• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 6 - Wallabies vs All Blacks - Saturday 27 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The scrum went well against SA because Smit was playing tighthead. The AB scrum went bad because Whitelock and Williams were the locks as well as Afoa and Woodcock who were just coming back from injuries.

Smit was only playing TH for a few scrums in the second half, which we thoroughly reamed the Boks. For the first 50 the Bok front row was Jannie DP/Smit/Beast. That is a good international front row, and we had parity. It is clear from our first couple of tests that all of our locks are adequate scrummagers.

R

RuckinGoodStats

If Cooper gets his first kick, then he is good, if he misses it, he is bad. Lets hope he gets it.
Thought I would look at Super15 to see if this was true. So by week
v Force got 1st kick (pen) 4 from 7
v Tahs got 1st kick (pen) 2 from 2
v Brumbies got 1st kick (pen) 8 from 10
v BYE
v Rebels MISSED 1st kick (con) 7 from 8 Note Mike Harris took and got 1 con
v Cheetahs MISSED 1st kick (pen) 4 from 8 Note Mike Harris took and got 6th con
v Lions MISSED 1st kick (pen) 0 from 2. Mike Harris took and got 3 pens and 3 cons
v Stormers got 1st kick 5 from 6
v Bulls got 1st kick 3 from 6
v Tahs MISSED 1st kick (pen) 4 from 5
v Hurricanes MISSED 1st kick (con) 4 from 7
v Rebels got 1st kick (pen) 5 from 7
v Blues got 1st kick 7 from 7
v BYE
v Crusaders MISSED 1st kick (pen) 3 from 6
v Brumbies got 1st kick (pen) 3 from 5
v Force got 1st kick (con) 4 from 6
v Chiefs got 1st kick (con) 5 from 6
v Blues (semi) MISSED 1st kick (pen) 3 from 7
v Crusaders (final) got 1st kick 3 from 5

Bit of a mixed bag to be sure QC (Quade Cooper) need to land the 1st one up, your thoughts?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Thought I would look at Super15 to see if this was true. So by week
v Force got 1st kick (pen) 4 from 7
v Tahs got 1st kick (pen) 2 from 2
v Brumbies got 1st kick (pen) 8 from 10
v BYE
v Rebels MISSED 1st kick (con) 7 from 8 Note Mike Harris took and got 1 con
v Cheetahs MISSED 1st kick (pen) 4 from 8 Note Mike Harris took and got 6th con
v Lions MISSED 1st kick (pen) 0 from 2. Mike Harris took and got 3 pens and 3 cons
v Stormers got 1st kick 5 from 6
v Bulls got 1st kick 3 from 6
v Tahs MISSED 1st kick (pen) 4 from 5
v Hurricanes MISSED 1st kick (con) 4 from 7
v Rebels got 1st kick (pen) 5 from 7
v Blues got 1st kick 7 from 7
v BYE
v Crusaders MISSED 1st kick (pen) 3 from 6
v Brumbies got 1st kick (pen) 3 from 5
v Force got 1st kick (con) 4 from 6
v Chiefs got 1st kick (con) 5 from 6
v Blues (semi) MISSED 1st kick (pen) 3 from 7
v Crusaders (final) got 1st kick 3 from 5

Bit of a mixed bag to be sure QC (Quade Cooper) need to land the 1st one up, your thoughts?

Without doing a full statistical analysis, I don't think that the proposition that if he hits/misses the first kick he's going to have a good/bad day is proven beyond reasonable doubt. Refer the Stormers, Bulls, Tahs, Hurricanes sequence.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Without doing a full statistical analysis, I don't think that the proposition that if he hits/misses the first kick he's going to have a good/bad day is proven beyond reasonable doubt. Refer the Stormers, Bulls, Tahs, Hurricanes sequence.
I think I pull out his first kick using POS and see if it was a tough one or not. We would need to determine what a tough one was Probability of success (POS) of 40-54% ?

R

RuckinGoodStats

Why not? Btw, thanks for all your good work and contributions here RGS.
It's kinda easy to do, but just need to have someone provide me with the POS that determines what a tough one is. Suggestions, anyone please? Just happy to help.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just popped into training, Started with KB (Kurtley Beale) and Cooper fronting the press to deny anything form France. Boys being boys type denials, so something happened, but hardly seems anything worth getting worked up over.

