• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For me Mcmahon was always better off the bench. A few times I remember him starting, his lack of mass was a bit more telling in the tight stuff when the big boys of top tier were fresh. But when brought on later, holy crap did he make an impact.

Well the year he started consistently the people on this site voted him equal best Wallaby for the year so he was doing something right.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Think Argies should make our breakdown messier, SA got zero pilfers. Don’t think we should change much. Same forward pack but McMahon straight swap to 6. Petaia promoted to 15, JOC (James O'Connor) to take his bench position.
My concern with that is whether McMahon covers the lineout work as well as Swinton. Samu gets used there a bit for the Brumbies, but I can't recall McMahon being a lineout jumper much? Can anyone recall if he was? A straight swap might not be as simple as some think.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
True Pfitzy but I reckon McMahon is the same. In my book Sean should come on to the bench, if at all in this match, and Pete should get the reward of the starting spot.
I think Samu better off the bench but because been so good in recent games if Swinton given a rest would not be a good look to put McMahon ahead of Samu given not proved anything recently at wallaby level vs Samu who has in recent games.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah Samu is a lineout operator and has had good impact in recent games.

Rennie has been talking about rewarding form so if, and it's a big if i reckon, Swinton gets dropped it ought be for Samu.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Playing your bloody best team. That includes McMahon starting. Forget the other shit. We want to WIN regardless of who did what and when.
Not sure "forgetting the shit (like the lineout)"against Argentina is a great idea. They're not mugs.
I have no problem with McMahon, whom I rate as a player, was actually asking a valid question as to his lineout work.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He is a reasonable operator. Not quite as good as Pete Samu - who is actually very good IMO as a third jumper because he is very quick off the ground - but McMahon is pretty good.

My recollection of McMahon was that initially he was a bit so-so, but then put in 4-5 tests in conjunction with Hooper where he was very good at 8.

Personally I have no issue if he’s picked but no issue if he’s left our either. In terms of the role he’d play I actually think he’d be most similiar to Valetini. Not quite as physical, but higher work rate. But the fact that Swinton has been coming off and with his discipline issues in both the last two games it would seem more likely he is under the gun if anyone is.

If you ended up with a backrow of McMahon, Samu & Hooper on at the end you’d certainly welcome expect to lift the tempo.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Not sure "forgetting the shit (like the lineout)"against Argentina is a great idea. They're not mugs.
I have no problem with McMahon, whom I rate as a player, was actually asking a valid question as to his lineout work.
Not talking the line out, that’s always a concern. I was referring to the fact he left Aus rugby to play in Japan. Sorry for the confusion.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reported where exactly? I've also heard reports that ABC was carrying news that JOC (James O'Connor) would be in 15.

Wasn't Hodge starting at 15 also a rumour before the last test?

why would you trust the ABC? They barely even cover rugby.

Ch 9 news Qld reported it, Michael Atkinson who is currently in Townsville to be exact. He is a reliable source

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually think the Wallabies have a pretty good loose forward set. Swinton plays the tight/loose game bloody well, I personally think Valetini has looked bloody good last couple of tests, and Hooper is Hooper, who as I make no secret of the fact I think is bloody good and have thought so for a while! With Samu on bench it just looks well balanced.
Yeh and in reality if McMahon was not in the picture we would be very happy with our backrow. I can’t help but feel we have people putting McMahon on a pedestal way above where he last was with his last time with the wallabies. But then again it really is how much he has improved since then- as Cooper showed and demonstrated. Sounds like McMahon has had same growth mindset Cooper had in recent years. And hence keen to see what he can offer..which should be from the bench and ideally at least with 30 to 40’minutes in second half to see where he is at and whether hype justified.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What happens with McMahon after these two tests? Does he come to Europe with the squad or is he back in Japan? Is this about convincing him to return to Oz or would he be one of the two OS players selected for future Wallaby squads? Our back row stocks seem to be very healthy right now and our 6/8 combo a big part of our recent improvement.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What happens with McMahon after these two tests? Does he come to Europe with the squad or is he back in Japan? Is this about convincing him to return to Oz or would he be one of the two OS players selected for future Wallaby squads? Our back row stocks seem to be very healthy right now and our 6/8 combo a big part of our recent improvement.

That's the thing I find odd - we are pretty strong in the back row, albeit the perfect combo around Hoops isn't quite there. I wish McMahon all the best, but I am surprised at him being a Rennie target. So far, tbf, Rennie's targets have been spot on. Whatever the general rugby public think.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's the thing I find odd - we are pretty strong in the back row, albeit the perfect combo around Hoops isn't quite there. I wish McMahon all the best, but I am surprised at him being a Rennie target. So far, tbf, Rennie's targets have been spot on. Whatever the general rugby public think.
I think the style of what he wants is kind of there with Swinton / Hooper and Valetini. Obviously there could be improvements individually - Swinton less reckless; Valetini switched on more of the time (although has been pretty bloody good lately) etc. But with Hooper's work-rate / tackling / breakdown work, Valetini's work in wider channels especially, and his good minutes played, and Swinton with aggression and lineout work there is a basis for a pretty good balance.
Now maybe others can fill some of those roles as well, and maybe even better, but I reckon Rennie might be getting closer to what he wants. It'll be interesting to see what we get in the next 2 weeks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the style of what he wants is kind of there
Yes. ish. The intent of the combination is there. But I'm not convinced that we won't find better personnel over time to push the matter further.

I reckon Rennie might be getting closer to what he wants. It'll be interesting to see what we get in the next 2 weeks.

I can only agree with this. And we are learning, well from my perspective anyway, that Rennie has a plan and we aught run with it.