• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How arrogant can we be to make so many changes. They’ll say we have confidence in the squad but we don’t have the top level talent to make so many changes.

Sure conditions were poor as well but they weren’t great in NZ either.

Nonexistent Backrow. Poor from 9, 15.

Thank goodness Wilson & Bowen got on the field.

Will say that Annan & Vaihu were strong in attack and defence. Lancaster and Leahy both very good on the Wing. Big fast ball runners are gold. Rebels have a ready made replacement for Monty in Lancaster.

Got away with that one and control our own tournament. Hopefully Barrett and De Lutiis are rested up and ready to roll.

Thought the ref was very good. I can’t recall an incorrect call and on the judgement ones he seemed fair.

Agree about the ref. Thought he was outstanding.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Check the bonus point and move on. With Ireland & England drawing it puts us in a good position to take the pool or a comfortable 2nd. Can only drop one game against one of them. Hopefully their battle has left a lot of sore bodies.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Check the bonus point and move on. With Ireland & England drawing it puts us in a good position to take the pool or a comfortable 2nd. Can only drop one game against one of them. Hopefully their battle has left a lot of sore bodies.
I wonder if Ireland played their best team or were saving it for the Australian game?
England were ordinary in the U20s six nations so I wouldn’t be surprised.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Random stupid thought while watching the game, I kind of wish that we had different coloured numbers.

I would love if QLD players had red numbers, NSW players have blue etc so that as a casual fan of U20's, I can easily see the guys that I will cheer on in a couple of years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How arrogant can we be to make so many changes. They’ll say we have confidence in the squad but we don’t have the top level talent to make so many changes.

I don't think it's arrogance. It's just the nature of the tournament that you have to use your whole squad. There's only a 5 day break between each game and the Fiji game was definitely our easiest game on paper.

Realistically now it's 4 more games in 20 days and if you want to win the tournament you're going to be selecting your best side for each of them.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Not all of them.
Everyone of these guys has at a minimum a train and trial deal with a super club, many have academy contracts and the remainder full contracts. There isn’t one that’s not affiliated with a super club or if we are being technical the Aus7s as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think it's arrogance. It's just the nature of the tournament that you have to use your whole squad. There's only a 5 day break between each game and the Fiji game was definitely our easiest game on paper.

Realistically now it's 4 more games in 20 days and if you want to win the tournament you're going to be selecting your best side for each of them.
I get that and it was written write after watching but gee we almost had the tournament ended. We were pretty close to be sitting here typing how Nathan Grey stuffed it because of changes.

Turned out well thankfully and now we are in a good position for the next 2 games.

I know you ideally want to win all your games in this tournament due to the nature of the finals but the Draw between Ireland & England is annoying. Glad we got a BP because the pool is going to come down to them and PD.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know you ideally want to win all your games in this tournament due to the nature of the finals but the Draw between Ireland & England is annoying. Glad we got a BP because the pool is going to come down to them and PD.

Does the draw change anything for us?

We know that wins in both games gets us to the semi finals.

If we only win one of the two games then we'll finish second in the pool and realistically need at least 6 points from the 2 games to have a chance to progress. Given the way the results have fallen so far I think we'd need 12 points to progress as the second placed team. I reckon one of the other second place teams will get 11 points and have a better point differential.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1687853075772.png