• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trans Tasman 2022

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep and you know we will never agree, I know it is great idea, NZ do all the work to produce the players through training academies etc, and then farm them out, but you and I both know when that happens the franchises won't spend money on developing players to send elsewhere.
Regardless hopefully the NRC in a new format they talk of gets going , as I believe this is Aussie's answer. Geoff Parkes column in ROAR today sums up probably the problem.
Sean Wainui, after the game was asked what rest of season had in store? Well he hoped to make Maori All Blacks, and apart from that was looking forward to rejoining BOP in the NPC!
Basically going on with a high standard of rugby. And to the Super played from Aus???
I would actually add that trying to get Aus players in NPC teams would be a help, as has been done in past.
But I do say I hope that everyone get's together and works out a decent format, that will have to include neither NZ or Aus telling the other how to run their test teams etc.
Anyway we all want the same outcome, just how we get to it is the perplexing question!

If it was upto Geoff Parkes, Australian rugby would be a subsidiary to the NZRU.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The key stat in this discussion in "480,000". The number of people who tuned in to watch the SRAu final.

Does RA (and the broadcaster) want to walk away from that?

Yeah TT can beat it, Super Rugby AU was actually a product the fans engaged with, be a mistake to kill it now. Make the TT a championship style league with short tournament featuring Aus, NZ and Japan teams. Domestic tournaments to remain the primary product in all those countries otherwise.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah TT can beat it, Super Rugby AU was actually a product the fans engaged with, be a mistake to kill it now. Make the TT a championship style league with short tournament featuring Aus, NZ and Japan teams. Domestic tournaments to remain the primary product in all those countries otherwise.

Big thumbs up, here.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

If we actually face up to it I think we have no choice as we can’t be in a competition with 5 oz sides with 5 kiwi sides that does not allow for the free flow of players to address the depth issues. As even with massive oz investment and these depth imbalances are not going to be addressed. Yep get the nrc up, grow our domestic and do a champions league. As like many would rather be in a pro competition with nz but only way can ever happen is with free flow of players, more kiwi sides or less oz sides (I personally don’t think latter would actually solve anything as cutting the force showed). None of which going to happen so just accept it and move on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is simple long term we need to improve and grow but we ain’t going to do that in short term with 5 oz teams against 5 kiwi teams. And in a crowded domestic footy market which is our biggest focus for US we can’t have less then 5 teams, and can’t have 5 oz teams put up against 5 kiwi teams without more free flow of players.

Hence you really need to stop pushing for full TT without resolving this impasse as otherwise flogging a dead horse if we continue with TT without resolving this as we won’t improve and grow if thrashed by kiwi teams as won’t be and fans and less people wanting to play rugby. The last incarnation of super rugby nearly killed off oz rugby and TT looks like going down similar large unless we resolve this or accept if can’t to do our own thing.

My view is RA (with broadcaster support) puts a line in the sand and push for open borders policy for TT with quotas with proviso that RA demonstrates large scale reform and investment (with pe investment). If nzru does not accept this which is their right we let nzru do it is own thing and we follow our own path and look at alternatives with nz and Japan etc such as champions league. We have been pretending for too long that we can get work around the elephant in the room.

So let's say NZR agree to do it, RA has got bugger all money and supposedly dropping salary cap, so it what world are ABs going to want to come and sign up for Qld (part of RA) etc for less money? Really mate? You can even see that working?
We will never agree that as a way for NZ players being the answer to getting Aus teams better,and I really doubt that Aus rugby do either. If they did there are only about 50 or so players in NZ with a chance of making ABs, so they would be waving all the big coin at the others.
Interesting point , I read in Rugby News on players going to NH. Most reckon money only part of it and repetitive games against same teams is also one reason given by a lot of SH players and/or managers. I can just see a 5 team comp with a supposedly reduced salary cap being a great boost for NH clubs!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
If we actually face up to it I think we have no choice as we can’t be in a competition with 5 oz sides with 5 kiwi sides that does not allow for the free flow of players to address the depth issues. As even with massive oz investment and these depth imbalances are not going to be addressed. Yep get the nrc up, grow our domestic and do a champions league. As like many would rather be in a pro competition with nz but only way can ever happen is with free flow of players, more kiwi sides or less oz sides (I personally don’t think latter would actually solve anything as cutting the force showed). None of which going to happen so just accept it and move on.

Its not bloody rocket science, you cannot address the depth issue with a declining supporter/fan and playing base, everyone talks about doing things smarter, so what the f---k have we been doing for the last 20 years, we've had access to the best provincial teams, coaches and rugby smarts arguably in the world. Yet here we are the RA are pretty much skint, with rugby barely holding on in this country.

