• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CruSadists bean counters will be hoping it's fine on Saturday after taking a bit of a bath v Sharks: $75K match fee & 1/3 of their travel & accomodation expenses vs 8,500 punters due to the weather & the fact that it's not a great venue even on a good night. Should get a decent turnout this week, though, Hurricanes generally draw a good crowd & while their match fee is $100K (whoever hosts the Final is up for $125K) travel & accomodation will obviously be only a fraction of the Sharks'.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/105669754/sharks-take-bite-out-of-crusaders-pocket

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
CruSadists bean counters will be hoping it's fine on Saturday after taking a bit of a bath v Sharks: $75K match fee & 1/3 of their travel & accomodation expenses vs 8,500 punters due to the weather & the fact that it's not a great venue even on a good night. Should get a decent turnout this week, though, Hurricanes generally draw a good crowd & while their match fee is $100K (whoever hosts the Final is up for $125K) travel & accomodation will obviously be only a fraction of the Sharks'.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/105669754/sharks-take-bite-out-of-crusaders-pocket
Given the crowds, i'd say just about every franchise across the board made a loss last week.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SF will be refed by Peyper, assisted by Fraser & O'Keeffe with McDermott as TMO. I suspect that means Gardner will get the GF unless the 'tahs are in it, in which case it'll be Peyper.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
SF will be refed by Peyper, assisted by Fraser & O'Keeffe with McDermott as TMO. I suspect that means Gardner will get the GF unless the 'tahs are in it, in which case it'll be Peyper.

Based on the last couple of years, I reckon that means Gardner is a lock for the final. Peyper, Gardner and Jackson have been adjudged as the three best referees over the comp. Best one gets the final, the other two get semi-finals. The only thing they have done differently this year is to send Jackson to SA and Peyper to NZ - a move that I would endorse as both will referee better away from home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on the last couple of years, I reckon that means Gardner is a lock for the final. Peyper, Gardner and Jackson have been adjudged as the three best referees over the comp. Best one gets the final, the other two get semi-finals. The only thing they have done differently this year is to send Jackson to SA and Peyper to NZ - a move that I would endorse as both will referee better away from home.

People said that last year and Peyper got the final after Jackson and Peyper did the semi finals.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
fucked if I know how Spacco Jacko is in the reckoning there. His whole "let the players sort it out" thing means it's offside a go-go and NO FUCKEN IDEA what the forwards might be up to

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
fucked if I know how Spacco Jacko is in the reckoning there. His whole "let the players sort it out" thing means it's offside a go-go and NO FUCKEN IDEA what the forwards might be up to
Common theme amongst all refs.

The whole Saracens/England revolutionary rush defensive line is actually just refs being too fucking lazy to enforce the offside line.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

The whole Saracens/England revolutionary rush defensive line is actually just refs being too fucking lazy to enforce the offside line.

The whole offside problem could be easily fixed if the assistant referees were given a simple directive to focus on the offside line while the on field referee focuses on what's happening at the breakdown. They don't seem to do much at all right now, certainly nothing that warrants the title "assistant referee" rather than "touch judge".

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I agree up to a point, but also think a lot of so called offsides are not even that. You really have not much idea when watching the game on TV, as camera angles etc will stuff you up big times. and even at the game much of the yelling about offside I have heard at Suncorp this year has been through little knowledge of laws or wishful thinking!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree up to a point, but also think a lot of so called offsides are not even that. You really have not much idea when watching the game on TV, as camera angles etc will stuff you up big times. and even at the game much of the yelling about offside I have heard at Suncorp this year has been through little knowledge of laws or wishful thinking!

Have you really been to the game if you don't yell "get 'em onside Sir" every second phase?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's pretty easy to tell from the telly. You have two points of reference so angle isn't a problem. Touch judge --> line of players --> ruck.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I've heard if a bird can shit on it, it's out. But then i've literally never seen anything like such a rule enforced.

It's hard to get an accurate bird over the ball at the right time mate, hence the problem!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By the way, has everyone got their conspiracy hats on for the weekend?
Crusaders/Canes ref is Peyper, if Canes win they may have to travel for a SA final!!
Lions/Tahs , if Canes win, then will Jackson make sure that Tahs win so Canes don't have to travel to SA??
When oh when will they get neutral refs??;):p