• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia, Sunday 21st 4.30 am ADST.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I always thought forwards created front foot ball for backs, not the other way around.

In any case, the things that killed us were the 18 penalties and 13 turnovers. We had pretty much zero continuity or field position. From what I saw, pretty much everyone contributed in there somewhere.

Edit: 18 penalties plus 3 free kicks

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Full noise horsepower for me

1. Slipper 2. latu 3. Tupou
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Leota 8. Valetini 7. Samu
9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Daugunu 12. Paisami 13. Perese 14. Kellaway 15. Beale

16. Fainga'a 17. Bell 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Rodda 20. Fainga'a 21. Mcdermott 22. Lolesio 23. Wright

Just keep it a bit tighter a bit longer!!

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Full noise horsepower for me

1. Slipper 2. latu 3. Tupou
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Leota 8. Valetini 7. Samu
9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Daugunu 12. Paisami 13. Perese 14. Kellaway 15. Beale

16. Fainga'a 17. Bell 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Rodda 20. Fainga'a 21. Mcdermott 22. Lolesio 23. Wright

Just keep it a bit tighter a bit longer!!
I'm a big fan. That's a scary forward pack

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know it’s no-ones favourite way of playing, but I think we need to kick to a contest more often. Sending the ball deep and letting teams take it uncontested isn’t getting us anywhere. We aren’t winning possession in the attacking part of the field.

Box kick to a contest and try and win the ball back. Even a few Garryowens. It isn’t a game plan we’ve been great at - but our long kicking strategy isn’t working for us. Then, hopefully, we can win some ball in the opposition half and play some phases.

Solid set piece and a much lower penalty count would be a massive help too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know it’s no-ones favourite way of playing, but I think we need to kick to a contest more often. Sending the ball deep and letting teams take it uncontested isn’t getting us anywhere. We aren’t winning possession in the attacking part of the field.

Box kick to a contest and try and win the ball back. Even a few Garryowens. It isn’t a game plan we’ve been great at - but our long kicking strategy isn’t working for us. Then, hopefully, we can win some ball in the opposition half and play some phases.

Solid set piece and a much lower penalty count would be a massive help too.
Our kick chasers looked way too hesitant on the weekend, why in a country of AFL do we suck under the high ball?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought KB (Kurtley Beale) was pretty good in the air and Wright and Kellaway excellent the weekend before? Its a trainable skill and going by the Wallabies social media posts they are practising it a lot.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually though we were good under their high balls. Kellaway spilled one, but otherwise I thought we were fine. I can’t remember is giving ourselves too many chances to challenge their players when we put high balls up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Whatever combo Rennie starts with, I’d like to see Swain get the bench spot as his reward for a great year.

I thought Swain performed pretty well throughout the year, but I thought he was especially good off the bench. Every time he came on he had a positive influence from memory. He brought energy and enthusiasm and won a couple of clutch lineouts. And I think it would be good for his development.

I won’t have any qualms if they start him either, but I personally feel that he is ideal for the bench at this stage.
Swain has had a boss year in test matches hasn't he, it's like he grow a third leg and is a destroyer of mauls and came up with some clutch plays.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I would change it up a little and go with:

1. Tupou
2. Latu
3. Slipper
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Leota
7. Samu
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Perese
14. Wright
15 .Kellaway

R. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
R. AAA
R. Bell
R. Swain
R. Swinton
R. Tate
R. JOC (James O'Connor)
R. Ikitau

I want to see Latu with decent minutes. Same as Skelton. May as well give Arnold another crack after a further week learning the systems.

Give Lolesio a start in the NH. He cannot be any more average than JOC (James O'Connor) has been and I think it would be a wonderful learning experience for him.

Toying with:

14. Kellaway
15. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Wright

Perhaps more balanced with JOC (James O'Connor) providing another playmaker option. With a strong power running starting team it may make more sense to have JOC (James O'Connor) on at the same time.

FWIW I think they will stick to essentially the same backline with JOC (James O'Connor) @10 and KB (Kurtley Beale) @ 15

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I cannot see JOC (James O'Connor) being left out with no Michael Hooper in the side. White will start for the same reason. We really need to finish the season with a W. I think its balls to wall for 60-65 minutes and let Noah have a run after that if we look in a good position.
It would be good to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or 15 late in the game to give us a look at where he might land next test season.
We need our pack to establish dominance from the kick off.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It sounds like there won’t be too many unforced changes, Rennie sticking to his guns with continuity.

Alalaatoa and Tupou back in, Latu to start to cover some of Hoopers on ball presence, Samu at 7 and Swinton taking his spot on the bench.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't love that backrow combination, not against Wales and not if Arnold, Rodda and Skelton are the lock options.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reinstate Swinton, Swain and Philip pls. You know, the players who performed well back when we were winning.

A win against Wales basically saves this tour for Rennie. 1/3 is reasonable given the disruptions.

0/3 against three very underwhelming home nations sides is pretty piss poor.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its Samu or Fainga'a. Samu is fast, good at the breakdown, has a strong lineout and is an excellent running option. We really need to take it to Wales up front. They are missing some forwards and are vulnerable. I think he is the best option. It sure would be nice to have McReight about now.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I cannot see JOC (James O'Connor) being left out with no Michael Hooper in the side. White will start for the same reason. We really need to finish the season with a W. I think its balls to wall for 60-65 minutes and let Noah have a run after that if we look in a good position.
It would be good to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or 15 late in the game to give us a look at where he might land next test season.
We need our pack to establish dominance from the kick off.

Agreed. That was just the team I would like to see for the reasons mentioned.

Almost impossible to see Rennie leaving JOC (James O'Connor) out and not in the 10 slot. I suspect the backline will basically be unchanged.