• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - All Blacks v Springboks @ Townsville 25/09

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In summary: "It's the ref's fault because Oom Rassie and Oom Keo say so!"

Actually that's a bit unfair - when it comes to the ABs, Bok fans don't seem to mind close losses.

Against anyone else its a conspiracy by everyone in World Rugby to bring them down.

Something about the ABs being the only other "real" rugby nation?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thought I might share this. Just as the AB's scored their first try, this beast buzzed my side of the river and scraped my roof. Something of a highlight to the experience of a Kiwi try.

Unfortunately, we then had this with 5mins to go and I missed the live experience of a Kiwi #100 win live as Mrs dru insisted I bow out for something "more interesting". We don't at all get the lower fireworks from my place but definitely see the river shape during the fire works. At least up on the roof I was able to check out the skid marks from the C-17.

Thank f@#% Abs v Boks was up first!

To think that I had been disappointed that Growlers weren't coming!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The ABs played pretty poorly by their standards and still scraped a win.

I think they will be disappointed with their physicality and inaccuracy at the breakdown as well as just general handling errors. It's been a looooong time since I've seen an All Black team lose the battle at the breakdown two weeks in a row so hopefully they will rectify that this week.

I think they need to go a little bit wider from the ruck. Either make the forwards to go that little bit further to fold around the next breakdown or force the backs to get in there.

Akira seemed to go missing this game and I really don't think his brother is a centre. I like TJ Perenara but his passing seemed to stall some of the attack.

I thought that the Boks would be up for a massive game and they played as most people thought they would. But I think the ABs have a lot more room for improvement this week while the Boks were almost at their best. Playing within this game plan anyways.

ABs comfortably this week.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
In summary: "It's the ref's fault because Oom Rassie and Oom Keo say so!"
Nope.

We have been found out. We put a plan in place that was perfect for winning a World Cup that is always an exercise in attrition. If you look at the rugby we played for the 18 months leading up to RWC under Rassie it was a LOT more varied.

Then with the Lions we figured Gatland's ego would be his nemesis. We were right. He wanted to get into an arm wrestle and bless him, could not help himself and paid dearly.

Meanwhile, the AB and Wob coaches had a lot of time to dissect and come up with strategies to counter our tactics. They know that if you get us off our game we have NO plan B. Just a fresh bench to reset plan A. We cannot play catch-up rugby. And if our defense is just a little bit off, Wobs and AB's will find a way through and you guys did.

Why did we almost win on Saturday? Because IF this plan is executed really well, it is almost impossible to break down. Almost worked.

BUT.

At 78 minutes, the replacement scrumhalf kicks the ball away. All you need to do is hold on to the thing. Our players are so conditioned into a plan they are barely not even expected to think on their feet.

We will need to reinvent plan A somewhat and go back 2 to 3 years. We are never going to veer off the path too much but we have to regain an element of surprise and improve the basic attacking skills because our guys look lost on the attack. Had it coached out of them.

We have a bumpy road ahead.

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nope.

We have been found out. We put a plan in place that was perfect for winning a World Cup that is always an exercise in attrition. If you look at the rugby we played for the 18 months leading up to RWC under Rassie it was a LOT more varied.

Then with the Lions we figured Gatland's ego would be his nemesis. We were right. He wanted to get into an arm wrestle and bless him, could not help himself and paid dearly.

Meanwhile, the AB and Wob coaches had a lot of time to dissect and come up with strategies to counter our tactics. They know that if you get us off our game we have NO plan B. Just a fresh bench to reset plan A. We cannot play catch-up rugby. And if our defense is just a little bit off, Wobs and AB's will find a way through and you guys did.

Why did we almost win on Saturday? Because IF this plan is executed really well, it is almost impossible to break down. Almost worked.

BUT.

At 78 minutes, the replacement scrumhalf kicks the ball away. All you need to do is hold on to the thing. Our players are so conditioned into a plan they are barely not even expected to think on their feet.

We will need to reinvent plan A somewhat and go back 2 to 3 years. We are never going to veer off the path too much but we have to regain an element of surprise and improve the basic attacking skills because our guys look lost on the attack. Had it coached out of them.

I don't think that old plan is too far away. Just needs a change of mindset.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Nope.

BUT.

For me, the reason the Boks almost won was because the All Blacks were a bit off their game. Yes - some of that has to be attributed to the Boks but the All Blacks uncharacteristically left a few opportunities on the field with poor handling, option taking etc. A couple of players didn't make the impact they should have - but again, you have to give credit to the Boks for that as well. The challenge is there for those guys to take up.

