• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U20s WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
And further to my comment about Moloney’s commentary - not once did I hear him mention the person who actually put up the kick that led to that amazing try. If Bayley Kuenzle’s kick hadn’t been spot on, there wouldn’t have been a try.

Good feedback here from Mrs. Kuenzle ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was thinking that had to be the case but my RugbyReg sarc detector didn't lock in; bloke didn't overplay it, well done.

Must admit, it's a gambit I attempt on occasion.

yeah, it was sarcasm out of frustration following a convo I had yesterday with an Aussie Rugby insider who confirmed that the national 20s is just a development tool.

At a time when Australian Rugby is looking positive stories, sending a full strength Aussie 20s team to the World Cup and make a legitimate challenge for the trophy I think would be a fantastic boost for the sport.

As it is, a loss to Wales and another to the kiwis (likely), will just have the rugby folk back here muttering about how much further the code has fallen. We need rays of hope and a decent 20s showing could have been one.

Instead they stay here so they can participate in 60 point losses to the SUnwolves.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
yeah, it was sarcasm out of frustration following a convo I had yesterday with an Aussie Rugby insider who confirmed that the national 20s is just a development tool.

At a time when Australian Rugby is looking positive stories, sending a full strength Aussie 20s team to the World Cup and make a legitimate challenge for the trophy I think would be a fantastic boost for the sport.

Agreed.

Saying that, the realistic first goal for Aus 20s should be making the semis. That would be a step forward and hasn't been achieved for a long time.

But I'd go back to (being a mutterer) and my comments about decline. Been the same story a long time: players with raw ability but the skill levels and game craft aren't well developed in these teams, even with the star players parachuted in.

My opinion.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"Instead they stay here so they can participate in 60 point losses to the SUnwolves."
OR stay here and learn from the wolfpack shallacking, and take both not 1 but 2 NZ(top super rugby)teams very close to winnable performances??
Always 2 sides to ONE coin.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Instead they stay here so they can participate in 60 point losses to the SUnwolves."
OR stay here and learn from the wolfpack shallacking, and take both not 1 but 2 NZ(top super rugby)teams very close to winnable performances??
Always 2 sides to ONE coin.

I'm sure they'll look back fondly at those Super Rugby losses and be glad that they didn't have to travel to France to play for Australia in the Under 20 World Championships.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"If Bayley Kuenzle’s kick hadn’t been spot on, there wouldn’t have been a try."
The kick was good along with the vision but (imo) not spot on. The exceptional work of the winger to jump the 10 story building to fetch the kick and the presence of mind to off load asap whilst enjoying the view from up above (what we call a specky in that other code) was spectacular and extremely selfless .100% on team mates working together for the greater good :D

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
"If Bayley Kuenzle’s kick hadn’t been spot on, there wouldn’t have been a try."
The kick was good along with the vision but (imo) not spot on. The exceptional work of the winger to jump the 10 story building to fetch the kick and the presence of mind to off load asap whilst enjoying the view from up above (what we call a specky in that other code) was spectacular and extremely selfless .100% on team mates working together for the greater good :D

Have seen a number of these efforts involving Foley and Folau in Super rugby, and at least in those games the commentators credit the kicker for the lead up as well as the acrobatics at the end.

Joe James

Stan Wickham (3)
Is anyone who has any knowledge of the makeup of this team really surprised at this result???? From my knowledge we have never lost to Wales at this level before but as I have said before if you pick a State team for a World Cup you are going to fall well short. The fish rots from the head and the selection heads of this squad have been stinky for the past four years trying to push their Qld program. Admittedly we lost two or three players to Super rugby - but that was only two or three players. But lets replace them with third string Qld players while ignoring the other talent from around the country. Guys that have been regular first and second graders in Shute shield this year (the best level of club rugby in the country) like Mathews, Brown, Wilkinson,Lough, and Morris got left out for guys that were playing colts or not even playing up to the tournament due to injury. Thompson and Gilmore did no research into who the best players in other states were or who was in form going into this tournament. They are getting the results that would be expected from their amateur approach to selections. The ARU should never let this debarcle happen again

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sorry your son had a generally poor game and the commentator didn't laud him for the winger doing an incredible job to make his kick look decent.

Not my son - not even a close relative ......just a damn good player. My sons are preparing for Grade games at Forshaw this week. But it was a clever response, BH.....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Haven't seen a thread for this as yet so.

Day One results
England 39-18 Argentina
Scotland 26-27 Italy
South Africa 33-27 Georgia
France 26-24 Ireland
Australia 21-26 Wales
New Zealand 67-0 Japan

Haven't seen any games, so will have to look out for them. Was hopeful that young Wallabies may get up over Wales, but it still early days so may of been a blip.
Italy getting up over Scotland was a surprise I thought, but most expected England and France to win their games.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Haven't seen a thread for this as yet so.

Day One results
England 39-18 Argentina
Scotland 26-27 Italy
South Africa 33-27 Georgia
France 26-24 Ireland
Australia 21-26 Wales
New Zealand 67-0 Japan
Haven't seen any games, so will have to look out for them. Was hopeful that young Wallabies may get up over Wales, but it still early days so may of been a blip.
Italy getting up over Scotland was a surprise I thought, but most expected England and France to win their games.

Good result for Georgia.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I actually thought Lucas looked reasonable but didn’t get any help from Tupou outside him. Lucas got away from the defence a few times but didn’t have anyone running off him. Some nicely run lines from his 13 would have helped. I guess he’s (Tupou) is new to the position though.

It would be hard to support a bloke running around in circles trying to not get killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gave it away at half time. Very poor attack by the Aus U20s. Also thought McReight (spelling?) was pinged incorrectly by the ref for not releasing a couple of times when he wasn't the tackler.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is anyone who has any knowledge of the makeup of this team really surprised at this result???? From my knowledge we have never lost to Wales at this level before but as I have said before if you pick a State team for a World Cup you are going to fall well short. The fish rots from the head and the selection heads of this squad have been stinky for the past four years trying to push their Qld program. Admittedly we lost two or three players to Super rugby - but that was only two or three players. But lets replace them with third string Qld players while ignoring the other talent from around the country. Guys that have been regular first and second graders in Shute shield this year (the best level of club rugby in the country) like Mathews, Brown, Wilkinson,Lough, and Morris got left out for guys that were playing colts or not even playing up to the tournament due to injury. Thompson and Gilmore did no research into who the best players in other states were or who was in form going into this tournament. They are getting the results that would be expected from their amateur approach to selections. The ARU should never let this debarcle happen again

And what evidence do you have that they did no research - aside from your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.