• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought he went well last night. There are certainly more pressing problems for the Tahs than his occasional lapse.

It's getting to the stage where he is the frontrunner for a starting position, either at fullback or on the wing. The try he scored was magic.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's been pretty good the past couple of weeks, and has started to put himself into contention for the Lions squad........

He could be battling it out with Tomane for a bench spot.........

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Slim I honestly think he is beyond 'contention' for the squad, and is probably the frontrunner for the second wing spot (with Digby on the other wing).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Possibly, but I think that's only because Deans is likely to put JOC (James O'Connor) at flyhalf instead of on the wing where he should be.........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Problem is, there are several good options in these positions, so good players will miss out. Wing - Ioane, Tomane, Folau, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell (pre-hammie); FB - Mogg, Folau, Beale (big maybe), JOC (James O'Connor). Unfortunately for JOC (James O'Connor), I see him being forever a great utility who never makes one position his own. Bench for me.
Imagine if we had Speight in the mix too. Good problems to have.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Really happy for Folau. I think he's like SBW where people like to hate because he folloewed big dollars and he's enjoying what he does - whether in league, AFL or union. I hope he stays but if he doesn't, that's no reason not to take full advantage of everything he brings to the table now

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You'd think that Ioane would still have one wing spot nailed down. That leaves a lot of guys lining up for two spots. I also think Deans will hesitiate to name rookies. Lions series and job on the line will ensure he won't be taking too many chances. Folau and Mogg especially look the goods but I can't see two debutantes starting in the back three. As good as Folau is going I'd lean towards Moggs boot if I was selecting a starter. I'd probably pick Folau if I was looking at the bench spot.

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
Izzy will get a bench spot during the Tests at some stage. He may start if there is a few injuries like Cooper Turnstiles did on the wing last year during the Welsh Tests. Scrapping the bottom of the barrell there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You'd think that Ioane would still have one wing spot nailed down. That leaves a lot of guys lining up for two spots. I also think Deans will hesitiate to name rookies. Lions series and job on the line will ensure he won't be taking too many chances. Folau and Mogg especially look the goods but I can't see two debutantes starting in the back three. As good as Folau is going I'd lean towards Moggs boot if I was selecting a starter. I'd probably pick Folau if I was looking at the bench spot.

So if, as expected Deans picks JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, and Folau gets the other wing, who is fullback?

Or if Mogg gets fullback, who is the other wing.

It is hard to not see two debutants if JOC (James O'Connor) is at 10, unless Mitchell starts. And please no Barnes. That would be sheer lunacy.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Barnes played very well at 15 last season but he's be well down my list. Partly because he's been injured but also because we've seen a real sea change in the outside backs this season. Experience is important, but form and talent have pushed others forward. In addition, I want to see us play to win these Tests rather than not to lose.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Barnes played very well at 15 last season but he's be well down my list. Partly because he's been injured but also because we've seen a real sea change in the outside backs this season. Experience is important, but form and talent have pushed others forward. In addition, I want to see us play to win these Tests rather than not to lose.

Please, please, please. It is our only chance to win this series. If we do not throw absolutely everything at them in attack we are fucked.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Problem is, there are several good options in these positions, so good players will miss out. Wing - Ioane, Tomane, Folau, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell (pre-hammie); FB - Mogg, Folau, Beale (big maybe), JOC (James O'Connor). Unfortunately for JOC (James O'Connor), I see him being forever a great utility who never makes one position his own. Bench for me.
Imagine if we had Speight in the mix too. Good problems to have.
Not forgetting the Honey Badger if fit.

T

TOCC

Not forgetting the Honey Badger if fit.

Which he hasn't been.... He is going to struggle to make the squad, he obviously has potential but doesn't have the runs on the board for Deans to overlook his lack of playing time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

At the moment he wouldn't make the Tahs starting side

Richo

John Thornett (49)
At the moment he wouldn't make the Tahs starting side

Nope. I'm fine with that. He's going to be gone at the end of the year, so it's not like building combinations with him is worth it. The rest of the backs will be around, with the possible exception of Folau.

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nope. I'm fine with that. He's going to be gone at the end of the year, so it's not like building combinations with him is worth it. The rest of the backs will be around, with the possible exception of Folau.

Let's hope so. We still need to re-sign Foley and Horne which are surely crucial at this stage. I'd argue that Horne is playing better rugby now at 12 than he ever played when he was 13 and earned Wallaby selection. Kingston and Betham are also very important to hang onto. I'd be quite happy heading into next year with Kingston, Crawford and Betham as our top three wingers. In terms of value for money they're surely excellent.

I really hope we can keep Folau. He's close to our best player.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Isn't it great that a thread on one individuals prospects in Rugby ends up as a Wallabies 2013 Watch or Waratahs 2014 thread?

If someone can make a claim that Folou will displace Ioane or Shipperley from the Wobs then we should be able to get some good cross border state parochialist sniping going as well. Nearly did a page or so back regarding IF playing mungo SOO for QLD.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Let's hope so. We still need to re-sign Foley and Horne which are surely crucial at this stage. I'd argue that Horne is playing better rugby now at 12 than he ever played when he was 13 and earned Wallaby selection. Kingston and Betham are also very important to hang onto. I'd be quite happy heading into next year with Kingston, Crawford and Betham as our top three wingers. In terms of value for money they're surely excellent.

Crawford will drop into 15 if Folau leaves

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Agree with all of this except I think that Betham makes far too many mistakes at this level.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
If someone can make a claim that Folou will displace Ioane or Shipperley from the Wobs then we should be able to get some good cross border state parochialist sniping going as well. Nearly did a page or so back regarding IF playing mungo SOO for QLD.

Can't we leave this state vs state bullshit to mungos?

Status
Not open for further replies.