• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia, Sunday 21st 4.30 am ADST.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
My understanding is a knock down is okay provided :
1. The ball travels backward
2. The defender attempted to grab the ball carrier prior to knocking the ball down.

I'm not sure the second point happened in this instance, which would rule no try.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
As frustrated as he was, Dave shat the bed there.

Not doing himself any favours. Will probably cop a fine.

Thing is, if Beale had tackled the Welshman instead of pleading, hands up, to the ref, we wouldn't have conceded that 2nd half try.

Effort was there for us but still mixed in with too much dumb...
Yes, if it was mid season then the blow up might put pressure on the officials in the remainder of the year. No one will remember it next year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We got to be more consistent as got momentum after beating South Africa but let a lot of that get lost after this tour. Anyhow I think we learnt we are not a top 3 side at this point.
A lot of personnel changes from those South African victories, I can see how momentum was lost.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That Welsh line out before Rob's, Red Card, the Welsh Hooker has the ball behind his head ready to throw. He then proceeds to baulk the ball several times.

When did that become legal?

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
That Welsh line out before Rob's, Red Card, the Welsh Hooker has the ball behind his head ready to throw. He then proceeds to baulk the ball several times.

When did that become legal?
Sometime during the week as we got done for it last weekend

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
My understanding is a knock down is okay provided :
1. The ball travels backward
2. The defender attempted to grab the ball carrier prior to knocking the ball down.

I'm not sure the second point happened in this instance, which would rule no try.
The episode shows an interesting difference between refereeing in the North compared to the South.
In Super Rugby there is a lot of talk from the Referee to the players. Helps the players correct their actions and brings a flow to the game. In Super Rugby the ref would have called it knock back. Instead we had an incident of players stopping then going what you will see in U12s not in international rugby because referee didn’t call it. That was poor from the referee.
Regardless of what you may think of rule interpretations his game management was terrible.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the big decisions were correct.

Valetini definitely a red under current guidelines.

Beale obviously a yellow under current guidelines.

The Welsh fry was unfortunately a try because the law is a deliberate knock on.

perhaps a few peripheral things but the big rulings were accurate.

Mitchell and Merhtens need to up date themselves with the laws. Both were petulant and embarrassing.

but we almost won and it would have been an incredible win. If Paisami had found Tate inside then a fry under the posts rather than Daugunu out wide, gives us the lead. But another dumb penalty likely would have cost us.

JOC (James O'Connor) still doesn’t look a natural 10 but played well. Paisami was terrific while the pack worked hard lead by Rodda and Tupou with Leota impressive again.

a good bounce back effort by Ikitau who played a lot more sensibly. Also a word for the European 4 who had their respective best games this tour. Beale’s card a shocker and a little lose with the carry, but he was dangerous.

still, none id bend rules for to play again.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) made a feeble attempt at a tackle just prior to Beales yellow. If he makes a proper attempt and makes the tackle then no card.
Valentini tackle was too high and asking for trouble if there was head contact.
Good to see Swinton putting in some big hits below the waist. He has obviously learned.
Australia once again their own worst enemy. The ref had no control of the game and may have been influenced by the crowd? Still, our stupidity and lack of discipline cost us big time again. If I was Rennie I would be giving a few of our blokes a serious serious dressing down.

JOC (James O'Connor), Wright and possibly Ikitau do not need to be in this side. Repeating stupid mistakes week in and out. KBs yellow was debatable. He was making a tackle at their time and as said, JOCs missed tackle created the situation.

A disappointing end to maybe the worst EOYT I can remember.

edit - I have been watching them since the early 70s