• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Keep in mind that the Colts comp was an U20s..and this team is U19s... So many 1st colts teams had the bulk of their players too old for this NSW 19s team - its tough to make a direct comparison. All but 3 of the Warringah winning team are too old for the 19s comp. Not sure its a valid comparison.
Using Rugby Parents example of using Warringah (the winners and I think most people would agree the best team in the 20s competition).

They got 3 U19s players selected, 2 players are starting (Saunders and Langfield) and the other (Kaia Gate) has not been sighted. If he played for UNI or Easts then I have no doubt he would have played a match by now.

That player (Kaia Gate) is a second row / 6 who previously played NZ U18 7's and was the leading try scorer in the forwards for the competition. Pretty impressive considering he was not a hooker getting easy maul tries.

He made Warringahs starting forward pack (most likely the best in the competition), would some / all of the NSW starters / squad have made it?

Barrett (Randwick) - Depending on what the coach was after, most likely yes since so good around the field but not the better scrummager.
Finau (Woods) - Yes, best forward in the comp for mine.
Stiel (Uni 2s) - No way
McCrea - Yes and no, if wanting a lineout operator then yes.
Tancred (Uni 2s) - No way.
Di Staso (Easts) - Yes, absolutely the man is a weapon at 6/7.
Davis (Uni) - No (how did he keep his spot this week?)
Staniforth (Uni 2s) - No way

Jarvis (Easts) - No
Berckelman (Easts) - No
Nicolle (Easts) - No
Talaileva (Woods) - Likely find a spot for him
Burden (Souths) - Yes, you would find a spot for the Souths leader and hardman.

Selections show me that Uni and Easts (likely due to their coaches) are getting the golden ticket.

More deserving players, noticeably Kaia Gate, Riley Burden and Phil Talaieva (who I'm sure are rightly pissed off) are missing out due to the teams that they play for (or in this case for the ones they don't play for, Uni and Easts). It would be very hard to disagree with above as well.
The fact remains that 4 second grade Uni colts will be starting today's game (and I would imagine next weeks as well).

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They also said they aren’t eligible for this as it’s U19s.

Using this knowledge Warringah got 100% of their eligible players picked in the side.

Sorry to the other states having to watch this play out. Hardly know it’s a national comp.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
They also said they aren’t eligible for this as it’s U19s.

Using this knowledge Warringah got 100% of their eligible players picked in the side.

Sorry to the other states having to watch this play out. Hardly know it’s a national comp.
The point I was trying to make Relene (well aware it's a 19s rep comp and was selected from a quality 20s comp for colts).

You have one player who made arguably the best forward pack (Rats) of the colt's competition (which is where this 19s squad got picked from), lead the competition in tries (for forwards).
(Without even bringing up Burden, Tailaieva ect)

He isn't getting a look in at State level, where a lot of these players getting picked over him (Tancred, Davis, Staniforth) most likely wouldn't have got selected at his club in 1sts (since some of them couldn't even make their own clubs 1st team).

The old adage its who you know and, in this case, it's playing at a particular club and for a particular UNI coach.

Rant over about the amount of UNI 2nd graders in the side, keen to see some rugby today and boys put their best foot forward for Aus 20s selection.

Last edited:

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Under 19’s for todays game 12.45pm

1696630979825.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Queensland Reds U16s v Western Force U16s | Sunday 8 October | 12:05pm AEST | Ballymore Stadium | Watch live via Stan Sport​

1. Kingsley Uys (c) | The Southport School
  2. Keido Goulding | Queensland Country
  3. Berakah Tuifaasisina | Ipswich State High School
  4. Bennett Armistead | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  5. William Ross | Padua College
  6. Gray O'Neill | Brisbane Boys College
  7. Trent Picot | Brisbane State High School
  8. Kiama Jione | Queensland Country
  9. William Graham | St John’s College Nambour
  10. Finn Mackay | St Laurence’s College
  11. Brock Coombes | Ipswich Grammar School
  12. Max Blanch | Anglican Church Grammar School
  13. Connor Clifford | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
  14. Myles Rosemond | Queensland Country
  15. Tyson Walker | Ipswich Grammar School
  16. Isaac Rauluni | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  17. Charlie Hollyman | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
  18. Kapelasima Hamala | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  19. Ethan Ramsay | St Peters Lutheran College
  20. Oliver Nasser | St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
  21. Jack Brown | Toowoomba Grammar School
  22. Clay Andrews | Brisbane Boys College
  23. Max Romer | Brisbane Grammar School

Queensland Reds U19s v Western Force U19s | Sunday 8 October | 1:45pm AEST | Ballymore Stadium | Watch live via Stan Sport​

