tim Horan should not be allowed to commentate on Reds games and Kearns with Waratahs.

This is why i like Gordon Bray. I guess they try and get Greg Clarke to be that guy. He is not that guy however.

I do however the above commentators comments about how the players are playing the game.

But Mr Bray is the man. He is probably the number one fan of the game and knows almost every stat. As mere mortals and fans of the game i feel more involved with his comments and credit his commentary to learning, loving, understanding the greatest game that exists on the fucking planet.

Reactions: DPK

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Part I

Cheap shots
There were more punches thrown in days gone by, but somehow I find that old practice more acceptable than the cheap shots we see today. McCaw is a pain in the arse but nothing he has done was worth the sly knee to the head Quade Cooper gave him. Sure, it didn't hurt much and QC (Quade Cooper) got away with it, but I have no doubt a majority of neutrals would judge that it was done on purpose, even if the Commissioner didn't.

Cheap shots would disappear if rucking was allowed, there is no way QC (Quade Cooper) would risk being stuck on the ground getting torn up by 15 pairs of All Black boots....Rucking could also solve your issues with Tattoos as it would be a cheap method of removal

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't mind a little bit of niggle and spite. To me it illustraits that the players really dislike the opposition and want to win the contest rather than just collect their pay check after the game.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
- Some (an increasing number) of parents at Club Juniors matches who mouth off about referee decisions from the sidelines either at the ref or just amongst themselves and maintain a running stream of bitchy whingeing about the decisions the ref doesn't make.
- Some of the younger players who just seem a little too focussed on Brand Them, regardless of their skills and abilities.
- The Jerseys. I mean are they playing Rugby or going surfing? How do the forwards bind in particular?
- Scrum Penalties - too many of them, too quickly awarded and too technical.
- Crooked Scrum feeds - starting to look like Mungoball feeds
- Boo-ing at games. It is unsportsmanlike conduct.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What's not cheap about raking your studs up and down someone's back?

Bring it right back. No more sealing off the ball thank you very much. Teams like New Zealand and Munster will see half their breakdown tactics being nullified.

Besides, making nice looking patterns used to be an artform.

I like this thread by the way. Old school. I can kind of deal with the celebrations but the hugging should result in red. Rugby players hugging like bitches. Not for me.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Poofy Jerseys. The best jerseys are simple and for crying out loud, Rugby Jerseys should have a bloody collar.

Players who don't pull their socks up. It's tradition and a symbol of pride and it gives me the shits when they don't. JOC (James O'Connor), you need to pull yours up all the way.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
If there was no slow-mo and 4 million camera angles the players wouldn't be such poofs and complain about it. Thesedays with how fast phase play is you should be congratulated and awarded for being able to put in a cheap shot. Jokes on you when you get caught because you will.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
If there was no slow-mo and 4 million camera angles the players wouldn't be such poofs and complain about it. Thesedays with how fast phase play is you should be congratulated and awarded for being able to put in a cheap shot. Jokes on you when you get caught because you will.

Everything about this... Except for the fast play and camera angles... more camera angles please... Also, we need invisible linesmen, how annoying is that linesman blocking the view on the sideline tracking camera in the last try against france in 2010...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Interesting. I hate that. The ref has no business telling the opposition if the ball is out or not. Unless they ask.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

You must play halfback then.

If you don't like it blame the bloke who didn't keep it in the ruck or the half back who did not pick it up in time.

Stops the bloody ref blowing long arms from players being 'offside' its rugby. There should be a contest for the football. If i wanted to play mungoball i would go and do that with the degenerates who do.

F

Falco

Totally agree re scrums!! A quick & sensible route to restoring the art & the meaning of scrummaging.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What gets up my nose? People complaining about jerseys. Hurts my ears too, now that I mention it.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I love rugby, and think today's game is more enjoyable than ever to watch. However, in the spirit of this thread..

1. Players clapping when a referee makes a decision which favours their team. What possible purpose does this serve? Is it an attempt to ingratiate oneself to the referee? I think it's more about annoying the opposing team.

2. Teams jumping up and down in unison when celebrating after winning a title or trophy. Why do they need to jump up and down on the spot together? They didn't do this twenty years ago. I don't remember the 1987 ABs or 1991 Wallabies jumping up and down together when they won their respective RWCs. This is blatantly a soccerism, but it seems pro rugby teams have adopted the habit. It looks pathetic, arrogant and juvenile.

Status
Not open for further replies.