They were doing some full contact drills, it was pretty willing. Sanchez had to go get stitches. He returned with headgear on, but left the field again shortly after, seemed precautionary. Here is a Vid of DK getting a try in one of the smaller runs.

[video=youtube;SQ0Y2DtN5Z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0Y2DtN5Z0[/video]

They then broke into what looked like the test team and the rest, running in the test team looked like:

1. Kepu
2. Squeak
3. Alexander
4. Kev
5. Simo
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Burgo (Sanchez was off, assuming he will start)
10. Cooper
11. Digby
12. A Finger
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. McCabe
15. KB (Kurtley Beale)

12, 13 and 14 might have been in slightly different configuration, but couldn't tell with the view I had.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Samo? I still think Higginbotham deserves another shot, but Radike is a good replacement if this is the case.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I like the idea of Samo getting out there early and smashing blokes at the breakdown.

We need to "win the collisions" early in this match to be a chance of winning it. We got owned at Eden Park and can't afford a repeat of that start.

Come the World Cup, I'm looking forward to tag teams of Palu & Samo at 8, and Higgers and Rocky at 6 just getting out there and bashing blokes.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
From that video it looks like Kepu is the one to miss the last tackle on Samo - but whoever it is watch how he plants his feet when Cooper has the ball (at about 10 seconds) and then when Samo steps him - it is very, very poor technique.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The terror has Vickerman & Samo starting, Payten is usually pretty acurate

Dan Vickerman recall is World Cup trial

Iain Payten
August 23, 2011 12:00AM

NO-NONSENSE hard man Dan Vickerman will be playing for a frontline World Cup role when he is unveiled today as the Wallabies' fresh pack pillar for the Tri Nations finale.

Lock Vickerman, 32, and high-impact No.8 Radike Samo, 35, shape as two calculated inclusions to meet All Black muscle front-on at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

The elevation of Vickerman is significant because it shows the rush-slowly plan of coach Robbie Deans to get his 57-Test wildcard ready for the World Cup.

This would be Vickerman's first start in a Test for three years after two recent cameos off the bench, club hitouts and a flogging at squad camps to rebuild his hardness after his study stint in England.

At training at Ballymore yesterday, the 2.04m Vickerman was all business-like intent with the main pod of players and new skipper James Horwill.

Fellow locks Rob Simmons and Nathan Sharpe broke off into a group that observers regarded as the reserves and members of the Australian Barbarians side to meet Canada at the Gold Coast's Skilled Park on Friday night. Sharpe is skippering that side.

Swinging Vickerman into the starting side makes sense. It means Deans will have four top locks ready to roll when the World Cup kicks off in New Zealand next month because the worst result would be not knowing if Vickerman was ready yet.

The injection of Samo at No.8 would be another rotation exercise for Deans, who knows that Wycliff Palu will be underdone for duty at the World Cup after a long injury lay-off. It would be no poor reflection on the physical and productive impact of Scott Higginbotham, who acquitted himself well at No.8 in the win over South Africa.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The terror has Vickerman & Samo starting, Payten is usually pretty acurate.
It would be no poor reflection on the physical and productive impact of Scott Higginbotham, who acquitted himself well at No.8 in the win over South Africa.

Not sure that these two sentences can co-exist with each other. Higgers contribution as a starter was pretty invisible, as the stats clearly show.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i like the idea of fainga starting at 12 instead of 13>> its all about combinations now
would be very happy to see samo and vickermman start as they provide the impact from the start
top 22 is looking very strong with a couple of the injuries back>>> jus gotta hold those combinations or a few yrs

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Everyone was/is a bit harsh on Higgers for the Bok game, I thought he was OK, offered a buttload more then McCalman ever did.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Higgers was OK but i don't know how people can justify that he 'deserves another shot at starting'....why? .. He's not the incumbent no.8. He was being tried there and I think everyone would agree the Samo impressed off the bench, while Higgers didn't make the impact he had in previous games where ehe was coming on late in the game.

I'd prefer to see Samo starting, with Higger coming on at the 50 minute mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.