• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Boroondara v Melbourne
Harlequin v End Hills
Footscray v Pwr House
Moorabbin v Box Hill
Melb Uni v Sth Districts

This week's Dewar Shield games.

Footscray and Power House should be a good game going by the form of both teams.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Footscray V Powerhouse, battle of the West!

Obviously I'd be great to see a Prems club either in Wyndham or in the Hume/Brimbank area but until then this is as good as it gets in Melbourne's west.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Footscray V Powerhouse, battle of the West!

Obviously I'd be great to see a Prems club either in Wyndham or in the Hume/Brimbank area but until then this is as good as it gets in Melbourne's west.

Westgate Power Cup!

PH will have to step it up after getting done down in Endeavour Hills!

W

wulamani

Victoria playing South Australia as the curtain raiser today. Kick off is 5:10pm.
Does anyone know the result?? Most frustrating... no reports or result on VRU, Rebels or ARU sites. These games are deserving of coverage!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone know the result?? Most frustrating... no reports or result on VRU, Rebels or ARU sites. These games are deserving of coverage!
Uni defeated by Souths, 12 - 19. VRU should have them all up within the next hour. Someone will post them here. Jump on twitter, and follow the #3rdtier hash tag on Saturdays for scores.

W

wulamani

Uni defeated by Souths, 12 - 19. VRU should have them all up within the next hour. Someone will post them here. Jump on twitter, and follow the #3rdtier hash tag on Saturdays for scores.
Excellent. Many thanks.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
By all reports, Adam Byrnes had a great game for Power House against Footscray. Wish there was more of this, when possible eg. June break.

After 4 rounds, Melboune is the clear pack leader. Perhaps Moorabbin the next best? We'll find out next week, when Melbourne hosts them.

Unfortunately I won't get to a game next weekend, due to the Rebels/Saders.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Games for this weekend are:
Pwr House v Box Hill
Sth Districts v End Hills
Boroondara v Footscray
Harlequin v Melb Uni
Melbourne v Moorabbin

I am sure if you went to the Power House game you could get to AAMI pretty quickly and be there for most of the curtain raiser, which this week is a couple of schoolboy teams playing (St Kevs v Melbourne Grammer IIRC).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are you sure Skevs and Grammar are playing? They played just last week.

A 7:40 game is a real hatchet in the works to a bloke's Saturday night, do sports teams usually get good crowds at this gametime?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Are you sure Skevs and Grammar are playing? They played just last week.

A 7:40 game is a real hatchet in the works to a bloke's Saturday night, do sports teams usually get good crowds at this gametime?

I think so, although it's for the Ewen McKenzie cup or something. I will confirm later today though.

St Kevs look the business this year, I saw them play at the weekend and they have a very good 12 who has apparently played for the Rebel Rising team. Also I liked the look of their 5, named Steve Walsh IIRC, he was a good ball runner and a hard grafter. Hitting rucks and making tackles like a man possessed.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
St Kevs are a great team, well coached with good players.

However, my issue is they almost always have the best roster and they still load up on the scholarships. They don't need them at all and all it does is water down the talent of the club league.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
St Kevs are a great team, well coached with good players.

However, my issue is they almost always have the best roster and they still load up on the scholarships. They don't need them at all and all it does is water down the talent of the club league.

Private schools will always have scholarships, they just want to win...schools are run like businesses these days so the sporting environment is no different.

The no 12 at StK has been there for a while and is not just a 2012 ringer, played rep rugby all of the way through juniors and senior rugby at StK for a couple of years. Originally from Wyndham and plays club there once the school season is finished.

The club competition is very strong in juniors, if you played a Club XV versus a School XV the result would be in favour of the club boys I'd guess!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I am sure if you went to the Power House game you could get to AAMI pretty quickly and be there for most of the curtain raiser, which this week is a couple of schoolboy teams playing (St Kevs v Melbourne Grammer IIRC).
I'm a firm believer in a solid pre-game session, eg. 3pm start

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have nothing against scholarships, especially long term ones, but I think Skevs would add more value to Vic rugby from a holistic perspective if instead of picking a superstar centre from and Vic U16 rep team they picked up a superstar centre from the U16 Illawarra-Hunter rep team (just an example).

They need to bring new players into the system that'll pressure for rep spots rather than similar shifting talent from the club comp to the school comp for half the season. They need to improve Vic rugby rather than just defusing the talent.

Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.