1. Rory Beech | Brothers
  2. Will Rogers | Norths
  3. Harry Bell | Bond University
  4. Pat Gavin | GPS
  5. Alex Kerr | Easts
  6. Cooper Cameron | Brothers
  7. Joe Liddy (c) | Easts
  8. Pat Sowerby | UQ
  9. Tom Manca | UQ
  10. Will Nason (vc) | Souths
  11. Denzil Perkins | Souths
  12. Ellis Davies | Brothers
  13. Frankie Goldsbrough | Anglican Church Grammar School
  14. Ryley Bierton | Souths
  15. Will McCulloch | Norths
  16. Aidan Taylor | Brothers
  17. Macarius Pereira | St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  18. Nick Harper | GPS
  19. Isaac Nomani | Sunnybank
  20. Cadel Rees | Souths
  21. Callum Reidy | Norths
  22. Dre Pakeho | Brothers
  23. Campbell King | Wests

warriorsdiehard444

Frank Row (1)
This just is not factually correct, so don't bring your fables here please.
Easts vs Souths end of the season back row was #6 Gavin, #7 Di Staso and #8 MacPherson.
second colts = Nicole #6
Dalyrumple was injured for most of the season as well from memory (as was MacPherson).
I rate Nicolle he is a solid player. Di Staso is the best out and out 7 in this squad for mine and I don't think anyone would disagree personally.

Again, Tancred was not first choice, he didn't start the games that mattered so how can you call him first choice!

He has played in the second row, 6 and 8 so four different available starting spots available. He did not start in any 4 of those spots, ie 4 players were deemed better than him and not the 2 people who came down from grade as suggested.
Again, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Nicolle started in 2nds colts against souths and played less than 10 minutes, reason being is he needed one more game to qualify for 2nds colts finals, a tactic employed by the coaches to give Nicolle a second crack at a premiership if 1s colts got knocked out. He then came on in 1sts colts before half time and scored a try, as well as getting a try assist. Another point, he was picked as firsts colts first choice #7 amongst a fully healthy forwards squad in the most important game of the season, makes you think...

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm genuinely fearful for our boys today, hopefully we can put up a solid effort in front of family & friends. We still dont have our best 2 players in the 19's. If the tahs really want to show dominance then play set piece to set piece if they try to play 7's thats the only thing that is going to keep us within a fighting chance of getting a bp out of it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Tahs will want to bounce back but I don’t think they are the best pack 4-8 that’s played for NSW before. Front Row is going to be an issue though. Barrett is a monster.

16s could be a lot of point. Hopefully both ways.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Again, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Nicolle started in 2nds colts against souths and played less than 10 minutes, reason being is he needed one more game to qualify for 2nds colts finals, a tactic employed by the coaches to give Nicolle a second crack at a premiership if 1s colts got knocked out. He then came on in 1sts colts before half time and scored a try, as well as getting a try assist. Another point, he was picked as firsts colts first choice #7 amongst a fully healthy forwards squad in the most important game of the season, makes you think...
I get you're likely his father or brother and you're supporting him and I respect that.

You previously said he played every game onwards, yet he didn't, and you just said as much, 1st incorrect statement.

It appears he did not start getting picked until round 12 (so quite a while and already enough games to be 2s finals eligible it seems, 2nd incorrect statement). When Bird wasn't available, McCrea on representative duties and Di Staso spending some time in grade.

Infact going back even further he played round 1 in 3rd grade colts, got promoted to 2nd colts for round 2 and then got dropped for round 3 back into 3rd grade colts. So, at times he wasn't even deemed good enough to be in the second-best forward pack at Easts Colts. All of which would count as games towards 2nds colts for finals eligibility.

Fully healthy forward squad available for finals yet didn't have these 3 players available; Dalrymple, Sheppard (assume back in England or injured) and no Bird.

So there alone are 3 players who would have been likely in and around that pack so again it was not 'fully healthy' as you had incorrectly indicated, third time now you have been incorrect and needed to be corrected in support of your son (again who I think is a solid player). Well done to him for improving and taking advantage of people missing some time / being unavailable.

It's a shame Easts never have their full compliment of forwards together to see what their best pack was especially when the cheat code Darby Lancaster came back into the backline.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Yeah it’s sloppy. NSW was poorly selected to say the least, and Rebels are always going to struggle so not a great watch. However, there’s flashes. Especially just then, that try was phenomenal.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Can’t believe the selectors genuinely believed this backline was the best NSW could produce. Apart from 10, 11 and 14… this backline is just incredibly subpar.

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
Seriously the commentators on Stan are seriously good at polishing a turb
This game is seriously sub par for a national championship the NSW back line is sloppy actual the 2 squads are not good at all
Jack Barrett done well is Aus junior U20 but today he looked lost

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Result has ended up what I was thinking going in. It was the tahs bench that really took us to the sward. While I agree with the 16's going full vic by the time you get to 19's we should be at least looking at a few more players outside our catchment zone. Today we only had Stiles & the gm only had to look into the next room in his house to find him. A chance to play SR19's is not a promise of a contract so we need to widen the net.

Maybe next year look at 16/7 split, look at the brums they are more than half players from outside the actru/siru

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
U19’s
Waratahs 62 Rebels 5

The score flattered the Waratahs. Poor ball handling skills from both teams for this age group.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously the commentators on Stan are seriously good at polishing a turb
This game is seriously sub par for a national championship the NSW back line is sloppy actual the 2 squads are not good at all
Jack Barrett done well is Aus junior U20 but today he looked lost
Probably Barretts first ‘off game’ in 2-3 years.

The NSW backline is everywhere else in the country. These are all guys bar 1-2 that missed out in lower ages to Cummins, Fowler, Leahy, Nelson who would all be better than the NSW currents.