• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any issues with too many S15 players at any one club?

Depends who you ask. Often the clubs get players in positions they don't need so maybe some kind of draft system would work?

Canberra's Easts were shit in 2012 so they've got a mountain of Super Rugby players in 2013 and some people are kicking up a stink but really it's sensible.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Typical baseless Sydney Uni hate, whinging about success.

As an old two blues unit, we used to have the same hate of Randwick as they poached our best.

As I got older I simply realised that quality draws quality.

To me, more clubs reaching Uni's standards is a far better option than wishing to drag them down

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

As an old two blues unit, we used to have the same hate of Randwick as they poached our best.

To me, more clubs reaching Uni's standards is a far better option than wishing to drag them down

It's also something more to moan about.

New-shaped milk bottles tops? We're doomed. Doomed I tell ya. I blame the milkman. I blame management. I BLAME THE CEO! How can we possibly drink to our full potential with this going on, year after year? I may just make a thousand posts about it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You need to explain how more clubs will reach Unis standard, given that they are all as far i can tell only semi financially viable, when Uni is a well resourced club with large sponsors and so many S15 players in its roster that they cant all get a start on the same day.
And that is not a complaint about any of those facts. I'm not actually whining about Uni I am lamenting the lack of any sort of guiding hand that takes a mid term view of the good of the game.
The answer to my invitation is not, however, to tell us how well run Uni is - that's a given.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I don't 'hate' Sydney Uni or anyone else for that matter and I don't want to 'drag them down' as you say.

The point that I make is; they have the access to the vast majority of the best players in the Shute Shield, so the chances are that they will win most of the time. The evidence for this is the number of players that they have in their teams who have played junior/schoolboys rep level and the number of Super Rugby players they have. However, the evidence also suggests that in the last 5 years or so, when these same players have made the step up to super rugby level they don't seem to be equipped with the skills set to dominate at that level.

There could be many reasons for this such as, but not limited to:

The style of play employed by Uni
How they are prepared/coached for Colts and Grade rugby
The fact that they are so far above other teams that they aren't streched as often as they could be

I happen to think that it's not that good for the Waratahs when the club competition from which they draw most of their players is so unbalanced. Every other major code in the country has put measures in place to try as far as possible to make their flagship competition an even contest.

If you're suggesting that it's a good thing for rugby that one club is so dominant, then you're entitled to that view and we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

I'm on record on other posts as thinking that the style of game played by Uni isn't the optimum use of the talent that they have at their disposal. That doesn't mean that I think that teams should chuck it wide at every opportunity. It means that when you are going forward on the back of a dominant pack with solid ball from set pieces, you can play an expansive game rather than truck it up the field through the forwards all day.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

Who did you lose to Randwick?
I can think of Adrian McDonald but he spent some time at Eastwood too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You need to explain how more clubs will reach Unis standard, given that they are all as far i can tell only semi financially viable, when Uni is a well resourced club with large sponsors and so many S15 players in its roster that they cant all get a start on the same day.
And that is not a complaint about any of those facts. I'm not actually whining about Uni I am lamenting the lack of any sort of guiding hand that takes a mid term view of the good of the game.
The answer to my invitation is not, however, to tell us how well run Uni is - that's a given.

When I was playing they were in 2nd division, they got together and sorted themselves out, those "large sponsors" of a "well resourced club" are a testament to that process.

T

TOCC

I don't agree with the sentiment that teams should be able to recruit and spend without limitations..

Creating balance in a competition improves competitiveness, it also offsets the highs and lows which teams go through and mitigates the giant leap that teams at the bottom of the comp face to reach the top..

It's precisely the reason all these competitions have a salary cap...you don't want to hold clubs back, but you don't want the gap growing too great either..

