• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Melbourne won't be up the top this year, they have had a bit of an exodus, apparently for their first training session they only had 18 turn up.

Top 3 will be Quins, House and Footscray I think.

Remember in 2009 when they lost every game for the first half of the season and won every game in the 2nd half, including the grand final?

I'd never count Melbourne out, they're a club with great connections and resources.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Remember in 2009 when they lost every game for the first half of the season and won every game in the 2nd half, including the grand final?

I'd never count Melbourne out, they're a club with great connections and resources.

Yeah I remember, it helped that they recruited a high number of very good players. I don't see it happening this year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah I remember, it helped that they recruited a high number of very good players. I don't see it happening this year.

But the question is, how come?

There's more quality players coming to Vic than ever with the Rebels and Melbourne is a brand name club with the money and job connections to make sure those players have more than adequate support.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
last night i saw a group of players from melbourne training at the tan/domain. only about 25 (30 at most). they looked pretty young but not that young that it was only their colts, perhaps they are struggling for numbers

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
last night i saw a group of players from melbourne training at the tan/domain. only about 25 (30 at most). they looked pretty young but not that young that it was only their colts, perhaps they are struggling for numbers

I'm not a massive fan of the club but one thing they do well is succeed. I doubt they're in too much strife.

How's Uni doing?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm not a massive fan of the club but one thing they do well is succeed. I doubt they're in too much strife.

How's Uni doing?

I recall many moons ago they had at least 2 managers from CUB on their board, which would make one of the biggest Rugby income earners (bar sales) easy to come by. Don't know if that's the case now. There are some fundamental things that will always make them strong; the connection to feeder schools in the local area, proximity to the CBD (and potential expat/travelling rugby talent), strong business connections (see above example) and their relative success over the past decade. They have good Club rooms and co-locating with old Xavs can help to share the costs. The think that always bugged me was parking around their paddock, i'd be forever trying to fight for a spot with all the residents and fellow players. If that's the only problem then I think they are in a good spot.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the coterie group are in fine form, training hard at telling tall tales and true.
don't know about the actual players though. see if I can find out. I do know the senior team are off to Queensland and the Laffin Cup again preseason.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Neil Walsh is back training with Melbourne after recovering from the shoulder injury that cost him a Ulster contract. He got a few games in the Pro12 last year and was offered a contract until injury hit, contract was straight off the table than.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
uni taking away a squad of about 35 to Queensland, training camp on Stradbroke island, game against Wests (Brisbane) and then onto Sydney for the Laffin Cup.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Any news from trial matches around the place??

Nine Rebels took part in Dewar Shield trials over the weekend - how did they go?
Endeavour Hills:
"We had Eddie Aholelei and Jack Debreczeni play for us on Saturday. Both of them came to training on Thursday and participated in a team run.
Eddie did a bit of work with the scrum and line outs, which was appreciated by the forwards. He got involved in a bit of leadership during the trial and, once again, the boys enjoyed and benefitted from his input.
Jack only got to play about 30 minutes before he got a knock to his knee and was replaced. He is an exciting young fellow and as we have a pretty young back line, he fitted in well."
John Eden, Head Coach Endeavour Hills
Footscray:
"It was great to have Cruze Ah-Nau returning to our club for 2104 and to also welcome Lopeti Timani into the Footscray Family.
Both players performed extremely well, giving us added grunt in tight. They also showed some of our younger players the intensity that they need to bring to their own games to reach the same heights as these two."
Nic Henderson, Head Coach Footscray
Harlequin:
"Shota Horie and Alex Rokobaro came down and played, and both were very keen and put themselves around the park.
Shota had a big work rate in both attack and defence, and despite limited preparation did well at set piece time. Alex was busy and looked for work, he put in a couple of nice touches when he found himself at first receiver. It was great to have them both down, and they fitted in with the group really well."
Craig McGrath, Head Coach Harlequin
Melbourne Unicorns:
"Jordy Reid and Telusa Veainu both played in the Unicorns game against Northern on Saturday Their professionalism and attitude was a real plus for the club.
The intensity they bought to the game has given MRFUC younger players a true indication of what they need to do to be considered to play professional rugby.
We look for forward to any time they are released to play for the Unicorns."
Ellis Meachen, Head Coach Melbourne Unicorns
Melbourne University:
"Sam Jeffries had a run for us on the weekend against Footscray. The big fella played around 30 minutess before having to be taken off as a precaution following a knock to his thumb.
Sam, as expected, excelled at line out time and carried a bit of ball as well which was great to see. Sam fitted in well with the Uni guys, which was probably because there were so many new guys around him at Uni this season."
Jason Jones, Head Coach Melbourne University

