• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rnd 1: Highlanders v Reds

Frenchy

Bob McCowan (2)
In retrospect, JOC (James O'Connor) should probably have been rested with McDermott. This game wasn't really one to win anyway, only 6 days after a really tough contest that took everything from the squad, physically and mentally.

JOC (James O'Connor) felt depleted physically at the end of the 1st half, slow to get up from runs, hand on hip, etc. Not his usual self. I hope it was just some fatigue and he's still injury free.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
In retrospect, JOC (James O'Connor) should probably have been rested with McDermott. This game wasn't really one to win anyway, only 6 days after a really tough contest that took everything from the squad, physically and mentally.

JOC (James O'Connor) felt depleted physically at the end of the 1st half, slow to get up from runs, hand on hip, etc. Not his usual self. I hope it was just some fatigue and he's still injury free.
He was slow to get up because he nearly knocked himself out attempting a tackle in the latter part of the first half. He failed his HIA at halftime maybe?

If anything, thought the Reds looked rusty, that’s their third game, including two losses , in five weeks.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
The Reds probably had one training session where they weren't hung over and then had to fly to Dunedin.

It was a stupid idea not to give them until Sunday. Same with the Brumbies.

Well they could have chosen to focus on the next match and not party or pick so many club level players in their team - Flook hopelessly out of his class again and Zander can barely scrum and never had an opening play impact in all of his games

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In some ways kiwis smashing us could be a blessing to make RA and broadcasters realise a TT with 5 oz and 5 kiwi sides without open borders policy is not the answer as is reducing our footprint to accomodate kiwi interests is neither the option which hopefully leads us to our own domestic competition and champions league as the second best answer (first best is open borders policy if want TT with kiwis)

RN I wish you would just get over the open borders bullshit. It will never happen, and if it did, there would be few NZ players wanting to ply their trade on this side of the Tasman.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Well they could have chosen to focus on the next match and not party or pick so many club level players in their team - Flook hopelessly out of his class again and Zander can barely scrum and never had an opening play impact in all of his games
Agree about picking your best team, but Flook was not our worst. Made a heap of clutch tackles and was involved in more attacking rucks than most of our forwards.
The biggest disappointment for me in the backline was Stewart not passing twice in the first half with a numbers advantage outside him that could have lead to tries . If your 12 isn’t passing the ball and he isn’t a crash ball type of player , then what the fuck is going on ?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Agree about picking your best team, but Flook was not our worst. Made a heap of clutch tackles and was involved in more attacking rucks than most of our forwards.
The biggest disappointment for me in the backline was Stewart not passing twice in the first half with a numbers advantage outside him that could have lead to tries . If your 12 isn’t passing the ball and he isn’t a crash ball type of player , then what the fuck is going on ?

He hits rucks remember?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
RN I wish you would just get over the open borders bullshit. It will never happen, and if it did, there would be few NZ players wanting to ply their trade on this side of the Tasman.

The point is valid and the concept of globalisation/ professionalism generally works everywhere else.. If we were to offer a competitive package, why would a kiwi players not come over?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He wasn't your worst, but the fact that neither he nor Stewart brings a running game was a major deficiency in the Reds game.

Stewart with a shocker. He really needs Paisami or Petaia to play off.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Couple of things stood out for me .

Firstly we need to select our best team possible for every game .

Secondly , how different the reffing interpretations were . The Highlander scrum chased the engagement all game , off side and side entry that were heavily policed previously were rarely seen other than JOC (James O'Connor) being pinged a couple of times in the first half .

Thankfully the Reds play three home games during this competition, that seemed like a preemptive strike tonight.

Nic Berry for all remaining Reds’ games please.

Should we really?

If we lose next week then it would be fair to say we wont win the competition, why not rest our best players and actually blood some replacements?

We know that Tupou can play 80 if required, and his backups have barely worked up a sweat all year. Maybe our best option to go back to back in Super AU is to rest our best players who will be Wallabies and let them rest up, this would mean when they come into Reds camp after Wallabies duty they are fresher than all the other teams Wallabies and we increase our chances next year.

If we don't win next week then we need to blood other players and try out other options for our team.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
At least we now know that kicking the ball away to play in your own half is not as good a tactic as kicking the ball away to play in your opponents half.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds performance regardless of team put out was disappointing. There games ahead don’t get much easier so some concern. But equally to me just reiterated we need first team playing to have any chance as all our super rugby sides lack the depth to not put out best side against kiwis.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

Hard to disagree re Stewart

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The best Oz team albeit missing a few and on a short turnaround being done over by one of the bottom two NZ sides! Doesnt augur well for Rebs, Force and Tahs.

I think you have to remember the Highlanders touched up the Crasaders by similar score a few weeks back.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
If anything, thought the Reds looked rusty, that’s their third game, including two losses , in five weeks.
Not stopping some classic excuses in this thread, "oh, we were tired from the final, Reds wouldve been fine if the game was played......... tomorrow."
Stewart with a shocker.
Kyle Godwinian.

Fairly ominous for TT. That Ash Dixon try was almost comically easy.

Poor Kalani Thomas started out full of wide-eyed hope and teeneage invincibility but it's almost unfair that one team gets to have Aaron Smith and the other team doesn't.