The ABs need to work out how to break down the rush defence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
For me, the reason the Boks almost won was because the All Blacks were a bit off their game. Yes - some of that has to be attributed to the Boks but the All Blacks uncharacteristically left a few opportunities on the field with poor handling, option taking etc. A couple of players didn't make the impact they should have - but again, you have to give credit to the Boks for that as well. The challenge is there for those guys to take up.

The ABs need to work out how to break down the rush defence.
I think we put them off their game. Everything was rushed. And at every breakdown they were hit hard. They did not get the opporutntiy to create the space they like. That is exactly what the game plan is designed to achive. Keep rushing you and hassling you. This is partly my point. When we do this well it is almost impossbile to break down. Problem is that it needs to be executed almost perfectly, all the time and this is not possible. We were late to ONE breakdown and you got the penalty and won (deservedly).

You guys very rarely "go off your game" and I do not buy that for 100th test you somehow weren't 100% on the job.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was quite amused watching Rugby Heaven, Morgan Turunui said how ABs fluked the win, what was funny when the Wallabies won with a penalty after the 80 minutes and being outscored 3 tries to 1 it was a great win a couple of weeks back??
I know playing to crowd ( and Wallabies win was great) but I not sure what changed in the meantime :p :p :p :D

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think we put them off their game. Everything was rushed. And at every breakdown they were hit hard. They did not get the opporutntiy to create the space they like. That is exactly what the game plan is designed to achive. Keep rushing you and hassling you. This is partly my point. When we do this well it is almost impossbile to break down. Problem is that it needs to be executed almost perfectly, all the time and this is not possible. We were late to ONE breakdown and you got the penalty and won (deservedly).

You guys very rarely "go off your game" and I do not buy that for 100th test you somehow weren't 100% on the job.
This is not about the ABs not being '100% on the job' but simply that they didn't play as well as they have the ability to. As I said, I think the Boks played their part in the ABs being less accurate as they usually are. But even then, they never really looked dangerous on attack and the ABs didn't make the most of a couple of opportunities.

I don't know that the Boks have much room to get better given they played their game plan pretty much to a tee. They were good at the breakdown and, as you say, closed down space quickly.

I think the ABs have a quite a bit of room for improvement. They can be better at the contact area and improve some of the ball handling and errors.

If we talk about being able to execute their game plan and strategy, where do you see the Boks being better than they were last week?

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I was quite amused watching Rugby Heaven, Morgan Turunui said how ABs fluked the win, what was funny when the Wallabies won with a penalty after the 80 minutes and being outscored 3 tries to 1 it was a great win a couple of weeks back??
I know playing to crowd ( and Wallabies win was great) but I not sure what changed in the meantime :p :p :p :D
I think he has a valid point. Maybe not fluked, but SA were the dominant team for most of that match (as horrible as that is - with their negative style I was strongly barracking for NZ and I rarely do that).

I think Aus was the dominant team in that first SA game, despite the difference in tries scored.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think he has a valid point. Maybe not fluked, but SA were the dominant team for most of that match (as horrible as that is - with their negative style I was strongly barracking for NZ and I rarely do that).

I think Aus was the dominant team in that first SA game, despite the difference in tries scored.
yep mate I don't have a problem with it, just shows how we all see games a bit differently is all I meant.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is not about the ABs not being '100% on the job' but simply that they didn't play as well as they have the ability to. As I said, I think the Boks played their part in the ABs being less accurate as they usually are. But even then, they never really looked dangerous on attack and the ABs didn't make the most of a couple of opportunities.

I don't know that the Boks have much room to get better given they played their game plan pretty much to a tee. They were good at the breakdown and, as you say, closed down space quickly.

I think the ABs have a quite a bit of room for improvement. They can be better at the contact area and improve some of the ball handling and errors.

If we talk about being able to execute their game plan and strategy, where do you see the Boks being better than they were last week?
I will be very interested to see how ABs handle the game this week. A lot of the things are in their own hands, tidying up the handling , ruck area they can control, even how they play the kicking game. I do worry about the ref being brave enough to stop the time wasting, my only whinge I had last week,
I have no roblems at all with the Boks kicking the ball consistently, and it's up to ABs to try and speed game up with quicker taken lineouts etc, but also up to ref to allow them if a Bok is down doing up laces or seemingly with a niggle. I have the greatest respect for Boks (our greatest foes in rugby), but find the time wasting is absolutely no different to diving ala soccer!