• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The most interesting point in Masters article (aside from the Governance report conspiracy) is:
Allen points out the ARU are also looking at him as a sevens player.

There is some truth in this because the Falou press release from the ARU says:

Matt Carrol:
“Depending on his development as a Rugby player, there is an opportunity for Folau to achieve higher honours, in Sevens as well as the
15-a-side game.

Why did they even mention 7s?

To be honest, if I entertain Masters figure of $400k from the ARU, I'm not that concerned if they pay him that for 7s. I would if it was solely for the Wallabies. Most of us would acknowledge that sevens does not receive much attention in Australia. Our national team is made up with under 20s and they leave when a
Super Rugby contract is offered. Most of them are fringe players when they make a squad. The ARU aren't going to let Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) join the sevens circuit anytime soon. As demonstrated by the kids at Keebra Park High winning the schools rugby 7s comp 3 years in a row, League players make good 7s players.

Perhaps fortuitous timing has allowed the ARU to see how a high profile League players does in 7s. Could this become a beach head into RL talent that didn't eventuate after Rogers et al.? This would allow the ARU to grow Rugby through 7s without diverting our talent away from the Wallabies.

I predict that Folau will run out for Australia at the Gold Coast sevens in November. It will bring the publicity to 7s that is required in Australia and boost the tickets sales to that event.

I believe both Rogers and Sailor played 7s shortly after signing with Rugby. However 7s was a side show back then and their inclusion in 7s would have been designed to give them a taste of the game. This time round there is a lot more riding on 7s (i.e.Olympic Gold). Folau's inclusion would bring a lot more interest.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I think you're right. Perhaps if he extends his contract the above will eventuate.

EDIT: just read that it's a 12 month contract, so GC sevens in November could be on the radar.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The appearance of rugby 7s in the 2016 Olympics brings a whole new dimension to the internationalism of rugby. If handled correctly by ARU and the states, the possibilities are almost limitless for expansion (western Sydney, Victoria & other non rugby states), player development and recruitment of talented players from other sports.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hugh Jarse Unfortunately I can't see the change of coach coming until after the Lions at the earliest now and probably next World Cup if we somehow manage to win the BIL tour.

Still, at least the Folau thing provides a nice distraction from some of these concerns!

T

tranquility

I think Folau will be one of the better code hoppers. Whenever they talk about how hard it is going to be for him to get a spot at the Tahs and compare him to Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Berrick, Drew etc I just think in my head that as an athlete he is just so far ahead of these guys and basically ahead of everyone athletically in Australian rugby. If he can get his head around like the game like Lote, and stays around he will be a mainstay of the Wallaby backline for a long time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Folau will be one of the better code hoppers. Whenever they talk about how hard it is going to be for him to get a spot at the Tahs and compare him to Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Berrick, Drew etc I just think in my head that as an athlete he is just so far ahead of these guys and basically ahead of everyone athletically in Australian rugby. If he can get his head around like the game like Lote, and stays around he will be a mainstay of the Wallaby backline for a long time.

And remember that Berrick is ex-leaguie as well, although his game seems to have gone backwards under the coaching regimes in place at NSW and Aust recently.

Hopefully Folau learnt how to kick long in Aussie Rules, but has never and will never be taught the art of the chip kick in own half tactic recently favoured by the Wallabies (Berrick, Quade and Kurtley in particular).

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I wouldn't really consider guys that played Aus Schoolboys, then 2 or 3 years in the NRL system before coming back to rugby to be the same as the Sailor's, Tuquri's, Tahu's and Folau's.

Further to that, players like Rogers, Cross and Saffey, Aus Schoolboy players who played years of NRL and crossed back wouldn't really be considered the same either.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Berrick went to Ipswich Grammar School and was a standout rugby player at schoolboy level though..
I know that, the point being that his first choice after that for whatever reason was the Broncos. It's just another illustration that top class athletes can and do succeed in more that one code.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah I wouldn't really consider guys that played Aus Schoolboys, then 2 or 3 years in the NRL system before coming back to rugby to be the same as the Sailor's, Tuquri's, Tahu's and Folau's.

Further to that, players like Rogers, Cross and Saffey, Aus Schoolboy players who played years of NRL and crossed back wouldn't really be considered the same either.

What's the cutoff then?

Many, many players play both codes at junior level. Of the 3 players that you have named, Rogers was primarily league, but went to a rugby playing school and went straight to league after that before switching late in his career to rugby. Cross probably 50/50 emphasis, played junior league at rep level and went to rugby playing private school. Saffey primarily rugby as a junior but was picked up by league talent scouts and did well at NRL level before coming back.

Every single case is different and it's the players ability, physical attributes and attitude that will determine whether or not they will succeed, rather than the number of years that they have played a particular code.

