• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
While I don't have an issue with SA hosting it in general this does kind of suck.

Would have personally loved it to have been here. There may be a lot of jaded Rugby fans in Aus but most are still more than happy to watch the School Boy and age level game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My guess is that it's a loss making adventure and South Africa gets both the "best" timezone and "cheap" facilities.

Worst kept secret with Scotland hosting the Trophy after they pulled out of European U20 Qualifiers.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Initial schedule and pools (might have already been out) have also been announced:
1000014990.png

Just about the best draw we could've gotten I think.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a very good result. Obviously the goal is to win the pool but this does put us in a good situation to be the lucky loser and get the last SF spot.

We were a better side last year than 5th IMO. Couple of unfortunate injuries and the nature of the comp. Think our side could have beaten SA and the draw v England was a gritty effort. Even the loss to Ireland while some individuals shined the conditions were horrible and Ireland nailed it.

Nobody was stopping that French side though.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Back to South Africa again this year for the under 20 world cup:

This seems like an odd decision, even South Africans on twitter don't understand it. Only reason I can see for the repeat host is that no one else wanted it.

World Rugby announced at the beginning of last year that South Africa would be hosting it for 2023 and 2024, I'm not sure if they will have all hosts hold it for 2 years in a row from now on though.

https://www.world.rugby/news/781174/world-rugby-u20-tournaments-return-to-africa-in-2023
  • South Africa will host the U20 Championship two years in a row (2023 and 2024)

Hopefully South Africa doesn't have the same weather as they did last year, most of the fields were completely ruined by the second games of the group stages.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hopefully South Africa doesn't have the same weather as they did last year, most of the fields were completely ruined by the second games of the group stages.
It's largely the same fields as I understand it, which is a big part of the problem - conditions are expected to be the same. They have dropped Paarl though, which from my memory was the worst of the fields last time.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
First U20s squad of the year named:

Australia U20 Training Squad
ACT BRUMBIES

1 Tevita Alatini - Prop - Gungahlin Eagles
2 Harvey Cordukes - Lock – Uni - Norths Owls
3 Lachlan Hooper – Backrow - Tuggeranong Vikings
4 Lington Ieli – Prop - Tuggeranong Vikings
5 Toby Macpherson – Lock - Uni-Norths Owls
6 Cullen Gray – Flyhalf - Wests Lions
7 Jarrah Mcleod – Centre - Canberra Royals
8 Dan Nelson – Halfback - Canberra Royals
9 Sam Sahyoun – Prop - Queanbeyan Whites
10 Angus Staniforth – Fullback - Canberra Royals
11 Shane Wilcox - Fullback - Tuggeranong Vikings

MELBOURNE REBELS

12 Divad Palu – Centre - Wyndham Rhinos
13 Judah Saumaisue – Backrow - Power House Rugby Club

WESTERN FORCE

14 AJ Preketes – Prop - Waverley College Sydney / Wanneroo Perth
15 Boston Fakafanua - Centre / Fullback - Sydney University / The Kings School
16 Ronan Leahy - Winger - Sydney University
17 Doug Philipson – Halfback - Northern Suburbs RC / Palmyra RC
18 Dane Sawers – Backrow - Kalamunda Districts Rugby Union Club
19 Kauri Tipene-Grace – Winger - Wests Scarborough Rugby Club
20 Tiam Toufan - Winger - University of Western Australia

QUEENSLAND REDS

21 Ollie Barrett – Hooker - Bond University / Nudgee
22 Nick Bloomfield – Prop - Easts Rugby Club
23 Charlie Brosnan – Lock - Brisbane Brothers Rugby Club
24 Ben Daniels – Lock - Brisbane Brothers Rugby Club
25 Frankie Goldsbrough - Centre - Easts Brisbane
26 Trevor King – Prop - Souths Rugby Club Brisbane
27 Joe Liddy – Backrow - Easts Tigers Rugby Union Club
28 Harry McLaughlin-Phillips – Flyhalf - Souths Rugby Club Brisbane
29 Will Nason – Flyhalf - Souths Rugby Club Brisbane
30 Tom Robinson – Backrow -UQ / St Joseph's College Gregory Terrace
31 Xavier Rubens - Centre / Winger - Souths Rugby Club Brisbane

NSW WARATAHS

32 Jack Barrett – Prop - Randwick Rugby Club
33 Jullien Caillol – Centre - Sydney University
34 Ben Di Staso – Backrow - Eastern Suburbs
35 Bryn Edwards - Hooker - Sydney University
36 Aden Ekanayake – Backrow - Gordon Rugby Club
37 Oniti Finau - Hooker / Backrow - Eastwood / Barker College
38 Ollie McCrea – Lock - Eastern Suburbs Rugby Club
39 Archie Saunders – Winger - Warringah Rugby Club
40 Hwi Sharples – Halfback - Sydney University

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
First U20s squad of the year named:
Interesting to compare yesterdays list with the preliminary squad chosen in November….who was left out plus new faces added.
Eg. Boston Fakafanua and Hwi Sharples finished Yr 12 in 2023 and would have been eligible for the u19’s pathway in 2024.

1708543289890.png

1708543501282.png

Last edited:

Desmond

Stan Wickham (3)
The jump from school boy rugby to Colts rugby is enormous. The problem with our pathway system is that is not recognised and it de-values the colts programs around the country! How can you pick players who have not proven themselves in the colts program. If they just stay in these academies training and playing a handful of games we will end up with the same issues in later years that we are in now. If a young player can not make it thru a simple 20 round colts comp and shine then they are not ready.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There's 55 players named in a training squad. We can relax on selections at the moment.

I like the idea of rewarding the best (highest regarded) of the U18s to train with the others. It will pay dividends in the following year when most will be eligible.

The speed of a Colts game is no different to the top school boy games and especially the rep games. It's the size of some 20 year olds that will get a 18 year old in trouble.

Desmond

Stan Wickham (3)
There's 55 players named in a training squad. We can relax on selections at the moment.

I like the idea of rewarding the best (highest regarded) of the U18s to train with the others. It will pay dividends in the following year when most will be eligible.

The speed of a Colts game is no different to the top school boy games and especially the rep games. It's the size of some 20 year olds that will get a 18 year old in trouble.
Squad is now 40 players last year it was 55 players. It appears some have already been omitted and others added. I look forward to seeing how these young stars go at colts level. They should tear it up if they are worthy of U20 Wallabies spot.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Squad is now 40 players last year it was 55 players. It appears some have already been omitted and others added. I look forward to seeing how these young stars go at colts level. They should tear it up if they are worthy of U20 Wallabies spot.
Last year it was 45, they just listed another 10 players who weren't considered due to injury/Super Rugby but didn’t list those this year; guys like Max Jorgensen aren’t listed.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anybody have the Aus U20s lineup for tomorrow's game? As it's in Canberra, I presume there will be a healthy Brumbies flavour.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
U20’s games this month (that I’m aware of)

Sunday 10th March: ACT Brumbies Academy U20s v Western Force Academy,
Brumbies UC, ACT (12:05 pm)

Thursday 14th March: Melbourne Rebels Academy U20s v Western Force Academy,
The Grange Secondary College, VIC (4:30 pm)

Saturday 23rd March: ACT Brumbies Academy U20s v Melbourne Rebels Academy U20s,
Brumbies UC, ACT (12:05 pm)

And in April a new Under 20’s Tournament

The tournament will kick off on the Gold Coast in April, with teams set to play each other once across a three-week period.

Then in June/July South Africa again plays host to the World u20’s Championships

Last edited: