• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Be very interesting to see how they go in Brisbane against clubs that are the level above. They have the players to be able to do it these days...

How were Box Hill for numbers?
I reckon Melbourne will give them a good run for their money in the first game, but unsure about them being able to back it up for 2 games that close together.

Box Hill have been consistently getting 60 players down to training each week which is good for them. Also a number of their 1st grade players from last year haven't been down yet due to work and Rebel Rising stuff so that should boost their numbers as well.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I reckon Melbourne will give them a good run for their money in the first game, but unsure about them being able to back it up for 2 games that close together.

Box Hill have been consistently getting 60 players down to training each week which is good for them. Also a number of their 1st grade players from last year haven't been down yet due to work and Rebel Rising stuff so that should boost their numbers as well.

Who are they playing in Brisbane?? Surely they've taken enough players to cover the 2 games....

Good to hear re BH are getting the numbers to training, hope it lasts all season!

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Also trials are on this weekend as it is the last chance to get a run in wioth Easter being next week....ones I know of are
Moorabbin v Souths
Footscray v Box Hill
Quins v House
Uni v Boroondara

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Trial games this weekend

Moorabbin v Souths - 3 grades
Footscray v Box Hill - 3 grades
Quins v House - 4 grades
Geelong v Boroondara - 2 grades
Warrnambool v Melton
Maroondah v Monash Uni
Melbourne Uni v Adelaide Uni 2 games, 1 snr grade and the other U23s

Colts 10s tournament at Northern

I think they are playing Uni and Sunnybank but I could be wrong.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Not their top grade, Easts play Souths in full club trials this weekend.

This is from their website:
Result from last nights game against Easts 62 -7. To us. Execution and game plan was described as surgical. Well done to all the boys.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not their top grade, Easts play Souths in full club trials this weekend.

Yeah but to be fair neither was the Melbourne side as I believe it's considered a development tour with many players still with state team commitments or if they're older perhaps work commitments.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'll just say what everyone else thinks, someone needs to knock Melbourne off their perch.

I think everyone agrees but I'd rather see that framed a little differently.

What they're doing is great for Vic Rugby, we just need 2 or 3 clubs to do it rather than just 1.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I think everyone agrees but I'd rather see that framed a little differently.

What they're doing is great for Vic Rugby, we just need 2 or 3 clubs to do it rather than just 1.

Setting a high standard for sure and other clubs are trying to follow but not many have a $300k (or thereabouts) "player expense" budget...Quins are a long way off that, Uni as well and every other club just survives on whoever else turns up it seems.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I'll just say what everyone else thinks, someone needs to knock Melbourne off their perch.

Me too! Not many other clubs around have ever won all grades on the day, I know Wests did it in Canberra a while back, old Stokesy didn't stop smiling for a week (which is a long time for him)!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Setting a high standard for sure and other clubs are trying to follow but not many have a $300k (or thereabouts) "player expense" budget...Quins are a long way off that, Uni as well and every other club just survives on whoever else turns up it seems.

I think that's an absurd statement, I've been told by serveral people they don't pay players and I certainly don't believe that but $300,00? I'd guess that Melbourne's sucsess is owed to 3 things:
1) A old boy network to rival (and heavily linked to) the privet school scene that can offer players jobs.
2) The fact they are inner city and called "Melbourne" (google melbourne rugby right now and see who comes up first, it isn't the rebels).
3) They took the cup the year before the Rebels were announced and as such any player looking to give Vic Rugger a crack is looking toward them as the bench mark.

It'd be incredibly shocked if their player payments were above 20-30 thousand. They do however look like they invest a fair bit on coaches.

Quins I'm not sure about but I think they'd be in Melbourne's ball park, Uni on the other hand gives out 4ish Uni scholarships a year to their Colts alone valuing about $1000pp. I heard they gave out more last year but like the Melbourne figure above I'm hesitant to believe it.

Me too! Not many other clubs around have ever won all grades on the day, I know Wests did it in Canberra a while back, old Stokesy didn't stop smiling for a week (which is a long time for him)!

It's a bit BS the depth they have, I think the pressure should be put on them to rename themselves East Melbourne or something because having a club called Melbourne dominating Melbourne Rugby is just silly, you wouldn't see that in any other major city.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I think that's an absurd statement, I've been told by serveral people they don't pay players and I certainly don't believe that but $300,00? I'd guess that Melbourne's sucsess is owed to 3 things:
1) A old boy network to rival (and heavily linked to) the privet school scene that can offer players jobs.
2) The fact they are inner city and called "Melbourne" (google melbourne rugby right now and see who comes up first, it isn't the rebels).
3) They took the cup the year before the Rebels were announced and as such any player looking to give Vic Rugger a crack is looking toward them as the bench mark.

It'd be incredibly shocked if their player payments were above 20-30 thousand. They do however look like they invest a fair bit on coaches.

Quins I'm not sure about but I think they'd be in Melbourne's ball park, Uni on the other hand gives out 4ish Uni scholarships a year to their Colts alone valuing about $1000pp. I heard they gave out more last year but like the Melbourne figure above I'm hesitant to believe it.

It's a bit BS the depth they have, I think the pressure should be put on them to rename themselves East Melbourne or something because having a club called Melbourne dominating Melbourne Rugby is just silly, you wouldn't see that in any other major city.

Calm calm, I never said they pay their players directly (although they might well do), they just have a massive "player expense" budget...see if you can get a hold of their annual report and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not bemoaning the fact that they can offer the various benefits to players, just highlighting the fact that they can! They went from a club who were last in P1 with no/little cash, cleaned out their committee and bought in new blood great effect and have rolled everyone 3 years straight.

Quins would be nowhere near Melbourne's bank roll, Uni either but they are fairly well off and certainly not struggling!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Calm calm, I never said they pay their players directly (although they might well do), they just have a massive "player expense" budget...see if you can get a hold of their annual report and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not bemoaning the fact that they can offer the various benefits to players, just highlighting the fact that they can! They went from a club who were last in P1 with no/little cash, cleaned out their committee and bought in new blood great effect and have rolled everyone 3 years straight.

Quins would be nowhere near Melbourne's bank roll, Uni either but they are fairly well off and certainly not struggling!

No aggression here, just voicing opinions.

Quins do okay, last year they were captained by the a bloke who a year before captained a mid-table Shute Shield club.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Is there a E. Maka playing in the VRU?
Some newspapers in France have announced that Toulouse will sign a young Victorian player named E Maka.
Anything to tell about this guy?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Who's been watching Alan Faalavaau in the Sevens for Aus? Rebs need to sign him up ASAP. Before the Reds steal more EHRUFC talent.

Anyone know what position he plays? Based on his Sevens game I'd say his a 9, 10 or 12.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who's been watching Alan Faalavaau in the Sevens for Aus? Rebs need to sign him up ASAP. Before the Reds steal more EHRUFC talent.

Anyone know what position he plays? Based on his Sevens game I'd say his a 9, 10 or 12.

If he's the bloke I think he is I think he played 13 at a junior rep level but would perhaps be more suited to a roaming style winger in 15s.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
If he's the bloke I think he is I think he played 13 at a junior rep level but would perhaps be more suited to a roaming style winger in 15s.

Yeah he plays in the centres, handy player! He going to stay in Melbourne or head north??

Predictions for round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.