It's another illustration of the need to look at athletes playing other codes. Everyone else is looking at ours.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The most interesting point in Masters article (aside from the Governance report conspiracy) is:

There is some truth in this because the Falou press release from the ARU says:

Matt Carrol:

Why did they even mention 7s?

To be honest, if I entertain Masters figure of $400k from the ARU, I'm not that concerned if they pay him that for 7s. I would if it was solely for the Wallabies. Most of us would acknowledge that sevens does not receive much attention in Australia. Our national team is made up with under 20s and they leave when a
Super Rugby contract is offered. Most of them are fringe players when they make a squad. The ARU aren't going to let Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) join the sevens circuit anytime soon. As demonstrated by the kids at Keebra Park High winning the schools rugby 7s comp 3 years in a row, League players make good 7s players.

Perhaps fortuitous timing has allowed the ARU to see how a high profile League players does in 7s. Could this become a beach head into RL talent that didn't eventuate after Rogers et al.? This would allow the ARU to grow Rugby through 7s without diverting our talent away from the Wallabies.

I predict that Folau will run out for Australia at the Gold Coast sevens in November. It will bring the publicity to 7s that is required in Australia and boost the tickets sales to that event.

I believe both Rogers and Sailor played 7s shortly after signing with Rugby. However 7s was a side show back then and their inclusion in 7s would have been designed to give them a taste of the game. This time round there is a lot more riding on 7s (i.e.Olympic Gold). Folau's inclusion would bring a lot more interest.
$400k is ridiculous and unjustifiable.
Since there's no path, defined or otherwise, through 7s to Wobblies how does playing 7s advance the Wobblies.
Is this all justified in the basis that it gives the mungoes the Tom tits?
He is a great experiment but to pay that for an experiment when he had nowhere to go: why would you do that???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
How much advertising/column inches/FTA TV minutes do you get for $400k?
Any one in marketing/advertising care to confirm.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Guys,

I can't see what Folau will do for the Tahs. The Tahs have an ability to take 1st class players and put them together to form a loosing team. Spending good money to buy/convert yet more 1st class players isn't going to do anything. They have to address the route cause, thier management culture.

If you wanted to write a PhD on management the Tahs would be a good case study, on what leadership mistakes can take a group of good players and consistently put them together to produce a loosing team. There would be lessons for all levels and types of management here.

My message to the Tahs would be "You're not getting any more money to buys talent until you have shown that you have fixed your route leadership problems".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
So from a FTA perspective IF needs to get about 40 minutes of TV time to justify his alleged salary on a purely advertising basis. Any blog/twitter/newsprint column inches are bonus.

80 x 30 seconds at $5000 per 30 seconds.

T

tranquility

A 30 second TV commercial during the news in Sydney alone is between $5-10k.

Based on my experience, a 30 second spot on a big show like "packed to the rafters" was worth about 30,000 in Sydney. However it all depends on what channel, and what discount that channel is offering to the company. Ie Mcdonalds would have a greater discount that Mitre 10 based on how much they spend on the network.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
But in a nutshell, $400,000 for the first bit of good rugby news in NSW in ages was a bargain, and will continue to be one as Israel continues to attract positive attention. Particularly when the ARU need to stir up enthusiasm in a Lions tour year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So from a FTA perspective IF needs to get about 40 minutes of TV time to justify his alleged salary on a purely advertising basis. Any blog/twitter/newsprint column inches are bonus.

80 x 30 seconds at $5000 per 30 seconds.
That assumes all publicity is good publicity.
Are we the dumb cousins of the AFL: this seems to have been the sole motivation for IF going to them.
They, of course, have virtually endless money to spend on marketing a well defined product whereas its questionable what the ARU and Tahs have to sell.
They sure aren't selling aspirations any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Have I missed something? A couple of my snouts are saying that Israel will be going to Uni next year.

Has this been confirmed or is it still speculation? I can't find anything in the papers (not that this is a surprise) that confirms anything.

I can understand why he may want to go to Uni but the reality is that he will probably be available for for about 2 or 3 games after his Tahs committments have been completed.

How much of a difference would he make to the profile of Sydney Uni?
If he had agreed to play for 2 Blues, Pirates or Hobbits, How many extra people will he get in to Foreshaw, Merrylands, or Concord?

I think there would be very little benefit to rugbydom if Folau were to join Gordon, Wicks, Easts, Uni or Norths.

Oh well, I am sure that there are very wise and astute persons in charge of Tahs Ltd, and ARU who are also apparently putting up some drinking tokens, and that they know exactly what is in the best interests of I Folau and Rugby. They will make a very sage decision, no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.