• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big questions this week are:

Who will play fullback? Will Reece Hodge slot straight in or will we see JOC (James O'Connor) or someone else picked in the 15 jersey?

Will Sean McMahon play and if so, will he start or come off the bench?

It would be surprising not to see a couple of fresh faces given a crack but that being said, Rennie has finally had a couple of good results and will be looking to keep the momentum going. I highly doubt we'll see any changes that could be construed as "resting".

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Same team but Hodge at FB for Banks through injury. JOC (James O'Connor) to bench.
Wilson for Swinton at 6 - the latter needs to sit down and think about what he's done.

Win this one, see how the Boks v ABs pulls up, then see what we need to do back down south. I'd like a year in which we win more than we lose, and we're all square at the moment. The EOYT is no cakewalk - Scotland, Wales, and the Poms will be no pushovers, and Japan have improved.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Let's continue with our momentum and pick the strongest squad - after another win (and more credit in the bank) we can look at some 'experimental' selections in the final game.

So we retain the starting pack and reserves (including the same backrow) and reluctantly/ finally give Hodge an opportunity to start with the proviso that a 'better than average' performance is required for him to ever get a look in the 23 again.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would like to see McMahon in the frame for selection, but maybe next week. Other than that, few changes and pick a full strength side to beat the Argies this week.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Wouldn't be surprised if Rennie was playing the media like he did with Quade. More likely to see McMahon next week - he only got out of quarantine a week ago and plenty of back rowers deserving of a crack at 6 or 8

I don't think quaratine has bothered McMahon too much, Rennie quoted as saying he's the fittest in the squad.

I reckon he gets picked this week.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
This is like all our collective amnesiac justification that “Kerevi was never THAT good, he had so many deficiencies, in reality Wallabies are better off without him”. Nah he‘s still an absolute gun, I’d wager same goes for McMahon.
Your statement bares true definitely for the Wallabies.

But as a Reds fan, I feel like our game evolved for the better once the team stopped trying to play Kerevi ball off every second phase, and the results over the last few years have been great.

In saying that, I'd take this version 2.0 of Kerevi back in a heartbeat, he seems to have a few more strings to his bow whilst still being a great runner.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is like all our collective amnesiac justification that “Kerevi was never THAT good, he had so many deficiencies, in reality Wallabies are better off without him”. Nah he‘s still an absolute gun, I’d wager same goes for McMahon.

The only issues I had with Samu were that he didn't pass enough and that his defence was suspect at 13 (positionally speaking, not tackling).

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree it would be great to see McMahon but I am also liking what Pete Samu is bringing off the bench as well so would be a shame for him to be dropped. Would prefer to see Swinton dropped, Samu starting with McMahon on the bench.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
McMahon is a shoe-in to play, for 2 reasons:
1) Rennie invited him back; so he's had to go 2 weeks in hotel quarantine. McMahon wouldn't be doing that to sit on a bench
2) If he didn't play, Rennie's reputation amongst other expat wallabies (think Arnold, Shelton). would be shot to shit.
Also, he's simply one of the best.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gotta feel a bit for Fraser McReight. Why is he not in contention?

Because Hooper plays 80 minutes and we have plenty of good backrow options that are better at 6 or 8.

McMahon is a shoe-in to play, for 2 reasons:
1) Rennie invited him back; so he's had to go 2 weeks in hotel quarantine. McMahon wouldn't be doing that to sit on a bench
2) If he didn't play, Rennie's reputation amongst other expat wallabies (think Arnold, Shelton). would be shot to shit.
Also, he's simply one of the best.

I agree. If McMahon isn't going on the end of year tour then Rennie only has the next two weeks to give him a crack. I predict he'll play both games with at least one starting.

Now that he's got him here, it's hard to see Rennie not having a proper look at a player who might be an obvious selection in his best XV.