• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeh, it was just one of the Fox Sports ones. To be fair it was only the Muirhead comment they were way off about, maybe I misinterpreted it. I think most predicted team lists had McMahon featuring somewhere and not Leota, that surprised everyone.

Excited to see what the team can do. Hopefully Townsville come out in support, they’ve had some great footy games played up there as a result of COVID and seem to be embracing it all.
Up there, they come from anywhere in North Queensland - Cairns, Port Douglas, Hughenden, Emerald - you name it.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Can't remember a time when there was so much competition among the Aussie forwards and the reserves are just as good as the starters. Even guys not making the 23 offer a lot.

Great to a) have so many quality players b) have so much internal competition.

If they can maintain this level and upgrade at a few key positions the team should be in fantastic shape.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeh, it was just one of the Fox Sports ones. To be fair it was only the Muirhead comment they were way off about, maybe I misinterpreted it. I think most predicted team lists had McMahon featuring somewhere and not Leota, that surprised everyone.

Excited to see what the team can do. Hopefully Townsville come out in support, they’ve had some great footy games played up there as a result of COVID and seem to be embracing it all.
Full house expected according to the ABC news.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Can't remember a time when there was so much competition among the Aussie forwards and the reserves are just as good as the starters. Even guys not making the 23 offer a lot.

If they can maintain this level and upgrade at a few key positions the team should be in fantastic shape.
Very refreshing to see depth below our starting 15, there's options 2, 3 and 4 who could step up. Should put us in good steed for the RWC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

A couple of wins certainly goes a long way to inflate the confidence

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Up there, they come from anywhere in North Queensland - Cairns, Port Douglas, Hughenden, Emerald - you name it.

That's why it was important the game was held on Saturday, despite it clashing with the AFL.
Max attendance so fans can travel to the game up there which they do for the big events, that cant happen on a Friday or Sunday. Thats what the QLD Govt has paid for, a game which stimulates the local tourism economy

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Someone told me last weekend was $200 for a family pass to Suncorp. If you're getting 2 Test matches for that - and one of them is ABs v Boks - you're kidding yourself if you don't take up the opportunity.

Yeh the price point has been pretty bang on for the offering, if even a bit light. $50 I believe for good seats to both games is a steal. I remember paying way way over that for a Wallabies test a few years ago at Suncorp. Obviously circumstances were different.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well leota's selection is surprising but honestly im still giving Rennie the benefit of the doubt at this stage of his tenure, particularly after selecting cooper 2 weeks ago, which i thought was lunacy. I do hope, and expect, we will get a good look at mcmahon next week. I assume rennie wants to secure this win and then maybe rest a few forwards (maybe even hooper) next week.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why would McMahon be a more likely selection than Cooper? We are loaded with back row talent and McMahon is a little small to fill a starting position at 6 or 8. If Hooper needs a break then you have McReight waiting in the wings. Although I must admit I wouldn’t mind seeing what McMahon could do. Its more likely off the bench though.
On the other hand we were really struggling at 10 and Cooper has always had a great all around game skill wise. It was a good bet that he had matured and got the mental side in order.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why would McMahon be a more likely selection than Cooper? We are loaded with back row talent and McMahon is a little small to fill a starting position at 6 or 8. If Hooper needs a break then you have McReight waiting in the wings. Although I must admit I wouldn’t mind seeing what McMahon could do. Its more likely off the bench though.
On the other hand we were really struggling at 10 and Cooper has always had a great all around game skill wise. It was a good bet that he had matured and got the mental side in order.
Rennie made a comment that leota been with us full time on commenting about his selection. In other words I took It that not going to suddenly throw a player in ahead of others who just arrived ie don’t want to give ideas that overseas players will just walk into test side ahead of those playing at home. Latter makes sense as otherwise lot of wallabies playing at home would get Irate about this and not feel rewarded for playing super rugby.

There is a fine line Rennie is going to have to tread selecting overseas players and bias should still be to those playing super rugby. I think Rennie doing ok on this as did not rush Cooper in and likewise not doing same with McMahon. Latter no doubt will get a game at some stage but Rennie not rushing it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In hindsight I agree Joe - but I have to admit when Rennie picked Cooper, even given the complete lack of depth we had at 10, I thought it was a very bold move.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cooper is eligible without restriction as he has reached the threshold of tests played for Australia. McMahon and Kerevi are not.
My point was that we are pretty flush with back row options but with JOC (James O'Connor) injured 10 was a bit of a problem. So naturally Rennie would look OS for someone to cover there.
I agree that Coopers selection was a bit left field but he always had those silky skills. It was an inspired move on Rennies part. I dont really understand the motivation for pursuing McMahon. Hope to be proven wrong.