• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 6 - Wallabies vs All Blacks - Saturday 27 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Well you only have to look at Fainga'a and McCalman's weights to know they are not up to Test standard in their position. It's also why I think they could both play a 7 role during the WC.

Olo Brown, the great test prop in the history of the entire fucking universe was 105 kgs. Ben Alexander is as soft and silky as my winter doonah. What are you smoking ?

You just need 30 seconds of video footage to know Saia isn't up to it. His set piece is horrific.

McCalman is an up and comer - how are you bagging him at 21/22 for not being a 98kg Hoiles or 102 kg John 'Fumbleathon' Roe ?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So you want our forwards to work as a team. I agree.

Of course if they don't, it won't just be 'mobility' that is affected.

Well, you can't really disagree with that, can you? ;)

Hunting as a pack is a better phrase to describe it. I think it's an integral part of "World Cup rugby", and also something that I think the 09 Wallabies forwards were doing well.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks like the biggest pack I've seen us put on the park in a while. Stats according to the ARU website (and Tahs as Vickerman wasn't listed...).
Kgs Cm
Ben A 117 189
Squaky 112 186
Kepu 125 188
Vickerman120 203
Big Kev 115 200
Rocky 106 197
Radike 117 197
Bam Bam 101 181
913kgs

Higgers 110 195
Saia 100 187
McCalman106 192
Ma'afu 126 184
Simmons 115 200

I don't believe bam bam is only 101kg. He is a bloody impressive unit

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't believe bam bam is only 101kg. He is a bloody impressive unit

I can believe it.

He would probably have the lowest skinfolds of the forward pack though. And he's also a fair bit shorter than Elsom for only 5kgs difference.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Is it just me or is this the flattest build up for a bledisloe in Australia for a while. Everyone's focusing on either World Cup squads, the biffo in France or James OConnor.

It's shitting me off that's for sure, this is a massive game. Not only for the Tri-nations trophy but for psychological edge at the WC. I feel the Wallabies are the only side the AB's have a bit of fear for, and if we can get up Saturday, that will put more fear in their minds.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It's shitting me off that's for sure, this is a massive game. Not only for the Tri-nations trophy but for psychological edge at the WC. I feel the Wallabies are the only side the AB's have a bit of fear for, and if we can get up Saturday, that will put more fear in their minds.

Hey, it's only a great chance to win the Tri-Nations for the first time in ten years. Nothing important. :rolleyes:

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Remember the excitement and build up to the first Beldisoe match this year? Do you remember how that played out?
I'm quiet happy for the quiet nature of the lead up to the match this weekend.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is it just me or is this the flattest build up for a bledisloe in Australia for a while. Everyone's focusing on either World Cup squads, the biffo in France or James OConnor.

One of the reasons it's 'the flattest': when the Wallabies have won no BC or 3N for donkeys' years, and after multiple hype barrages this year before the first Samoan Test and then the Wallabies flunk that 'easy' Test big time and then make an absolute pathetic mess of the first Bledisloe game (again after much media pre-hype), punters lose motivation and interest and the media senses it. And why wouldn't they lose interest? - the inviolable golden rule of elite Australian sport is that our countrymen and women like big, consistent winners, and the more the better. They don't like pretenders that promise lots and never seem to get there.

If a team just routinely fails the big hurdles - and Australians see beating NZ in rugby as the hurdle they care most about with 'being no 2 in the IRB rankings' of zero interest to the mass fans - general community and media interest will die away or decline, slowly, but it will inevitably result.

This is one of the reasons I have long argued that the declared obsession with the RWC is only fine if there's a major pathway of silverware accretion and good wins vs ABs along the way that encourages broad community engagement and belief as the Australian national sports ego gets flattered by the Wallabies' demonstrated excellence and victories. If Tests in the intervening 3 years are essentially declared 'learning experiences for RWC preparation' the mass fans are essentially being kidded along and they'll sense just that.

A

antipodean

Looks like the biggest pack I've seen us put on the park in a while. Stats according to the ARU website (and Tahs as Vickerman wasn't listed...).
Kgs Cm
Ben A 117 189
Squaky 112 186
Kepu 125 188
Vickerman120 203
Big Kev 115 200
Rocky 106 197
Radike 117 197
Bam Bam 101 181
913kgs

Higgers 110 195
Saia 100 187
McCalman106 192
Ma'afu 126 184
Simmons 115 200
Obviously Robbie doesn't want his men to lose the collision again.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One of the reasons it's 'the flattest': when the Wallabies have won no BC or 3N for donkeys' years, and after multiple hype barrages this year before the first Samoan Test and then the Wallabies flunk that 'easy' Test big time and then make an absolute pathetic mess of the first Bledisloe game (again after much media pre-hype), punters lose motivation and interest and the media senses it. And why wouldn't they lose interest? - the inviolable golden rule of elite Australian sport is that our countrymen and women like big, consistent winners, and the more the better. They don't like pretenders that promise lots and never seem to get there.

If a team just routinely fails the big hurdles - and Australians see beating NZ in rugby as the hurdle they care most about with 'being no 2 in the IRB rankings' of zero interest to the mass fans - general community and media interest will die away or decline, slowly, but it will inevitably result.

This is one of the reasons I have long argued that the declared obsession with the RWC is only fine if there's a major pathway of silverware accretion and good wins vs ABs along the way that encourages broad community engagement and belief as the Australian national sports ego gets flattered by the Wallabies' demonstrated excellence and victories. If Tests in the intervening 3 years are essentially declared 'learning experiences for RWC preparation' the mass fans are essentially being kidded along and they'll sense just that.

Surely it has gotten to the stage where you just have a form rant, with a few spots saying 'insert issue here'.

That is largely rubbish. Interest in this game is still high, but as Chriscullen pointed out there are other big rugby stories around this week. Saturday sort of gets lost in the wash. Plus controversy sells more papers than standard build-up puff pieces about a new player etc. It is a bit like Rugby League- no-one can doubt the interest in the on-field activities, but the biggest stories this week have been Benji's court case and the Stewart/Hasler vs Gallop saga.

It is easy to forget this game is a sellout in Brisbane. Interest is high. The RWC is around the corner.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is easy to forget this game is a sellout in Brisbane. Interest is high. The RWC is around the corner.

I, for one, am gagging for it.

Baa Baas on Friday night. 3N decider on Saturday night. Maybe squeeze in a Shute Shield game on Saturday arvo.

With the RWC two weeks away, it really is a rugby tragic's dream.

That's not even considering my beloved Tigers have won six straight in the NRL and will hopefully go deep into the finals.

As Roy and HG used to say, too much sport is barely enough.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I, for one, am gagging for it.

Baa Baas on Friday night. 3N decider on Saturday night. Maybe squeeze in a Shute Shield game on Saturday arvo.

With the RWC two weeks away, it really is a rugby tragic's dream.

That's not even considering my beloved Tigers have won six straight in the NRL and will hopefully go deep into the finals.

As Roy and HG used to say, too much sport is barely enough.

Add to that the Aussie Schools team V England Sunday Afternoon braveheart and you have just spelled out my rugby filled weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.