• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TV Ratings for the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I'm looking around for TV ratings and I'm having trouble finding them. Could we possibly make this a one stop shop for all TV ratings at the world cup.

Sunday's Quarterfinal was aiming for 2 million. Wonder if they got it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd have to figure that the game rated pretty well on Foxtel too.

Surely close to the S15 final.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thanks to the other codes finishing the Wallabies got to be the main sports story today... even in Melbourne...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Eng vs Fra game was the top rating sports program for Saturday, so I think it's safe to say the Wallabies would occupy the same poisition yesterday.

A

Army_Gav

Thanks to the other codes finishing the Wallabies got to be the main sports story today... even in Melbourne...
The front pages of the HUN & The Age:

Attachments

• hun.jpg
    hun.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 202
  • age1.jpg
    age1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 191
  • age2.jpg
    age2.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 201

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
How can V8's outrate the quarterfinal, I don't think I know one person in Brisbane that was watching Bathurst on Sunday. And I knew about 1000 people (some who even hate rugby) who where all watching. How do they do these ratings anyway? Isn't it a sample? Correct me if I'm wrong but there has got to be a flaw in those figures

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
spikhaza the figures quoted are from channel 9's coverage and don't take into account Foxtel viewers. Not many people with Foxtel would watch the commercial channel.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How can V8's outrate the quarterfinal, I don't think I know one person in Brisbane that was watching Bathurst on Sunday. And I knew about 1000 people (some who even hate rugby) who where all watching. How do they do these ratings anyway? Isn't it a sample? Correct me if I'm wrong but there has got to be a flaw in those figures

Bathurst is the biggest event in its field though, and a LOT of Australians do get into it.

The Channel 9 coverage of the QF was only the 14th most watched FTA program yesterday in Melbourne.

However, it would be interesting to see the viewer numbers of Ch9 and Foxtel combined.

I'm sure if it was exclusive to one channel it would've made a great day for that channel's sales reps.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

its done with a sample, Pay TV ratings can be exact, but they tend to do it by sample as well as sample usually leads to bigger ratings.

the thing with bathurst is, it depends on how the ratings where taken. if its during 5 minute samples and they take it during half time, alot of people might switch over thus making the sample size skewed. Its a whole industry of lies and deception and is often thousands and thousands out of actual viewers.

im not sure the wallaby game will do outstanding due to the timeslot, next sunday night will be the big litmus test, 730 sunday is the prime prime prime spot for any television show in this country, the number will reflect alot on where rugby stands in this nation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am on the Nielson TV Ratings panel so I do my bit to ensure rugby rates as highly as possible.

That said, I was at a mate's place yesterday for the game so it didn't rate in my house. I did watch a replay of it afterwards which would count towards some rugby ratings.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I am on the Nielson TV Ratings panel so I do my bit to ensure rugby rates as highly as possible.

That said, I was at a mate's place yesterday for the game so it didn't rate in my house. I did watch a replay of it afterwards which would count towards some rugby ratings.

do you only do it by the box, or do you do a diary as well?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
..snip.. Not many people with Foxtel would watch the commercial channel.

I flicked across to 9 for about five minutes to get away from Marto's nonsence. Only lasted about 5 minutes there until THEY PLAYED AN ADVERTISMENT during the middle of the game. Immediately back to Foxtel. Stuff FTA. This is not AFL where there are 30 second gaps between goals and the next bounce.

I'll put up with Marto's antics to avoid ads any day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
do you only do it by the box, or do you do a diary as well?

It's all automatic. There is a box that connects to the TV (and DVD player and XboX etc.) which records what is being watched and by who (you log in each viewer in the household when you are watching) and it transmits it electronically every night.

There is no diary anymore.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's all automatic. There is a box that connects to the TV (and DVD player and XboX etc.) which records what is being watched and by who (you log in each viewer in the household when you are watching) and it transmits it electronically every night.

There is no diary anymore.

thats good, i used to have to read through the diaries, some funny stuff.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
its done with a sample, Pay TV ratings can be exact, but they tend to do it by sample as well as sample usually leads to bigger ratings.

the thing with bathurst is, it depends on how the ratings where taken. if its during 5 minute samples and they take it during half time, alot of people might switch over thus making the sample size skewed. Its a whole industry of lies and deception and is often thousands and thousands out of actual viewers.

im not sure the wallaby game will do outstanding due to the timeslot, next sunday night will be the big litmus test, 730 sunday is the prime prime prime spot for any television show in this country, the number will reflect alot on where rugby stands in this nation.

Agree WJ. And I don't think 807,000 for the QF was too great (e.g., the ABC way beat that with, of all things, Grand Designs Revisited). Be interesting to compare with historical RWC comparables, if available.

But now the general media are excitedly reporting on the valiant QF win, and we have an SF v ABs in a good time slot, your point re 'where rugby stands' is a really good one. The core reason IMO that media numbers etc for the Wallabies matches have been gradually falling since 2003 is that we simply haven't been winning enough against the ABs and the best teams, then there was the awful result in RWC 2007 along the way. And, too, since 2004 until this year no S14 teams made the grade to the top to drive interest back into the national team. The inconsistency and more than occasional mediocrity of the journey we've been on has put a big hole in the Wallaby brand as media asset (and thus as income asset to the ARU).

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of the radio stations I was listening to either over the weekend or maybe it was this morning, mentioned that the Reds V CRusaders regular season game was foxtels high rating sports event of 2011 (i.e. higher than th league, AFL etc.)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wallabies dramatic Quarter Final triumph has delivered Australian subscription television its second highest rating program of all time behind the 2011 Super Rugby Final which attracted an average audience of 531,000 viewers.

The Wallabies-Springboks contest drew 25,000 more viewers than August's Tri Nations decider between the Wallabies and All Blacks (443,000).

The result has seen Rugby Union climb into the top three positions for highest rating programs on Australian subscription television.

http://www.throng.com.au/

Status
Not open for further replies.