• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Starting team
1. Angus Bell
3. Josh Nasser
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Harry Wilson
7. Fraser McReight
8. Will Harris
12. Noah Lolesio
14. Triston Reilly
15. Isaac Lucas

If Donaldson is in form, move Lucas to 10 and start Donaldson at 15. Lucas knows how to move the ball around the backs and will work better with Lolesio. An experienced 13 is needed here but no one on offer in the squad. The halves were disappointing. The forwards are solid but need better control in the scrums. Bell, Harris, McReight and Wilson are all class.

Trebla

Frank Row (1)
Starting team
1. Angus Bell
3. Josh Nasser
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Harry Wilson
7. Fraser McReight
8. Will Harris
12. Noah Lolesio
14. Triston Reilly
15. Isaac Lucas

If Donaldson is in form, move Lucas to 10 and start Donaldson at 15. Lucas knows how to move the ball around the backs and will work better with Lolesio. An experienced 13 is needed here but no one on offer in the squad. The halves were disappointing. The forwards are solid but need better control in the scrums. Bell, Harris, McReight and Wilson are all class.

The forwards you mention were all very impressive. Very powerful. I thought Lucas was pretty good at 15, why not try Donaldson at 10 where he was so good last year. The backline needs more flow and basically more ball. The winger you left out (No 11) I thought looked dangerous, difficult to stop. We are hoping this group of talented young men can help get the Wallabies back to the top. Maybe for the next World Cup.

Highway 54

Frank Row (1)
Australian Set piece needs to improve significantly from game v Japan. The scrums were poor, line outs although ok put them against a competitive line out they will need to be better. I would think there will be changes in the forwards. Cotton and Siggs will more than likely start. Both much stronger at set piece. Siggs may not have running game Bell has but Siggs is the best number 1 scrummager in his age group in Australia. If Nasser remains at 3 that would be all QLD front row but I won’t be surprised if Breen is given the nod over Nasser for this game at least. Lolesio had strong game I much prefer Lucas at 10 and it would be good to see the WA boy McDonald start at 9. He had strong performances at URC in Canberra. Both wingers were brilliant. Interestingly with the new sub rules. Aust coach had used all his 8 subs with ten to go Trevor Hosea comes off with cramps so Aust played with 14 men for remainder of game. Should be competitive game if Fiji can keep all their players on the field for 80 minutes.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The forwards you mention were all very impressive. .

Please tell me exactly what Nasser did in that game. The scrum was a shambles so he didn't contribute much there, and he was virtually invisible around the park. Bell was not much better. Very impressive running with the ball but again he was badly shown up at scrum time. As Nutta says, "meat and potatoes forst. Then comes the gravy". Bell looks to be all gravy, but I don't think Nasser even gets on the dinner plate.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m going to reserve my comments until after tomorrow night. Agree that the set piece in the last game falls way short of an U20s’ International level, and we lack depth in the halves. If we had played the same game against NZ, we would have 20+ points put on us.
I think Gilmore has selected players ‘evenly’ throughout the states, and IMO the best team on the field would be heavily QLD dominated.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I’m going to reserve my comments until after tomorrow night. Agree that the set piece in the last game falls way short of an U20s’ International level, and we lack depth in the halves. If we had played the same game against NZ, we would have 20+ points put on us.
I think Gilmore has selected players ‘evenly’ throughout the states, and IMO the best team on the field would be heavily QLD dominated.

Which positions should the extra qld players be added in your opinion?

B

Bobby Sands

Which positions should the extra qld players be added in your opinion?

Some folk in clubland up here are baffled how Isaac Henry didn't get a run. That's one name I know, but I don't know much about the national championship - other than Isaac Lucas torn it to shreds and QLD won easily.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The parochial bias is always far greater in under 20s discussions than with adults because the posters are generally far more acquainted with their own state players than they are with the others.

So there's both the favouritism of the players from their own team combined with the fact that they don't know the competition players very well or at all but by default think they can't be as good.

There are masses of valid criticisms for how we have handled under 20s for a long time but thinking the coaches are running their own fiefdom purely to benefit their state players is a bit over the top.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
D5TZZ7RX4AI2sno.png:large

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bench is:

Reserves
16. Bo Abra, Eastern Suburbs
17. Lachlan Lonergan, Tuggeranong Vikings
18. Oliver Barden, Randwick
19. Trevor Hosea, Harlequins Rugby Club
20. Fraser McReight, Sunnybank
21. Henry Robertson, Sydney University,
22. Will Harrison, Randwick
23. Triston Reilly, Randwick
24. Josh Nasser, University of Queensland
25. Harry Wilson, Brothers
26. Nathan Lawson, Southern Districts
27. Noah Lolesio, Tuggeranong Vikings
28. Mark Nawaqanitawase, Eastwood

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought Tupou was injured. A nice surprise. Also looking forward to seeing McDonald and Donaldson combination, and Ralston on the wing. Lucas will continue to perform at 15.
It might be a wet game, so advantage not in our favour. Good luck to the lads.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Will be great to see Douglas, Kibble & Donaldson all get a good run as rate them highly. Kibble and Mcreight could become the "Pooper "of the junior Wallabies. The lock and 6 positions are really up for grabs with neither of the super rugby contracted players impressing over the past 12 months. Donaldson is a ripper and even recognised by his club coach last year as preferred starting 10 over Harrison. The outside backs will be certain to see a lot more ball with him running the show tonight as to what happened on Saturday. I am predicting Douglas will be a star , big ,tough and very mobile. Lets hope he is given the chance to earn his spot through performances on the field. Also watch out for Nathan Lawson, if given some time will demonstrate his skills. Good luck to the lads and if Fiji can back up their 1st half performance against the junior AB's will be a very tough game.
Well done to the 2 WA boys , represent your state and country proudly..

B

Bobby Sands

Will be great to see Douglas, Kibble & Donaldson all get a good run as rate them highly. Kibble and Mcreight could become the "Pooper "of the junior Wallabies. The lock and 6 positions are really up for grabs with neither of the super rugby contracted players impressing over the past 12 months.

Michael Wood is also highly rated up here, and is signed to the Reds in a development capacity (along with Nasser, Kibble, Lucas).

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
been really disappointed with our attack and discipline.
Tizzano has been poor with his discipline but great in defence. Just needs to channel it a bit better.

Donaldson has been very sideways and hasn't straightened the attack enough to give ourselves any space and our phase play has been poor.

Hopefully the second half is different.

Have been really really impressed with 12 from Fiji