• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Boks @ Suncorp 18/09

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My summarised thoughts from twitter:

Wallabies discipline still needs work and our high ball defense was ordinary.
Boks didn't fire a shot - think they got sucked into trying to play a bit wide, and then went back to their maul which was providing them zero go-forward after initial penalty wins there.
The balance of personnel is about right for the Wallabies BUT Koroibete is a target for high kicks, and while Hodge grew into the game, he looks like he's lacking confidence. Some good counterattack from us which is good to see - heads-up play lacking the last few years
Where to for the Boks?
They're not fit enough.
They're not creative enough.
Their cohesion shows exactly what they are: a team picked from across the world with limited time together executing a limited game plan that is fairly easily blunted.
ABs by 30 next week.
The regular cynical injury breaks from the Boks is a blight on the game. If you're not fit enough, get fitter. For supposed professionals it is just the biggest load of rubbish, and Hooper should be calling it out.
The plus for Wallabies fans: We went behind two weeks in a row and found ways to win. Now we need to show upward trajectory against Argentina to prove it isn't a blip. Historically we've ended up in a messy scrap with them, and we need to rise above.
I still worry about Argentina and not forgotten we got the wooden spoon for last years RC. I don’t think we can get too ahead of ourselves. Hence prefer to not to see too many changes.

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I still worry about Argentina and not forgotten we got the wooden spoon for last years RC. I don’t think we can get too ahead of ourselves. Hence prefer to not to see too many changes.
Yeah I wouldn't me making too many unforced changes but if he had reservations about some 50/50 selections, the next 3 games would be a good time to test the alternatives.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The problem I see for Wilson is that the Argies have a very good lineout, which means we're likely to see the same backrow contingent.........

He might have to wait for the second test, or even the game against Japan to get another look in.
Is swinton really any better then Wilson in the lineout? Same height, same weight.
Genuine question.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Possession and territory seem to favour the less clinical side. We won those stats against NZ.

Sure. As we improve we will want to see better from it, I think. So handing over possession is one thing, but you are looking for a trade off. Which is either a quick return of possession, or territory. Losing out in both is not ideal and I would hope our kicking game should be targeting territory as a given.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd say definitely........

Both Wilson and Valetini seem capable in the lineout, but Swinton and Samu are very good jumpers at the front.

Like Tragic I'm unconvinced. Swinton brings mongrel. Subject to improvement in tackling, I like it. But I'm not convinced there is a marked improvement in the line out. Or any. Samu is bringing wonderful impact of the bench, crazy meters in little time. Swinton has that aggression.

There is little opportunity at the moment for Wilson but it is not because of the line out.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Like Tragic I'm unconvinced. Swinton brings mongrel. Subject to improvement in tackling, I like it. But I'm not convinced there is a marked improvement in the line out. Or any. Samu is bringing wonderful impact of the bench, crazy meters in little time. Swinton has that aggression.

There is little opportunity at the moment for Wilson but it is not because of the line out.
It’s not just the lineout and additional aggression- Swinton can dominate contact in tight and gets over the advantage line.
Wilson’s skill set suits playing wider (height in contact/ running lines) and while he looks adequate playing tight in Super he’s been dominated at Test level.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
AE9CCA36-2027-486D-AB3E-5F6181378173.jpeg
F0D2FCE9-CF1D-485E-A774-70B68DC818AE.jpeg

Gotta love the hands in the air absolution from a clear obstruction that meant swinton had to make the tackle in the first place. Freeze frame at the point of contact in the tackle looks pretty benign as well. Unlucky all round.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
View attachment 12647View attachment 12648
Gotta love the hands in the air absolution from a clear obstruction that meant swinton had to make the tackle in the first place. Freeze frame at the point of contact in the tackle looks pretty benign as well. Unlucky all round.
That shit was reffing incompetence in the extreme. A real contrast to the calm clarity of last week (albeit slow). They nearly panicked themselves into a red for a regulation tackle.

And then a no-arms shoulder driven into the head of a prone player is a yellow?

Probably come across as petulant but WR (World Rugby) have a real issue with the quality of reffing at the moment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That shit was reffing incompetence in the extreme. A real contrast to the calm clarity of last week (albeit slow). They nearly panicked themselves into a red for a regulation tackle.

And then a no-arms shoulder driven into the head of a prone player is a yellow?

Probably come across as petulant but WR (World Rugby) have a real issue with the quality of reffing at the moment.
To be fair I thought the shoulder to head looked close to red, until I remembered that Swinton got one for the same, but almost worth as he had 2 attempts early in year, and that was overturned by judiciary so that set standard I think. The reason that Swinton decision got overturned was seems because he was considered as low as can be expected, so guess that is standard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought the TMO was trying to find ways to make it a red? I probably misheard who was saying what
Yep I tought that too, but at end I thought it was TMO to check it again, and so got taken back to YC. I just saw it right now on tv, and was a YC as it no arms tackle and even if there obstruction foul play overules it. (that I remember)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Handré Pollard must hate Monday Morning Reviews. Missed an easy tackle on Ikitau for Ikitau's first, then tripped over attempting to tackle Banks that allowed Koroibete to set up Ikitau's 2nd. edit: Also missed he was the one that got clean bumped by Tupou in the run up for Ikitau's 2nd.

Stats wise with Aus only having 40% possession:

Aus made 9 clean breaks to SA's 1.
Beat 19 defenders to their 6.
7 offloads to SA's 2.

Remember, we were defending for 20% longer than the Boks, yet only missed 6 tackles out of 101 (94%) to their 50/69 (72%).

In the two games combined Aus made 15 clean breaks to South Africa's 1 clean break across 160 minutes of rugby.

Last edited:

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Was it really a shoulder charge? That photo is the exact moment of contact frame by frame. Before the heads collide. The left arm is clearly wrapped. Looks worse from the other angle as you can’t see the wrapping arm.
I reckon rugby’s gone bonkers if that’s a card.