• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In other news, does 4th Grade Prems actually exist this year?

It isn't listed on the VRU website but at least Souths', Powerhouse's, Melbourne's, and Harlequins' websites all list 1 additional grade then they are fixtured for in the current 3x Prems & 2x "Div 2" format.

Interesting days ahead for the VRU, hopefully they don't make the clubs go through with scheduling friendlies for the 4s again and provide the boys with a real competition.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I know Maka is a common name for people with a Pacific island background but as brothers Isitolo and Finau Maka played a long time for Toulouse, maybe this Edwin Maka is related.
I don't know why Toulouse would have an interest in him without suck a link.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know Maka is a common name for people with a Pacific island background but as brothers Isitolo and Finau Maka played a long time for Toulouse, maybe this Edwin Maka is related.
I don't know why Toulouse would have an interest in him without suck a link.

The kid was the biggest, meanest looking player running around in our local comp and he was still young enough to play U18 Rep.

I hope he stays in touch with the Rebels and doesn't end up playing in France and for Samoa for the rest of his career.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Draws & Schedules for Prem 1-3, Div 2 A/B & Country Grade are now available on the VRU website http://ow.ly/a73up

Premier action kicks off next weekend. National Women's 7s titles in Sydney also.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Draws & Schedules for Prem 1-3, Div 2 A/B & Country Grade are now available on the VRU website http://ow.ly/a73up

Premier action kicks off next weekend. National Women's 7s titles in Sydney also.

No Premier 4...unless I can't see the link there. There's going to be a few players not playing competition rugby then....same deal as last season where friendlies are being organised at the last minute!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Good to see my former club, Eltham fielding 2 senior sides this year.

Can anyone confirm whether we played on Sunday's last year? The U15s is this year.

I think the biggest step forward now, is to get some sort of coverage of P1.

As I won't be playing this year, I'm looking at doing Twitter coverage again, when Rebels or Richmond games aren't scheduled. Can't do Round 1 or 2 due to the Canberra/Sydney games.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Box Hill v Souths
Boroondara v Quins
Melbourne v Endeavour
Footscray v Moorabbin - in a close one, this should be a cracker of a game.
Power House v Uni

My tips in bold.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

Can anyone confirm whether we played on Sunday's last year? The U15s is this year.

As I won't be playing this year, I'm looking at doing Twitter coverage again, when Rebels or Richmond games aren't scheduled. Can't do Round 1 or 2 due to the Canberra/Sydney games.
Not many games were on Sundays last year, mainly trials or tour games.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

This is probably more due to them dropping their Colts over the last couple of years rather than because of real progression.

I always thought it was absurd that when Norths Seniors went to god (they've since been resurrected) they merged with Uni and not Eltham to give Prems a crack. Geographically it would have made a heap more sense.

I heard Footscray used to schedule some 4th/Social Grade games on Sundays so you can presume others did too. Nothing serious though, delayed games are usually resceduled for a Tues/Thurs.

I think U15s on Sundays is to tap into the willing school students and is a great move in keeping the links between clubs and schools.

Agreed, I'd love to see a Fan blog pop up but I'm nowhere near connected enough to start one.

The VRU needs to take leadership on this and post a weekly round up with pictures or something. Thanks to youtube even a highlights package is feasible (other similar local leagues do it, i.e Vic Basketball and Canberra Rugby).

Box Hill v Souths
Boroondara v Quins
Melbourne v Endeavour
Footscray v Moorabbin - in a close one, this should be a cracker of a game.
Power House v Uni

My tips in bold.

Hard to argue with your logic.

However, I think we'll see at least SOME upsets. The smaller clubs always have great 1st XVs at the start of the season and the scores blow out when the injuries set in and they don't have the depth.

Let's home for the good of Vic Rugger we don't just see the same clubs dominating again.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No Premier 4...unless I can't see the link there. There's going to be a few players not playing competition rugby then....same deal as last season where friendlies are being organised at the last minute!

What a travesty. By my estimations there must be at least 6 clubs willing to field a 4ths team, so why no 4th grade?

I think this initiative would be great to keep blokes who aren't getting a run in 3s because they can't commit to Tues/Thurs nights, even if they don't play 1/3 of the time. Seriously, if you start their season 2-3 weeks late (like 2nd Div and Colts) they wouldn't even miss that many games.

In the weeks that there isn't a 4th grade game you can distribute the players as reserves, give them a rest, or organise a friendly with some team with a Colts side that has a BYE.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
What a travesty. By my estimations there must be at least 6 clubs willing to field a 4ths team, so why no 4th grade?

I think this initiative would be great to keep blokes who aren't getting a run in 3s because they can't commit to Tues/Thurs nights, even if they don't play 1/3 of the time. Seriously, if you start their season 2-3 weeks late (like 2nd Div and Colts) they wouldn't even miss that many games.

In the weeks that there isn't a 4th grade game you can distribute the players as reserves, give them a rest, or organise a friendly with some team with a Colts side that has a BYE.

Agreed - there was a club meeting at the VRU last week so if there are any Presidents or club reps out there that are willing to let on as to why there are no 4ths running around this year then please speak up!! Melbourne were smart enough it seems to register a team for the Div 2 A comp.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Hard to argue with your logic.

However, I think we'll see at least SOME upsets. The smaller clubs always have great 1st XVs at the start of the season and the scores blow out when the injuries set in and they don't have the depth.

Let's home for the good of Vic Rugger we don't just see the same clubs dominating again.

Yeah there will be some upsets in the first few rounds (hell last year Boroondara were top after 3 rounds) but I think that Melb will run away with the game. House to win by less than 10. Souths to win in what should be a close game, although Box Hill have lost their captain to a broken neck and their back row stocks are now looking very bare. Also Box Hill got beaten pretty badly by Footscray in a trial the other week IIRC.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed - there was a club meeting at the VRU last week so if there are any Presidents or club reps out there that are willing to let on as to why there are no 4ths running around this year then please speak up!! Melbourne were smart enough it seems to register a team for the Div 2 A comp.

Melbourne's 4ths will be running around in Div 2A but they easily had enough numbers for a 5ths last year, but they were well bellow competitive in Div 2B.

They really need a fair grade for their 5ths, as well as Quins, P.House, Uni ect needing a grade for their 4ths. Also, I saw on Souths' website that they were looking to field a 3s (no doubt in 4th grade).

Also I think it's fair to say some of the smaller clubs (Boroondara, Box Hill, and Endeavour) might find that their 3s would be more competitive in 4th grade too.

Food for thought.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
You might also be able to find space for the Melb Chargers side, or that Melbourne Sth Africa side idea that's been floating around for a while, in 4th Grade.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Have done some digging, the P4 comp will go ahead and the draw will come out soon. Six team competition involving Quins, House, Melbourne, Souths, Uni and maybe Footscray. Have also heard that Moorabbin and EH are close to fielding team in the P4 comp so there are plenty of players out there wanting a run...Good news for Vic rugby all round!!!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great news! Perhaps if any of the 3rd Grade teams don't cut the mustard (which inevitably happens) I'd like to see them moved down there.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Great news! Perhaps if any of the 3rd Grade teams don't cut the mustard (which inevitably happens) I'd like to see them moved down there.

Unlikely but it'd be a good kick up the rear for some....does raise the debate of whether or not Souths should field their grades in P1-3 or leave the Navy as their 3rds? Maybe their 4ths are too social to commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.