• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Khunt was not the youngest player to represent Australia and in my opinion should never have done so either.
If not for injury to more than 2 NRL fullbacks he would not have.

Ah i thought we were talking about Folau...

In either case Karmichael is a much more talented player then Folau, he is not as physically gifted but definitely more talented as a playmaker.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think the youngest player ever to represent Australia at RL deserves a bit more credibility then to be called 'fair'.

Folau is the youngest player ever to play test footy for Australia at RL, at 18 years and 194 days.

Although Geoff Starling played a tour game at 18 and 181 days.

Edit: oops, missed the previous post!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
K Hunt making a solid transition to AFL and playing his role well.

KHunt was solid for Biarritz, even playing at 10 on occasion. He played well on some big stages including the Top 14 Final and various Heineken Cup games.

I think he'd be a really good 12 or 15 in Union is he can over for realsies. It's probably a bit much to say he'd certainly be involved with the Wallabies in year 1 but stranger things have happened, I think he could be a Super Rugby starter within a month if he came over.

Next year is the last year of his Footy contract and as a cashed up 27 year old with two seasons till a Union World Cup perhaps he'll play our code. I doubt it though but it's always a possibility.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Khunt was not the youngest player to represent Australia and in my opinion should never have done so either.
If not for injury to more than 2 NRL fullbacks he would not have.

Opinions are funny things & unfortunately everyone has one & thinks theirs is the right one. Sometimes opinions are just downright ridiculous though...... this is one of those times.

Hunt would have been a great Rugby player to, if he'd given it a good shot.....

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Opinions are funny things & unfortunately everyone has one & thinks theirs is the right one. Sometimes opinions are just downright ridiculous though.. this is one of those times.

Hunt would have been a great Rugby player to, if he'd given it a good shot...

I think him playing for a Super Rugby team is an outside chance but it's still a chance. I was surprised when I googled him and found out he's only 26.

As the cliche says, never say never, but probably don't bet the barn on it either.

That being said I could easily see him going back to France for many many dollars.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I think by the time he's done in AFL it'll be too late en_force_er. Would have liked to see him continue on from his dabble in France, he'd be a contender by now. I think he has a couple of AFL seasons to run & from recent reports has lost a lot of bulk for that game, a lot more than Folau has, I reckon that'd make him a very long shot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think by the time he's done in AFL it'll be too late en_force_er. Would have liked to see him continue on from his dabble in France, he'd be a contender by now. I think he has a couple of AFL seasons to run & from recent reports has lost a lot of bulk for that game, a lot more than Folau has, I reckon that'd make him a very long shot.

You may be right but if hypothetically he signs to Rugby Union after the Footy season at 27, I can't see his body being the issue. Performance and rugby understanding maybe but not his body.

This is a 27 year old who is ethnically Samoan/Cook Islander, these people are generally genetically predisposed to being big. Even at his slimmest KHunt is still 92kg. With 4-6 months you think you couldn't get him to 98kg to 100kg with good diet and the right exercise?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
KHunt was solid for Biarritz, even playing at 10 on occasion. He played well on some big stages including the Top 14 Final and various Heineken Cup games.

Scored a good try in the Heineken Cup final- how many Aussies have ever done that?

The bloke is very talented, and my respect for him has only risen since he left league. The Folau debacle shows how hard making the transition to AFL can be, but Hunt has handled it with aplomb.

I think he would be a great signing for our code.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You may be right but if hypothetically he signs to Rugby Union after the Footy season at 27, I can't see his body being the issue. Performance and rugby understanding maybe but not his body.

This is a 27 year old who is ethnically Samoan/Cook Islander, these people are generally genetically predisposed to being big. Even at his slimmest KHunt is still 92kg. With 4-6 months you think you couldn't get him to 98kg to 100kg with good diet and the right exercise?

I'd love to see him give it a shot & you're probably right, I'm just going off a gut feeling, no science or expertise in my comments.

I think his understanding of Rugby wouldn't be a huge issue, he played schoolboy rugby at a good school (Churchie) & had a good in between season in France from all reports. He was tough as nails in league at all levels and has a lot of football nouse.
I reckon it'd be awesome to see him test himself and succeed at the top level of 3 of the 4 football codes in Australia.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd love to see him give it a shot & you're probably right, I'm just going off a gut feeling, no science or expertise in my comments.

I think his understanding of Rugby wouldn't be a huge issue, he played schoolboy rugby at a good school (Churchie) & had a good in between season in France from all reports. He was tough as nails in league at all levels and has a lot of football nouse.
I reckon it'd be awesome to see him test himself and succeed at the top level of 3 of the 4 football codes in Australia.

I think his understanding of rugby wouldn't be an issue off the field, but at an on the field instinctual level it might matter.

Whenever I play park Aussie Rules with my mates they laugh at how I instinctually responde in certain situations, likewise when I've seen somebody from an Aussie Rules background they rarely instantly take to rugby.

