• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I have nothing against scholarships, especially long term ones, but I think Skevs would add more value to Vic rugby from a holistic perspective if instead of picking a superstar centre from and Vic U16 rep team they picked up a superstar centre from the U16 Illawarra-Hunter rep team (just an example).

They need to bring new players into the system that'll pressure for rep spots rather than similar shifting talent from the club comp to the school comp for half the season. They need to improve Vic rugby rather than just defusing the talent.

Does that make sense?

In a round about way. I understand your reasoning is wanting to build the talent pool of players in Vic, not just take the best an plant them in a team....but when school's select the players that are on scholarship then they are naturally going to look at the talented kids, goies back to my point of running a business. Every private school's rugby program is competing in against other sports, namely aust. rules, so if they aren't getting results then the decision makers' interests are going to be investing scholarships elsewhere, common sense to pick the talent.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Invest the scholarships to bring Lloyd McDermont kids into the Vic system, dedicate the scholarship to KB (Kurtley Beale) or something and have him present it. Obviously this is just an example but there are heaps of options.

If you're creative you can end up getting a player of similar quality AND increase Vic's talent pool, all you need to do is be more creative with your scouting.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Anyone able to ID a quality openside running around that we could of put on the pine instead of Hodson? Nothing against the guy, just thought it would of been a prime opportunity for a VIC.

I suspect the VIC/SA game before-hand would of caused issues though.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
This week's games are:

PH v BH
Sths v EH
Boor v Foots
Quin v Uni
Melb v Moor

No state game this week, all players should be available.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone able to ID a quality openside running around that we could of put on the pine instead of Hodson? Nothing against the guy, just thought it would of been a prime opportunity for a VIC.

Currently there are two Victorian Junior rep players who are both 20 and have both started Shute Shield games at 7 this year.

Why were neither of them called? Who knows.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Also I liked the look of their 5, named Steve Walsh IIRC, he was a good ball runner and a hard grafter. Hitting rucks and making tackles like a man possessed.

Obviously it's all above board but if he's the man I think he is he's age dispensed and it's his 4th year of first grade (he was particularly good so he played in year 10 too).

Nothing suss, he needed to repeat year 12 for some reason but I do think you shouldn't allow age dispensation for a player of that experience, he is and should be a cut above everyone else.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Melbourne 32 V Moorabbin 7
Harlequin 80 V Melbourne Uni 10
Footscray 31 V Boroondara 10
Southern Districts 31 V Endeavour Hills 12
Box Hill 11 V Power House 7

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Ladder after 5 rounds:
Position Team P W D L
1st Melbourne 5 5
2nd Sth Districts 5 4 1
3rd Moorabbin 5 3 2
4th Footscray 5 3 2
5th Harlequin 5 2 1 2
6th Power House 5 2 3
7th Box Hill 5 2 2
8th Endeavour Hills 5 2 3
9th Melbourne Uni 5 1 4
10th Boroondara 5 0 5

Fixtures for round 6:
Box Hill v Harlequin
Pwr House v Boroondara
Footscray v Sth Districts
Melb Uni v Melbourne
End Hills v Moorabbin

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is there still two teams to get dropped out of Prems at the end of the season?

At this stage Boroondara and Uni look sure to drop out. That being said Uni are a consistantly compeditive first grade side and it would be ridiculous if they were dropped, but unfair if they weren't. Interesting times.

Also good on Endeavour, talk preseason was that they were going to be rubbish.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Also good on Endeavour, talk preseason was that they were going to be rubbish.
They knocked off House and Quins in back to back games and apparently looked very good in doing so.

With the VRU wanting teams to provide 3 grades to be in premier division I don't think they will drop any teams until some of the division 2 teams get their numbers up to make the 3 teams. Perhaps we could go back to an 8 club comp again?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Exciting utility back Richard Kingi will miss out again with his hamstring injury proving slow to heal, however, backrower Tom Chamberlain has finally been given the all-clear to resume playing after suffering a head knock in late March. He will play club rugby in Melbourne.

From the Australian, I can only assume he will be playing for one of the P1 teams instead of Maroondah.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Exciting utility back Richard Kingi will miss out again with his hamstring injury proving slow to heal, however, backrower Tom Chamberlain has finally been given the all-clear to resume playing after suffering a head knock in late March. He will play club rugby in Melbourne.

From the Australian, I can only assume he will be playing for one of the P1 teams instead of Maroondah.

Any idea which club? Def won't be Maroondah! Good for Vic rugby, Byrnes at PH and Lloyd at BH in recent weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom