• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rnd 1: Highlanders v Reds

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Big difference when 1 halfback is easy top 3 in the world whilst the other is barely top 3 in Brisbane.

Why its taking the reds so long in these games to realise they need to go forward before they go wide is beyond me.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure who’s idea it was to continuously try the up and under from deep in the reds territory. Fortunately, Gilbert not overly effective on counter attack, Nareki looked dangerous each and every time he returned one.. The Crusaders will put the Reds to the sword if they try that again next week.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
God I fucken hate overuse of the up-and-under. It's the preserve of the back with no options (see Barnes, B). The penalty for use to get a team out of gaol when they're two tries behind should be cutting the oranges next week.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A silver lining has to be Hegarty at 10. I thought he took on the line well and looked decent on attack
Bold floating that out there after this:
If Hegarty ever plays for the Reds again, i'll drive 10 hours up there to shoot him myself.

What in the fuck ever earned him a QLD jersey? How many high balls from INSIDE YOUR OWN FUCKING 22 do you need to kick before you realise they're not effective (mostly because they keep landing less than 10m away from where you kicked them) and are losing you the game?

Fuck me dead, i'd start Hellen Keller before giving Hegarty another shot. That bullshit forward pass call with 15mins to go was.bullshit, even the kiwi commentators said as much, but they were still in it until Hegarty decided to kick yet anther high ball from inside his 22 and give a kiwi team (renowned for their counter attacking skill) possession 30m from their tryline.

Ben Blair will sleep well tonight, knowing that the trophy for 'I singlehandedly lost this game' has been taken from him.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The tactical kicking wasn’t great but he looked good with ball in hand. It wasn’t the worst tactical kicking ive seen. Perhaps the previous poster had a high blood alcohol content and was feeling particularly disappointed

What tactic was being employed?

The kicking appeared to either be aimless or designed to give the ball to the opponent in an attacking position.

I have never seem worse kicking for such a sustained period during a game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think the Reds have kicked well all year, but have got away with it as perhaps Aus teams don't look to counter the same. And half the time were trying to bounce ball in tuch for those f***en 50-22s or whatever.
But you see why playing different teams show up where you need to tighten up when stepping up for Wallabies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
He wasn't your worst, but the fact that neither he nor Stewart brings a running game was a major deficiency in the Reds game.

Stewart with a shocker. He really needs Paisami or Petaia to play off.

NO! Paisami (12)and Petaia (13) need to fill the centres positions.
Not hard to guess who the wingers should be.
Put Campbell back to full back.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Worst aspect was we squandered possession ALL GAME. Somehow Hegarty must have been thinking ok it didn't work the first 1,000 times maybe this next time it will be different.

Highlanders ran some very nice offensive pods and were damaging in the offload. Up quickly in the line. Bruising in D.

We were very ordinary with ball in hand (when we didn't kick it away) & refused to try something different. One dimensional might be too generous here.

Thomas to go back to club land me thinks Sorovi was miles better.

Sad to say the ref had far too much influence on the game. It seems that law 14(5)d doesn't exist anymore.

We definitely didn't deserve to win but there were a few key moments where we lost the game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely a lot of blame must lie at Thorn’s feet. If hegarty’s kicks weren’t a coach’s order he would’ve been hooked by the 3rd kick.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Surely a lot of blame must lie at Thorn’s feet. If hegarty’s kicks weren’t a coach’s order he would’ve been hooked by the 3rd kick.

Absolutely yes. But I would've like Liam to step in and say "this is isn't working, let's go to plan B" (But I must admit it didn't look like we had a plan B).

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Worst aspect was we squandered possession ALL GAME. Somehow Hegarty must have been thinking ok it didn't work the first 1,000 times maybe this next time it will be different.

One of the biggest problem that I see with Australian Rugby is that if the 1001st kick led to a try then his other attempts would be forgotten as many only remember tries, not deficiencies in skill levels.