I'm not saying it will be an issue in KHunt's case because he's proven himself before, but it certainly could be. It was when Izzy tried to play Aussie Rules, many wrote it off as Izzy being "too dumb" or some other BS but really sport is a very instinctual thing.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont see Hunt leaving AFL, I realise they are not allowed to trash the code they play in and have to say they love it, but he genuinely seems to love AFL and seems to like the challenge to become better. If he returns to League or comes to Rugby he would be expected to be better than average and would be in the spotlight. After 2 seasons in AFL he is losing some of the spotlight he had and now seems to be able to hold his own as a solid player.

He is already set up for life and now can play sport for a living and be out of the spotlight as an average player. he has it made as far as I can see, his biggest challenge is to improve his play for himself and he can do this over time.

T

TOCC

I actually know Karmichael on a personal level, i've lost regular contact in recent years but he is a pretty loyal type of guy, he absolutely loved the Broncos and was incredibly loyal to them, but like a few players felt that the club lost its way during the period when Wayne Bennet left, ironically the Bronco's big money signing of Israel Folau played a part..

From reports he seems pretty committed to the AFL career and i think he just re-signed for a few more years, so i cant see him having much of a role in rugby union within Australia in the future.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
the Tahs can still deploy Folau to schools deep in the Western Suburbs for visits without having to associate him with a Western Suburbs club.

Finally, I'd like to say "NO, I don't think Folau playing for Uni is good" but I really don't like conspiracy theorists and people who are anti-establishment just because. Even the Parra GM has said that Izzy's management cited he was playing for Uni because he had mates there, not because people at the Tahs pointed him that direction.

What I've highlighted above is exactly the point and one I think you're all missing. It doesn't make one skerric of difference if Folau actually plays club rugby or not. In all likelihood, I think it's a fair bet to say he won't play club at all. But really, what the hell is the point of aligning him with Uni or Stallion Rugby Club then sending out to western suburbs schools? I think what the Parra GM was trying to say is that it's his profile they need to grow the game out there. If the junior clubs get 10 new registrations because Folau is aligned to Parra then it's a win. one thing's for sure, there won't be one kid from the west signing up coz his answer to that kid when asked 'what club do you play for?' is Uni or Stallion Rugby. Take a chance I say, put him as the face of a recruitment drive out there and actually do something to create a presence. My sister is a teacher at an anglican school out west, she constantly tells me the kids have NO IDEA rugby clubs are close by.

As for his mates at Uni..............what a croc of shit! That is just a cop out in my opinion. It's clear to me he's being told what clubs to go to.

Signing with Uni would be a fucking disgrace, instead of being a marquee signing he might not even make the run on side at full strength.That the other club in the running, is aligned with the coach is disappointing,especially when the same club has signed props from Penrith and he/they are then placed in the extend Tah's squad.The perception must be that he is not playing favourites, unfortunately that is not currently the case.

Spot on!

I have been thinking that the strength and conditioning programs of these clubs might be important, given his loss of bulk.

It is a disgrace. Maybe someone in marketing at NSWRU will ask themselves why the AFL paid him $1.5 million to play out in the west.

Torn Hammy, no question about the quality of the uni S+C program. But the Randwick one must be awful. Randwick were in the bottom 3 Sydney clubs after the ARU review of the coaching and S+C. This is fact.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Torn Hammy, no question about the quality of the uni S+C program. But the Randwick one must be awful. Randwick were in the bottom 3 Sydney clubs after the ARU review of the coaching and S+C. This is fact.

Is there a source on that?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)

I was assuming things are different since Stallions arrived. Who were the bottom two S&C clubs?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
The clubs were Randwick , Gordon , Penrith who were given the lowest band. Randwick did have an excellent S&C programme under Craig Morrison but this was stopped when John Maxwell took charge.
If folau goes to Uni or Randwick I think it is because he is moving to be closer to getting to training. He is basically at Moore Park everyday for Waratahs training etc so for him it's easier to live closer.
He could still be with Penrith or Parramatta as he would only need to go to a club training every now and then
I think he is being pressured to join Uni or Randwick and I was going to give the Tahs a chance and go to there home games but they have lost me if Folou goes to Uni or Randwick.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think he is being pressured to join Uni or Randwick and I was going to give the Tahs a chance and go to there home games but they have lost me if Folou goes to Uni or Randwick.

Send the Waratahs an email, telling them this. If they are serious about improving their popularity, they really need to know what the fans think.

I would guess that amongst true rugby people, those of us who genuinely love the game and want it to thrive, there would be close to consensus that a player like Folau should be encouraged - nay, pressured - to align himself with either Parramatta or Penrith.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will say that from an outsiders point of view:

1. If the ARU have kicked in as much cash as reported and;
  2. He is unlikely to either play or train much with whichever club he goes to
It simply should be a western burbs club. The ARU should be demanding some publicity value in western Sydney for the money they have kicked in.

If it is for a true rugby reason; they think he will gain extra rugby nous at Uni/Wicks or the S&C program is that much more advanced then I can accept he should go to the best club to facilitate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.