That's all I can find, no results or anything anywhere on the VicRugby website or Facebook.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Footscray might be in for a long season.

Today their 3s lost by plenty to Wydnham City, 2s lost by plenty to Melbourne Uni 2nds, and 1s lost by plenty to a Box Hill 1sts.

Apparently their numbers are impressive though.

T

Train Without a Station

Wouldn't read too much into the Footscray results really.

I noticed at least one player who couldn't crack the 2013 2nds starting team playing in their "1's" so I highly doubt that's close to their best team.

Their "2nds" I didn't recognise a single face from 2013 in, and for Uni, we took a fucking cast of thousands out there. The last quarter had probably 3 2nd graders from 2013, with the remainder first graders or new players who likely will play 1s running up against a tired and realistically, 3rd grade outfit. The only potential 1st graders that didn't play were the ones going to Brisbane on the Laffin Cup trip.

As for Wyndam, I know they have picked up a few quality players (including from Footscray speaking to Karl and Ash after the game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wouldn't read too much into the Footscray results really.

I noticed at least one player who couldn't crack the 2013 2nds starting team playing in their "1's" so I highly doubt that's close to their best team.

Their "2nds" I didn't recognise a single face from 2013 in, and for Uni, we took a fucking cast of thousands out there. The last quarter had probably 3 2nd graders from 2013, with the remainder first graders or new players who likely will play 1s running up against a tired and realistically, 3rd grade outfit. The only potential 1st graders that didn't play were the ones going to Brisbane on the Laffin Cup trip.

As for Wyndam, I know they have picked up a few quality players (including from Footscray speaking to Karl and Ash after the game.

Couldn't crack their 2nds? Footscray's 2nds looked like a pick-up team in 2013.

I'm not casting blame, just passing on sentiments. I heard Footscray had a Rebel and their 10 who trains with the Rebels near full time, can't have been that bad of an XV.

T

Train Without a Station

Big call considering I watched them defeat Melbourne in 2013, and they did finish 4th.

Anyway, based on the fact that they are just around the corner and a lot of ex Uni lads are at Footscray so we have a good idea about the work they've been putting in and who has been putting it in, I'd say, unless they've lost 20 blokes over the off season, half of that "1sts" team will be playing 2nds.

I did see Cruze down there warming up, but there were also a few faces missing from last season who I know have been training.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Big call considering I watched them defeat Melbourne in 2013, and they did finish 4th.

Anyway, based on the fact that they are just around the corner and a lot of ex Uni lads are at Footscray so we have a good idea about the work they've been putting in and who has been putting it in, I'd say, unless they've lost 20 blokes over the off season, half of that "1sts" team will be playing 2nds.

I did see Cruze down there warming up, but there were also a few faces missing from last season who I know have been training.

Fair enough, I know they have a guy with Tonga A but I thought that was there only out. I can't imagine why they'd have a particularly large number of guys out.

I like seeing a community club like Footscray succeed, I'm not death riding them. I'm just saying their weekend's results weren't flash and could mean bad things.

How's Uni looking? Is their terrific infrastructure finally going to lead to a finals berth in 1sts?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Melb Uni went down 0 -13 to Uni-Norths (ACT) in the final of the Laffan Cup on Saturday. apparently very hard fought final according to Uni- Norths website.

Status
Not open for further replies.