• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - All Blacks v Springboks @ Townsville 25/09

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Gotta say this stadium and the turn out are both impressive. Off topic, don’t know what the PI population is up there, but the Drua could do worse than this for a home base.

Reactions: dru

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Over and over again, the ABs show 2 major weaknesses, which are both related.

1) Is the forward armwrestle - when the game is about brutal physicality, about making metres in heavy traffic, in stopping bulldozers, in clearing big bodies off rucks, the teams that are big, powerful, and urgent that pull the ABs into an arm wrestle get very good gains. As a rugby nation, we have always been about speed, skill, and fitness - hopefully at some point we will accept that you need a balance, you need some meatheads in there.

2) is the rush defense - which since the first 1st B&I test we have never found an answer for. The problem is that many people believe you beat the rush with kicks or width. Empirically, width almost never works. It only sounds good in theory. But the rush defense fans in which makes the wide ball incredibly risky. Kicks do work, but you can't kick away everything.
It actually still comes back to making metres in heavy contact, both as a runner off 9 (and not 10) and midfielders being able to drag the advantage line further upfield. As we all know, that 1 metre makes the difference in alignment, which is everything at this level.

Jordie Barrett excellent. Blackadder worked hard.
A lot of the forwards have been inaccurate, including Brodie and Moody, their experienced duo. Laulala and Ioane are mentally not ready for such contests. Good test for Ardie as captain. Scott Barrett - I don't know why, is not a confident option at lineout.
I feel for George Bridge. He's been shocking. But my quibble with him is not the dropped balls - it's that as a winger he doesn't have X-factor. He's not particularly quick, he's not powerful, and he's not a great stepper. he's a guy who does the basics very well (usually) but it's not what the ABs need I don't think.

This is a big test for Beauden. I always thought this was his biggest question mark. Sure he is ridiculously skillful. But can he control a chess match, where sometimes your forwards are outmuscled? It doesn't need to be run run run every time. It's a big test especially because Perenara isn't a Smith - he doesn't quite offer the tactical kicking and marshalling and organisation.

Finally - I think the Boks will run out of gas in the second half. It's been a brutal season for them. Many of them started with their European clubs this time last year and played a lot of games in a physically demanding season. They then had to go through all the hassle getting back, had a huge battle with the Lions, and then travelling over here. Some of their blokes like Handre, DUnae, and Lood were out for long periods with injury. And they are missing Kolbe.

Last edited:

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Ab's are playing about as bad as they can. Literally the only thing that could let this garbage SA team win is mistakes and we're making a tonne of unforced errors.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
starting to think Cheslin Kolbe is the main reason the Sprinboks won the RWC and B&I Lions

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Ab's are playing about as bad as they can. Literally the only thing that could let this garbage SA team win is mistakes and we're making a tonne of unforced errors.
The root cause of a lot of these errors is not the execution, but the option. For example dropped balls in heavy traffic - yes the players need to be more accurate but we're trying to play the same game even though the defense is up so close.