Any talking up of Super rugby AO, mention of viewing/crowd figures is met with it doesn't mean anything until you play the kiwis. Yet a half decent crowd or result in the recent TT is happily used to justify the whole kit & caboodle of TT.

There is clearly zero money for either the Drua or Pacifika, yet by the end of June the RA will probably be signed up for a full TT next year, as they say bet on self interest, at least you know its trying.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So let's say NZR agree to do it, RA has got bugger all money and supposedly dropping salary cap, so it what world are ABs going to want to come and sign up for Qld (part of RA) etc for less money? Really mate? You can even see that working?
We will never agree that as a way for NZ players being the answer to getting Aus teams better,and I really doubt that Aus rugby do either. If they did there are only about 50 or so players in NZ with a chance of making ABs, so they would be waving all the big coin at the others.
Interesting point , I read in Rugby News on players going to NH. Most reckon money only part of it and repetitive games against same teams is also one reason given by a lot of SH players and/or managers. I can just see a 5 team comp with a supposedly reduced salary cap being a great boost for NH clubs!

Dan I am defeated on this TT as I just can’t see any answers that anyone would find palatable. Maybe a miracle will happen and something will be worked out. Anyhow that is for RA and NzRu to work out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Oh well if NZ don’t see it working then they can go with the 5 team option.. But then, according to you they risk losing players..
NZ can’t have the cake and eat it too, if they want Australian participation to remove the monotony of the 5 kiwi teams then they need to ensure it’s not a repeat of 2021. If not, then Australian Rugby goes it’s own way

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh well if NZ don’t see it working then they can go with the 5 team option.. But then, according to you they risk losing players..
NZ can’t have the cake and eat it too, if they want Australian participation to remove the monotony of the 5 kiwi teams then they need to ensure it’s not a repeat of 2021. If not, then Australian Rugby goes it’s own way

Ok well I guess we will know in a week or so anyway. We going in circles and I reckon NZR and RA will know more than us. I will be surprised if RA or NZR say go and get stuffed and I sure they already have comp almost worked out. I not sure why you say NZ can't have cake and eat it to. What do you mean?
Don't know why you think only NZ risk losing players with 5 team option.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the point of this thread? Seriously. Did you lot get bored running in circles in your quarantined containment thread playground or something?

Think it's time for papa Pillock to break out the digital jandal and nonsense this thread to death until it's dead/locked.

EDIT: Hmm. Seems I shouldn't have ducked out to the shops before sending my shitpost.

This thread quickly became identical to the 1,000 page infinite loop that is The Thread Which Cannot Be Named.

Drop the Fat Gif Man on the bastards until some mod locks it and exorcises them back to whence they came.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
digital jandal
Jandal-Digital-Logo-300.png

giphy.gif

RichieMo

Frank Row (1)
I think this year's TT was cobbled together very quickly, under difficult circumstances, and therefore was extremely flawed. The lack of a break between the domestic finals and when this comp started, the uneven number of home games and the lack of intra-conference matches were all problematic. I am extremely hopeful that should Rugby Australia and NZ Rugby decide to work together again in 2022, that next year's competition will be much more well planned and enjoyable for fans on both side of the Tasman to watch. In saying that I really enjoyed this year's comp. Watching NZ teams playing against other NZ teams is boring, I enjoyed watching the Australian teams play.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think this year's TT was cobbled together very quickly, under difficult circumstances, and therefore was extremely flawed. The lack of a break between the domestic finals and when this comp started, the uneven number of home games and the lack of intra-conference matches were all problematic. I am extremely hopeful that should Rugby Australia and NZ Rugby decide to work together again in 2022, that next year's competition will be much more well planned and enjoyable for fans on both side of the Tasman to watch. In saying that I really enjoyed this year's comp. Watching NZ teams playing against other NZ teams is boring, I enjoyed watching the Australian teams play.

Well at least one person enjoyed it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Back to oz teams for next year and improving their competitiveness.

So we have RA encouraging teams to consider imports. All good but the only team even active on recruitment is the Force with brumbies signings, Fiji winger signing (import) and Going after nrl player Blake Ferguson. Where is all the recruitment news for other oz sides to bolster their depth!

Anyhow I think the force looking at overseas players like maetele and nrl players like Ferguson (nrl players rather then debating whether Ferguson right player to target) is sort of strategy all oz sides should consider to improve quality of player stocks. But at this point the bigger concern is only the Force are active in the recruitment market to bolster / improve their squad.