• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'll be free to do twitter commentary this weekend for @RebelYellRugby (independent resource). Looking at the ladder & fixture, the Melbourne vs Footscray game looks to be a cracker.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Looking at the ladder & fixture, the Melbourne vs Footscray game looks to be a cracker.

Will be about as good a match as All Blacks v Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Footscray got a good draw, playing the only two teams worse than they are first up. They will be decimated.

Melbourne by about 1000 points.

kronic

John Solomon (38)

Footscray got a good draw, playing the only two teams worse than they are first up. They will be decimated.

Don't think it'll be that that one sided, we all know Melbourne dominate.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/p480x480/574871_250591718371473_236870209743624_443219_1909157635_n.jpg

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't think it'll be that that one sided, we all know Melbourne dominate.
It might be close for the first 60 (and by close I mean Melbourne leading by about 10-20) and then in the last 20 the Melbourne boys will look to run from everywhere and will pile on a few tries. I expect them to get up by 25+

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
State team has been named and it has taken 10 players out of the Melbourne side for this weekends game. That could make it rather interesting against Footscray.
No First Last Club
1 Scott Baker Boroondara
2 Graham Scott Melbourne
3 Tom Lucas Melbourne
4 Marcus Slade Melbourne
5 Tom Broughton - VCapt Power House
6 Afa Amosa Harlequin
7 Ilie Bolalailai Power House
8 Sua Lilomaoava Moorabbin
9 Barry Tehio Southern Districts
10 Ben Jones Melbourne
11 Malofou Feterika Southern Districts
12 James Lew - Capt Melbourne
13 Chris Slade Melbourne
14 James Slattery Melbourne
15 Craig Cowley Power House
16 Alan Latu Power House
17 Elliott Bull Melbourne
18 Mitch Andrews Melbourne
19 Craig Charters Melbourne
20 Tim Diak Footscray
21 Maradona Favaro Box Hill
22 Shane Imo Footscray
23 Noa Noa Moorabbin

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)

Uneducated view there, Footscray will be top 4 this season. Melbourne have a lot of players in the state team for Saturday so don't be surprised if it is a lot closer than you think 5SS!

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Uneducated view there, Footscray will be top 4 this season. Melbourne have a lot of players in the state team for Saturday so don't be surprised if it is a lot closer than you think 5SS!

I only know what I've seen of Footscray from playing them in lower grades, and would be surprised if the gulf of talent was so large between their 1sts and the rest.

Seeing the VRU side, though, you raise a good point. 10 outs will hurt Melbourne. Maybe 50 points :p

Good to see Harlequin and Souths relatively unaffected though - their match will be a good'un.

E

ellabroz

Melbourne reportedly have almost 50 players not getting a game each week. Is this true?

Why would you bother training two nights a week only to wait for a game in the fifths? There are plenty of other clubs in Melbourne.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
State team has been named and it has taken 10 players out of the Melbourne side for this weekends game. That could make it rather interesting against Footscray.
No First Last Club
1 Scott Baker Boroondara
2 Graham Scott Melbourne
3 Tom Lucas Melbourne
4 Marcus Slade Melbourne
6 Afa Amosa Harlequin
10 Ben Jones Melbourne
13 Chris Slade Melbourne
16 Alan Latu Power House
20 Tim Diak Footscray
22 Shane Imo Footscray
23 Noa Noa Moorabbin
They play NSW Country in Camden.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Div 2 & Country grades start this weekend also.

At the VRU Country 10s recently, a team for Hay was represented. Interesting...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Have a read of this http://www.craigieburnphoenix.com/newsrugbyunion.htm

From what I gather Craigeburn Pheonix are a rugby league club that have existed for 1 year (and had a fair bit of trouble) and they're seeking to field a league and a union team in 2012 but have been rejected.

Anyone know about this?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/p480x480/574871_250591718371473_236870209743624_443219_1909157635_n.jpg

Great photo mate, where'd you get it? Also, I thought Moorabin had new jerseys.

No First Last Club
1 Scott Baker Boroondara
2 Graham Scott Melbourne
3 Tom Lucas Melbourne
4 Marcus Slade Melbourne
6 Afa Amosa Harlequin
10 Ben Jones Melbourne
13 Chris Slade Melbourne
16 Alan Latu Power House
20 Tim Diak Footscray
22 Shane Imo Footscray
23 Noa Noa Moorabbin

One Quins players in the whole 22? That's interesting as I'd had them pencilled in as the 2nd best side in the league without a doubt.

Div 2 & Country grades start this weekend also.

At the VRU Country 10s recently, a team for Hay was represented. Interesting...

They probably just wanted a hit out that wasn't too long of a drive. By the score accounts they didn't do too well though.

I've been thinking for a while that Vic rugby could add to their Premier competition if they pinched the Albury-Wodonga Steamers. It'd give them a chance to give there 3rds a run each weak and perhaps Boarder Army could compete alongside them so they could make up all 4 Premier Grades.

The drive wouldn't be much longer either and the opportunities for the players would be greater.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I noticed them last year. It can't be due to them fielding a League side also, look at Moorabbin. I'll do some digging.

I asked the VRU nicely, and received it.

True that, was in Albury 2 weekends ago, noticed they are sponsored by a pub in Lavington. Decent sponsor. I wonder how the Brumbies (ACT & Southern NSW Rugby) feel about that? Considering we've got Deni also.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I noticed them last year. It can't be due to them fielding a League side also, look at Moorabbin. I'll do some digging.

I'd be interested to see what you dig up about Craigeburn.

With Brimbank fielding teams through U6-1, Hume City fielding a team (in U12 I think), and Craigeburn trying to field a side you feel that by 2014 we could see a couple of well run junior programs and senior programs in the area. Interesting days ahead for the Brimbank/Hume area, with their demographics perhaps if a well run organisation rises to the top they could even have a Prem club one day.

that, was in Albury 2 weekends ago, noticed they are sponsored by a pub in Lavington. Decent sponsor. I wonder how the Brumbies (ACT & Southern NSW Rugby) feel about that? Considering we've got Deni also.

The club had branded themselves as Albury-Wodonga and right now they play on the Albury side of town but no doubt have plenty of blokes from the Wodonga half. I don't think it would really effect the ACT rugby union who rarely picks players from Southern Inland.

The VRU needs is a wider footprint of successful clubs across the state and Albury are a consistant top 3 side in their league (which probably isn't too much lower in standard than Vic Prem Grade), have a Junior set-up, and have a 3rd grade playing in a league that only runs half the time (much like our 4th grade runs currently). Another point to note is Melbourne is a similar distance to the clubs they currently play.

Oh, and I don't see this ever happening but I'm always plotting new ways to have new clubs join the Vic rugby family.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Games this weekend:

Souths v Quins
Melbourne v Footscray
Endeavour Hills v Power House
Moorabbin v Uni
Box Hill v Boroondara

Souths v Quins should be the game of the round, although with Melbourne missing 10 1st grade players the Melbourne v Footscray game could be a lot closer than people think.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Games this weekend:
Souths v Quins
Melbourne v Footscray
Endeavour Hills v Power House
Moorabbin v Uni
Box Hill v Boroondara
/quote]
My Tips.

With Harlequins only having 1 state rep and Souths providing the 2nd most after Melbourne, I think that game will certainly go Quin's way.

Also with Melbourne's healthy results in 2nds I think they'll still win but it'll be a good game. Hopefully Footscray can manage a BP or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.