Anyway, in the case of Israel, he is likely to play maybe 2 Shute Shield matches and to me it seems like a missed opportunity to place him at a rugby club in the heart of the region(western suburbs) in which he has the biggest profile.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When I was playing they were in 2nd division, they got together and sorted themselves out, those "large sponsors" of a "well resourced club" are a testament to that process.
A long long time ago before the game was pro: besides which that is exactly what I suggested wouldn't explain how the other clubs could get up off the floor.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
he was told if he moved to Randwick he would be a Wallaby, hey presto, guess what happened?
Same thing in relation to a bloke who had been on an EOYT tour, came to Sydney but did not play for the Wicks and was told he would need to move to Randwick if he wanted to play tests.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A long long time ago before the game was pro: besides which that is exactly what I suggested wouldn't explain how the other clubs could get up off the floor.

Totally agree.

I can't recall Sydney Uni being in 2nd Div. It couldn't have been for long. The only time I think it might have been possible would have been in mid 70s when SRU expanded to up to 20 teams I think, including UNSW, Macquarie Uni, Hornsby, Pt Hacking etc. It wasn't sustainable and they split into 2 x 10 teams with automatic promotion/relegation for a couple of years afterwards. Then they abruptly stopped the promotion/relegation and Easts and Norths were both trapped in 2nd division for quite a few years.

Uni were weak for a couple of decades after that. It wasn't until their place in the competition was brought into question in the 90s that they realised the value of the education that they could provide for young players. They haven't looked back since.

Its an apples and oranges comparision. No matter how 'well run' the other 11 clubs are, there's just no way that they could provide a university education, plus access to gyms, pools and medical facilities on-site.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Totally agree.

I can't recall Sydney Uni being in 2nd Div. It couldn't have been for long. The only time I think it might have been possible would have been in mid 70s when SRU expanded to up to 20 teams I think, including UNSW, Macquarie Uni, Hornsby, Pt Hacking etc. It wasn't sustainable and they split into 2 x 10 teams with automatic promotion/relegation for a couple of years afterwards. Then they abruptly stopped the promotion/relegation and Easts and Norths were both trapped in 2nd division for quite a few years.

Uni were weak for a couple of decades after that. It wasn't until their place in the competition was brought into question in the 90s that they realised the value of the education that they could provide for young players. They haven't looked back since.

Its an apples and oranges comparision. No matter how 'well run' the other 11 clubs are, there's just no way that they could provide a university education, plus access to gyms, pools and medical facilities on-site.
Dont worry Quick Hands they were there: and they've never forgotten it. I think its what motivates them to stay ahead of the curve admin wise.
fatprop will correct me on my history but I think uni and norths went down the year after that 20 team comp and Uni got back up and norths took 12 years to do so.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Dont worry Quick Hands they were there: and they've never forgotten it. I think its what motivates them to stay ahead of the curve admin wise.
fatprop will correct me on my history but I think uni and norths went down the year after that 20 team comp and Uni got back up and norths took 12 years to do so.

That sounds right. From memory Easts and Norths were in 2nd Div when promotion/relegation stopped in 1981. Easts got back up in mid 80s and Norths came back up with Drummoyne in about 1991.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It just seems a shame if IF has signed with Uni.

I'll bet that there are some pretty disappointed players, administrators, and unpaid volunteer development officers from Sydney's Deep Inner West that would be gutted at this news.

The Emus seem to be struggling big time (depending on who you listen to), the Two Blues seem to be coming right after a couple of years of dedicated hard work from the GM and Coach Christini. IF playing the two or three cameo Shute Shield games on the Western side of King Georges Road would have been a marvellous boost to the clubs in the west.

Uni need another Super Player, like Jay Leno needs another car. A very very short sighted decision,

Will Issy actually be studying at Uni perchance?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hugh Jarse your last line raises a very good point: different considerations apply to kids coming out of school and adults and actually attending (it doesn't matter whether they're studying) Sydney Uni and playing.
I believe (courtesy of my long departed old man) that in the olden days you could not play for Uni unless you were studying there enrolled which created its own problems of turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.