• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2019

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
^ according to The 1014 Rugby he's also had the most carries in the NZ Conference this year (41) which is more-or-less a continuation of what he was doing for Aucks last year.

Also on The 1014 (which I believe is also a podcast) they put up ASav's attack stats for the year & he's second or third in all of them for the NZ Conference. It was also implied that he's probably well ahead for metres gained post-tackle.

And the Blues.

As per the FOX stats, here's a quick snapshot comparing Ioane with each of the other NZ #8's. I've included both Whitelock and Frizell here as Frizell fulfils the actual role of the #8, despite playing on the blindside (and vice versa for Whitelock). They're doing some weird stuff in Dunedin. The stats are a bit different that what were provided on The 1041 (e.g. 35 carries for Ioane here vs 41 for them), but I'd be surprised if the overall patters are that different.

1IK5dsV.png

And in terms of relative contributions to their teams:

Xdzrik9.png

Currently Frizell is the only one able to compete with Ioane across both carry and tackle contributions, though lags behind in both metrics. Douglas and Whitelock put in a lot of tackles, but don't make that many metres. Given he leads the average carry metres, Savea's middling 5.82% contribution to the Hurricanes carry metres can probably be put down to his only playing two matches so far. Seu is stuck with the Chufs.

EDIT: No stats for metres after contact, though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^ zer0 I think the lack of data for metres gained post-tackle is why the 1014 just made the "no-one gains metres post-tackle like Ardie" comment & left it at that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For the first bolded point what about Papali'i then? This is the second week in a row that his ill discipline has cost the Blues.

As for the second bolded point good to see you are keeping your expectations reasonable then...

For the record - according to Fox Sports on the weekend Akira had 8 tackles (zero missed), he didn't concede a penalty, he didn't make a handling error. You say he's a glory hog but conveniently overlook his try saving tackle in the first half and overlook his near try assist for Ofa in the second half.

Ok mate, let's just say you are a fan, and I waiting to be a fan, as for Papali'i, while I like him , buthe another one I don't really think is in the same class as Akira COULD be!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And the Blues.

As per the FOX stats, here's a quick snapshot comparing Ioane with each of the other NZ #8's. I've included both Whitelock and Frizell here as Frizell fulfils the actual role of the #8, despite playing on the blindside (and vice versa for Whitelock). They're doing some weird stuff in Dunedin. The stats are a bit different that what were provided on The 1041 (e.g. 35 carries for Ioane here vs 41 for them), but I'd be surprised if the overall patters are that different.

1IK5dsV.png

And in terms of relative contributions to their teams:

Xdzrik9.png

Currently Frizell is the only one able to compete with Ioane across both carry and tackle contributions, though lags behind in both metrics. Douglas and Whitelock put in a lot of tackles, but don't make that many metres. Given he leads the average carry metres, Savea's middling 5.82% contribution to the Hurricanes carry metres can probably be put down to his only playing two matches so far. Seu is stuck with the Chufs.

EDIT: No stats for metres after contact, though.
Dan’s point that Akira doesn’t put in the grunt work doesn’t really have legs in light of these stats.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan’s point that Akira doesn’t put in the grunt work doesn’t really have legs in light of these stats.

Yep UTG , but I actually watch the game as well as see stats, and see who gets in rucks, works their guts off to get back in defence, and all those stats prove exactly what I (and most top level coaches etc ) have been saying, he could be so bloody good if only he did the actual grunt work. Which I am quite happy to say, and have in posts this season that he has improved a lot so far this year! Look I understand the fanbois, as I do for most player's, but I also understand what I think, most top coaches look for in international players!! mate it's like the QC (Quade Cooper) in Aus, some will see the clever things he does and scream he is a great player, others will see that he actually needs to do stuff to be as good as they say. I say the same with Richie Mounga, and the ones who were screaming for him to start all tests, especially after BB had a mare with the boot in a test last year, where are thwy now when Richie is having a few pretty average games with the boot etc?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Richie Mo'unga with BB at fullback is so clearly your best option.

