• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

VRU 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So as a quick survey how many grounds can play at night? From memory:

Melbourne
Quins
Uni
Box Hill (at a stretch, only on number two and only remember 2 light stands)

Where else?

Box hill couldn't, only has lights on pitch 2 and not enough light.

Powerhouse can play at night on pitch 1.

Real question is how many can play at home for the first month of the season this year?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Box hill couldn't, only has lights on pitch 2 and not enough light.

Powerhouse can play at night on pitch 1.

Real question is how many can play at home for the first month of the season this year?

Unless things have changed from 2013, only Quins, Endeavour Hills and Moorabbin have match standard lighting, all of the rest are suitable for training but the VRU won't allow games to be played on the other grounds IIRC.

House won't get their grounds for a while, sucks for us as we are chopped and changed every other week for games and training!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think before the major renovations occurred at box hill they contemplated sharing the grounds of the soccer club just located across Canterbury road. Perhaps this sort of thinking, where you could share with the other square code, could give us enough grounds with suitable lighting for the round. Also, I think Monash uni would have enough square grounds for night matches.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lights have to be up to ARU insurance standard - End Hills, Quins, Rams and Eltham (2nd Div) could host games. Unicorns lights might be up to standard also.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
So far I have seen the following clubs advertising for new coaches:

Melbourne, Uni, House, Footscray, Box Hill, Endeavour Hills, Quins and Moorabbin. Seems like only Souths are keeping their coaches from last year. Might be interesting to see if this changes how the teams play as well.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
So far I have seen the following clubs advertising for new coaches:

Melbourne, Uni, House, Footscray, Box Hill, Endeavour Hills, Quins and Moorabbin. Seems like only Souths are keeping their coaches from last year. Might be interesting to see if this changes how the teams play as well.

Not sure they are all 1st grade positions advertised.
Quins won't change much, I'd say Cliffy and Craig.
Footscray have Nic there full time instead of part time now he has retired.
House is still Glenn, Leni, and Eric.
Hills is still John.
Uni, heard Ruhan is heading there....?
News is also that Mitch Canning is at Kiwis this year.

The eternal struggle is to get quality coaches down the grades, always an issue in Vic Rugby.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure they are all 1st grade positions advertised.
Quins won't change much, I'd say Cliffy and Craig.
Footscray have Nic there full time instead of part time now he has retired.
House is still Glenn, Leni, and Eric.
Hills is still John.
Uni, heard Ruhan is heading there..?
News is also that Mitch Canning is at Kiwis this year.

The eternal struggle is to get quality coaches down the grades, always an issue in Vic Rugby.

I heard a rumor that Gary, the little Scottish guy from Souths a couple of years ago, is now the head coach of Melbourne.

Also is seems that 3 of the Melbourne "stars" have retired.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Good set up, those guys are all good coaches. It will be interesting to see if Craig plays as well as coaches this year. Or whether he stops playing due to Ruhan leaving.

Interesting character that Scotsman.his traits might work at Melbourne.
He was there last year as an assistant but Ellis had a weird game plan. If you had Ben Jones, Chris Slade and Tim Neevez in the backline, with Slatts and "Chainsaw" on the bench why on earth would you plan to play a forwards game plan?

Who's retired?
Jones, Slade and Neevez IIRC.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Heard wrong. Business commitments will prevent him from coaching.

I stand corrected!

Who are the 2014 1st grade coaches??

Footscray - Nic Henderson
Souths - Ross Sanders
Quins - Craig McGrath and Cliff Villiamu
House - Glenn Fowles, Leni Tui and Eric Tom Jnr
Endeavour Hill - John Eden
Melbourne - Gary
Uni - Jason Jones??
Moorabbin - ??
Box Hill - ??

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I stand corrected!

Who are the 2014 1st grade coaches??

Footscray - Nic Henderson
Souths - Ross Sanders
Quins - Craig McGrath and Cliff Villiamu
House - Glenn Fowles, Leni Tui and Eric Tom Jnr
Endeavour Hill - John Eden
Melbourne - Gary
Uni - Jason Jones??
Moorabbin - ??
Box Hill - ??

I think Andrew Slyfield is still in charge at Box Hill, although he might have moved into a more of a "coaching director" role with 3 deputies for the grades. I am not sure.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Box Hill won the 10s comp at the weekend apparently.

Apparently they have a speight (intended pun) and new Fijian players of some talent.

What else is news in clubland boys? Do you think we're going to see a shake-up of standings? Or is it going to be the same old powerhouses dominating?

I'm pretty impressed by Endeavour Hills' recruiting but who knows if it'll be enough to see success. Palia (for example) is an excellent player, but I've been hoping someone will reinvent him as a front rower.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently they have a speight (intended pun) and new Fijian players of some talent.

What else is news in clubland boys? Do you think we're going to see a shake-up of standings? Or is it going to be the same old powerhouses dominating?

I'm pretty impressed by Endeavour Hills' recruiting but who knows if it'll be enough to see success. Palia (for example) is an excellent player, but I've been hoping someone will reinvent him as a front rower.

Melbourne won't be up the top this year, they have had a bit of an exodus, apparently for their first training session they only had 18 turn up.

Top 3 will be Quins, House and Footscray I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.