• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rnd 1: Highlanders v Reds

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think he angles in, just like the THP on all teams.

Maybe he is "worse" than others but if both sides are at fault then it is let go as there is no part of the laws I am aware of that award penalties on how much you break a law.

Does he turn in too far or is he breaking the opposing LHP and Hookers bind and this is what make him look bad

I agree LB, I think it pretty hard to tell, he doing what all Ths should and attacking inside shoulder of LH, and like a lot at times probably goes in too far sometimes. I remember when there was a pommy prop who seemed to angle in a few years and got pointed out in here time and again. As I said it will depend who you support, I don't think he any worse than a majority of THs, but may have to point it out when he playing my team ;).

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do you think New Zealand websites/forums and their media ever spend the week before a game attacking one of their own key player's techniques and questioning the legality of it? Why do we? It's almost as if we want to put doubt in the ref's mind beforehand. Why do we do this?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Team named early

St.George Queensland Reds v Highlanders – Forsyth Bar Stadium, Dunedin on 14 May at 5:05pm AEST

1. Dane Zander – Norths
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
7. Liam Wright – Easts (co-captain)
8. Seru Uru – Easts
9. Kalani Thomas* – University of Queensland
10. James O’Connor – Brothers (co-captain)
11. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
13. Josh Flook – Brothers
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
15. Bryce Hegarty – GPS

16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
18. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
19. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
20. Fraser McReight – Brothers
21. Moses Sorovi – Wests
22. Isaac Henry** – Wests
23. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests

*Denotes Super Rugby/Queensland starting debut
**Denotes potential Super Rugby/Queensland debut

Actually that was the scheduled time
Wednesday 12 May
11:00am: Reds team to play Highlanders announced via media release

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty happy with that team apart from Thomas, is McDermott rested or injured? Seems Thorn thinks Thomas is the go.

Good to see Blyth back, that backline looks more balanced as well. Pretty nice backrow considering the loss of Wilson. Interesting as well they've benched McReight, I guess big weekend.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Kalani has a nice quick pass, he just struggles with the physicality and providing direction to the forwards. Would have preferred Sorovi starting. Rest of those changes, whilst not ideal are expected after last weeks game and the bender that followed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
1. Ayden Johnstone
2. Ash Dixon (cc)
3. Siate Tokolahi
4. Pari Pari Parkinson
5. Josh Dickson
6. Hugh Renton
7. Billy Harmon
8. Kazuki Himeno
9. Aaron Smith (cc)
10. Mitch Hunt
11 Jona Nareki
12. Scott Gregory
13. Michael Collins
14. Patelesio Tomkinson
15. Sam Gilbert

RESERVES
16. Liam Coltman
17. Ethan De Groot
18. Josh Hohneck
19. Bryn Evans
20. James Lentjes
21. Kayne Hammington
22. Tim O’Malley
23. Ngatugnane Punivai

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Kalani has a nice quick pass, he just struggles with the physicality and providing direction to the forwards. Would have preferred Sorovi starting. Rest of those changes, whilst not ideal are expected after last weeks game and the bender that followed.

I expect the Reds judges of rugby ability who continually study the form (both short term & long term) of the players, believe there is something worth persevering with in Kalani.
But the thing is, he's no longer playing in under age groups but against seasoned players like Aaron Smith, who would be putting his napkin on & salivating at the dish that is Kalami

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

see I think it's painfully slow... really found out v the Force and I thought it was there again on Saturday.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Completely agree with Reg. Can't see why he's starting over Sorovi. McDermott shouldn't have been switched imo, and if he was, it should have been Sorovi

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Surprised to see Jock on the wing. I would have thought 11: Vunivalu; 15: Campbell; 23: Hegarty.

Not unhappy though.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Surprised to see Jock on the wing. I would have thought 11: Vunivalu; 15: Campbell; 23: Hegarty.

Not unhappy though.

I suspect they want to give Vunivalu 40 mins in the second half not to put too much pressure on the injury

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do you think New Zealand websites/forums and their media ever spend the week before a game attacking one of their own key player's techniques and questioning the legality of it? Why do we? It's almost as if we want to put doubt in the ref's mind beforehand. Why do we do this?

Do you really think refs are reading this forum? Really?