• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - All Blacks v Springboks @ Townsville 25/09

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well I will say I am f***en wrapped with that result. One of my older brothers who is a real rugby man, has been on a number of supporter's tours , to all parts of the worls including SA, passed away at 11am this morning, I sat here and just said do it for Brian, and the bloody beuaties did!
So I am very content!!
Sorry to hear mate, ABs did him proud.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
Surely you just roll up the middle when you have the lead and there are a couple of minutes to go? They were making gainline easily at that point.
it was weird ... they were making great metres and getting across the gain line with ball in hand, more than a few times dominating contact. it felt they lacked the confidence to back themselves up the middle.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well I will say I am f***en wrapped with that result. One of my older brothers who is a real rugby man, has been on a number of supporter's tours , to all parts of the worls including SA, passed away at 11am this morning, I sat here and just said do it for Brian, and the bloody beuaties did!
So I am very content!!
Sorry to hear Dan.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
So I am very content!!
condolences mate

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So I am very content!!
Dan the man. We bore it up you at times but you know we’re with you all the way. So sorry to hear this, your A team did it for you and the fam tonight, the B team will too. Stay strong bro.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nepo Laulala, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody: FAIL.

Akira Ioane: hopelessly inaccurate today

Brodie Retallick: kind of a fuckign mess.

Ofa Tuungafasi: impressive how he rogered up EVERY SINGLE FUCKIGN THIGN HE WENT NEAR during his almost 3 minutes on the park

Will Jordan: the golden child buggered up plenty

Rieko Ioane: a senior AB now yet he kind of vanished

David Havili: shoddy as shit

George Bridge: YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING SHITTING ME HERE

TJ Perenara; ffs flapanara, just hasnt got the aplomb. its all red heads and shit passes.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Out of jail

Jordie has bought himself a 20-test nagging reprieve from me.

What a fucking shambles the AB's were though. FFS IF YOU DONT CATCH THE HIGH BALL THE BOKS WILL KEEP KICKING IT. THEY'LL PROBABLY KEEP KICKING IT ANYWAY.

GREAT game from Mapimpi, challenging every high kick and turning to face his own team giving his side every chance to retain possession.

Great match for the following AB's:

Dane Coles
Sam Whitelock
Blackadder: great in the lineouts
Jacobsen
AfterDavid
Mounga
ALB
Goodhue
JORDIE
Can you give us 10 words on George Bridge? Interested in your thoughts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So I am very content!!
Sorry to hear that, Dan. Condolences.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan the man. We bore it up you at times but you know we’re with you all the way. So sorry to hear this, your A team did it for you and the fam tonight, the B team will too. Stay strong bro.
Cheers ta KOB, as I said it all good. Brother liked to joke he was past his use by date as doc gave him 6 months about 2 and a half years back. Actually one of the hightlights since then was his son taking him to a AB/Bok test in Wellington just 2 years back, so he will be petty happy. I even had a DB beer while watching as that was his tipple!
And he was one of the ones who taught me to be such a pain the arse about rugby. ;) :)

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a shower of shit that was! Saffers didn’t deserve to win playing tedious rugby like that, (neither did the fumbling ABs), and their rest breaks are fucking annoying.
The ref was ok but thought the knock down should have been a penalty try.

Bridge looked determined to play himself out of a black jersey. TJ a liability now, BB pedestrian, and Akira frustratingly anonymous.

Wallabies have bragging rights from convincing win last week.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlights

Not going to feature in Classic Matches anytime soon but that was every bit a proper old-school AB v bokke Test Match & if one moment summed it up it was the look on Quinn Tupaea's face after winning that last-gasp penalty. If he never does anything of note on a football field ever again, he'll be remembered for that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Only got to watch the game this morning.

I really enjoyed it. I get the criticism of the Boks style but there is something really compelling about watch two teams just slug it out. It wasn’t pretty, but they were certainly up for the physical contest.

Edit: and my deepest condolences Dan.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On rewatching, bokke were guilty of kicking away overlap ball incl a 6-on-3 & of kicking too deep or to the wrong side of the field when there were large undefended areas they could've kicked into. Seemed more interested in setting up mid-air contests/ collisions than gaining territory & it seldom really worked for them.

AB I thought were guilty of putting too many bodies under the ball which just made the catcher's job harder than it needed to be (that said, Bridge's non-catch that lead to the try was a Hewson-level shocker). Most of the AB fumbles were a direct result of bokke line speed & aggression aka pressure. A lesser side would've buckled under that pressure, it's testament to how good this AB side is that they didn't & some of the credit for that has to go to Foster, Plumtree & the rest of the off-field team.

Next week I want to see RMo on the bench in place of DMac, take one of the Barretts off at say 60, Rieko at 11 & if AL-B still isn't fit put Tupaea there. Assuming Jacobson is well & Papali'i isn't I'd leave the forwards as originally selected but I have a feeling it'll be the same starting pack as last night. Big work-on during the week has to be lineout which was sub-standard for this level of opposition.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
AB I thought were guilty of putting too many bodies under the ball which just made the catcher's job harder than it needed to be
Boks did a great job of flooding the area to creat confusion. Conversely, NZ's kick chase was lazy as shit.

Yeah I could be well wrong about Tupaea

Ardie is not a captains arsehole. Should've been in the refs ear "Sir, these fake injury breaks are taking way too long and are poor sportsmanship"

Wonder how saffers feel about their side.

- Players comporting themselves like soccer divas and faking injuries every 5 minutes to stop the game so their unfit players can catch a breath.
- Terrified to back themselves to play rugby and instead launching up and unders while on attack at the opponents 22.

And where's all the anti-rugby chicanery got them?

Lost 3 straight.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ABs' game plan for the last few years has simply been to tackle until a counterattack opportunity presents itself. At that time, opposing teams don't have the personnel in line to defend, and a few slick passes later they're in (pricks).

The issue against the Boks: kicking the ball doesn't present the same opportunities. First you have to catch it under pressure, then you need to attack the space. And there isn't any on a planned kick-chase; ABs have a man in the air contesting against 1 Bok player, then 3-5 around for screening or support. Boks can throw in a couple of blokes to protect the ball if they get it back, then kick it again!

On attack, the ABs just spaced out wide and let the Boks number up. No subtlety, no short kicks, no changes of angle in their attack, or that drop-back pass we see from midfield to a sweeping playmaker to cause confusion and open up the line.

As a result, their support play at ruck time was rubbish because the Boks had Kwagga Smith and threw in enough numbers to slow it down if he wasn't winning it.

Throw in a few combination changes from the AB coaching staff vs a fairly settled Bok lineup, trying conditions unsuited for long phase play, and a Bok team that wanted rest breaks every 5 minutes, and you're going to get a mess.

Additionally: TJ Peranara isn't an international quality scrum half. He's just been allowed to hide his flaws in winning AB teams and become a complete smart arse about it. That pass at Havili's head... fuck a duck...