I don't get how McKenzie is anywhere near your team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep UTG , but I actually watch the game as well as see stats, and see who gets in rucks, works their guts off to get back in defence, and all those stats prove exactly what I (and most top level coaches etc ) have been saying, he could be so bloody good if only he did the actual grunt work. Which I am quite happy to say, and have in posts this season that he has improved a lot so far this year! Look I understand the fanbois, as I do for most player's, but I also understand what I think, most top coaches look for in international players!! mate it's like the QC (Quade Cooper) in Aus, some will see the clever things he does and scream he is a great player, others will see that he actually needs to do stuff to be as good as they say. I say the same with Richie Mounga, and the ones who were screaming for him to start all tests, especially after BB had a mare with the boot in a test last year, where are thwy now when Richie is having a few pretty average games with the boot etc?
You see what you want to see I guess. From an Australian perspective we’d kill to have an 8 with that attacking ability and such a high work rate in defence. Maybe he doesn’t appear to be trying to get back as hard in defence because he’s so gassed from carrying the team.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurricanes: Chase Tiatia, Jordie Barrett, Matt Proctor, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Ardie Savea, Du'Plessis Kirifi, Vaea Fifita, Liam Mitchell, James Blackwell, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Dane Coles (c), Chris Eves. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Fraser Armstrong, Ben May, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Reed Prinsep, Richard Judd, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Vince Aso.

Impossible to drop Tiatia after last week so Aso goes to bench to accommodate JBar.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12210071

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^ zer0 I think the lack of data for metres gained post-tackle is why the 1014 just made the "no-one gains metres post-tackle like Ardie" comment & left it at that.
Surely no one gains metres post tackle because you release the ball when tackled ey lads?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chiefs: Solomon Alaimalo, Sean Wainui, Tumua Manu, Anton Lienert-Brown, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Damian McKenzie, Brad Weber, Taleni Seu, Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tyler Ardron, Brodie Retallick (c), Nepo Laulala, Nathan Harris, Aidan Ross. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Tevita Mafileo, Angus Ta'avao, Jesse Parete, Mitchell Karpik, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Jack Debreczeni, Alex Nankivell.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
SBW and the returning Blake Gibson are co-captains.

Plummer gets his first start. Renata, Scrafton and Nock back from injury to provide some input from the bench.

BLUES: Melani Nanai, Tanielu Tele'a, TJ Faiane, Sonny Bill Williams (co-capt), Rieko Ioane, Harry Plummer, Augustine Pulu; Akira Ioane, Blake Gibson (co-capt), Tom Robinson, Josh Goodhue, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Sione Mafileo, James Parsons, Karl Tu'inukuafe. Reserves: Matt Moulds, Marcel Renata, Lua Li, Scott Scrafton, Dalton Papalii, Sam Nock, Otere Black, Levi Aumua.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders: Will Jordan, Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty (captain), Braydon Ennor, Richie Mo'unga, Ere Enari, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Billy Harmon, Jordan Taufua, Scott Barrett, Mitchell Dunshea, Michael Ala'alatoa, Andrew Makalio, Joe Moody. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Harry Allan, George Bower, Luke Romano, Ethan Blackadder, Bryn Hall, Brett Cameron, David Havili.

dbcooper

Frank Nicholson (4)
From the first two games, it seemed to me that Akira Ioane hit a lot of rucks, perhaps even more than he should have (he might have been better served being more selective and positioning himself as a ball carrier).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Who are people tipping for the NZ matches this round?

I reckon:

Blues > Wolves
Canes > Landers
Crusaders > Chiefs

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bulls
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Dylan Sage, 11 Rosko Specman, 10 Handre Pollard (captain), 9 Ivan van Zyl 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Tim Agaba, 6 Jannes Kirsten, 5 Jason Jenkins, 4 Hanro Liebenberg, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Lizo Gqoboka

Substitutes: 16 Corniel Els, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Dayan van der Westhuizen, 19 Thembelani Bholi, 20 Paul Schoeman, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Divan Rossouw

Sharks
15 Rhyno Smith, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12 Jeremy Ward, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10.Robert du Preez, 9 Louis Schreuder (captain), 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jacques Vermeulen, 6 Wian Vosloo, 5 Hyron Andrews, 4 Gideon Koegelenberg, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Akker van der Merwe, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Substitutes: 16 Fezokhule ‘Fez’ Mbatha, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Ruben van Heerden, 20 Phepsi Buthelezi, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Andre Esterhuizen, 23 Curwin Bosch

Bulls by 50