• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No he wasn't.. Kepu nailed down the starting TH role last EOYT.
He was the form THP during early parts of Super Rugby, Kepu was behind Patty Ryan. Granted Id have given Kepu the start but it would have been close going into the French Tests.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He was the form THP during early parts of Super Rugby, Kepu was behind Patty Ryan. Granted Id have given Kepu the start but it would have been close going into the French Tests.

that just highlights the difference between super rugby and test rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Super Rugby isn't the same as test rugby and it involved different coaches.

Just like McKenzie was going to select To'omua at 12 even though he played 10 for the Brumbies, I don't think Cheika starting Ryan was likely to have any impact on McKenzie's selections that he'd settled on during the EOYT.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
that just highlights the difference between super rugby and test rugby
But who are we going to pick over him. Everyone people suggest can't even get a run at Super Rugby. His having a rough trot but is that injured neck the issue?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Paddy. Not sure who Patty is unless you're still having McCabe withdrawal.

Anyway, the point is Kepu started the season like shit, but then stopped that and became awesome.

Not sure what to make of this Welsh T5 as I've not seen much of any of them. What I suspect is that Faulkner's ability to play both sides may be Cheika putting Alexander on notice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Robinson is the one not selected isn't he?

That is correct.

I'm expecting we'll see all 5 props used during the tests and we'll probably see Faulkner play both sides of the scrum. We could possibly see Alexander do that as well.

P

Paradox

Sounds logical. It's a shame Sio wasn't there as his scrummaging was excellent this year. I think Link had plans to convert him to a TH. I've also heard a lot of good things about Allan Ala'alatoa down in the Brumby stables.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But who are we going to pick over him. Everyone people suggest can't even get a run at Super Rugby. His having a rough trot but is that injured neck the issue?

I think, under the current rules Weekes and Longbottom are both better pure scrummagers.

We then get into the nebulous world of workrate vs scrummaging. (see Ryan, Tilse & Alexander etc)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sounds logical. It's a shame Sio wasn't there as his scrummaging was excellent this year. I think Link had plans to convert him to a TH. I've also heard a lot of good things about Allan Ala'alatoa down in the Brumby stables.

Allan and Mike Ala'alatoa are both definitely names for the future.

Like most people, I think Paul Alo-Emile will be next cab off the rank at THP and could be a bolter for the RWC squad. It could all depend on Rebels selections next season. If Weeks continues to start, it will surely hurt PAE's chances of making the RWC squad.

Robinson and Alexander are both in a tricky spot to make the RWC squad. I think one of them will certainly make it as their experience will be valued but assuming Sio is fit, it will be hard for both of them.

I still don't think RWC squad sizes have been confirmed. If it remains at 30, we'd probably only take 5 props. If it goes up to 31 or 32, we'd probably take 6.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper has the ability and shown he can play both sides. He is now undisputed No, 1 LHP. and probably No, 2 as a THP. Kepu has now become the same at THP. His recent form has been outstanding. He also can play LHP, probably pretty dam good.

Both these blokes are interchangeable. The problem is the backup for both spots.

Robbo has effectively been shunted by Mckenzie and now Chek. and IMO will be lucky to make the RWC squad.. Scott Sio will surely take a spot, which side I don't know. McKenzie and presumably Blades were looking at turning him into a THP but injury disrupted that transition - but he WILL get one of the Prop reserve spots.

Alexander for some reason (and it can only be that there is no-one else) has remained dispite some poor performances. Blades must be scratching his head and looking for someone who can step up and replace him. I doubt whether Alexander will be also in the RWC squad.

It looks to me that both Bens are done by the end of this years tour. Their contributions to Australian rugby should not be discounted at all. They have about 70 caps each ATM - most capped props.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I honestly think people are reading too much into Robinson not being on the bench for this game and Faulkner playing instead.

I would be highly surprised if there was any plan that these were the four props to play every match for the rest of the tour. I think Robbo, Faulkner and Alexander will all play at least two of the tests each.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HJ, I'm not in possession of the stats, so you might be able to help me. We seem to have played many tests against these blokes over the last few years. From memory, they haven't won too many! My question is: What are the win/loss numbers for us in, say, the last 8 tests?

The James Bevan trophy for games between the Men in Gold and the Boyos has been played for 11 times since 2007 (6 times in Wales and 5 times in Australia).
Australia has won 10 of the 11 encounters.
The loss was in 2008 at the Arms Park (18-21).
Australia has scored 276 points and conceded 189 over the 11 games.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bevan_Trophy

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Paddy. Not sure who Patty is unless you're still having McCabe withdrawal.

Anyway, the point is Kepu started the season like shit, but then stopped that and became awesome.

Not sure what to make of this Welsh T5 as I've not seen much of any of them. What I suspect is that Faulkner's ability to play both sides may be Cheika putting Alexander on notice.
We all miss McCabe

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Yep, we've got a very, very solid front row being calved atm.

Sio
Siliva
Alaatoaoaaaotoaoaoaoottttaaaaoaa.

Staniforth and Carter in the 2nd row.

Butler/Smiler/Fardy, THe Cock and hopefully Vaea to rejoin and we have a hell of a pack there for the next few years.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Slipper has the ability and shown he can play both sides. He is now undisputed No, 1 LHP. and probably No, 2 as a THP. Kepu has now become the same at THP. His recent form has been outstanding. He also can play LHP, probably pretty dam good.

Both these blokes are interchangeable. The problem is the backup for both spots.

Robbo has effectively been shunted by Mckenzie and now Chek. and IMO will be lucky to make the RWC squad.. Scott Sio will surely take a spot, which side I don't know. McKenzie and presumably Blades were looking at turning him into a THP but injury disrupted that transition - but he WILL get one of the Prop reserve spots.

Alexander for some reason (and it can only be that there is no-one else) has remained dispite some poor performances. Blades must be scratching his head and looking for someone who can step up and replace him. I doubt whether Alexander will be also in the RWC squad.

It looks to me that both Bens are done by the end of this years tour. Their contributions to Australian rugby should not be discounted at all. They have about 70 caps each ATM - most capped props.

OI!!!!

NO!!!! THESE PROPS ARE NOT F*CKING INTERCHANGEABLE~!!!!!

Slipper is a lossehead prop, and should never play anywhere else, likewise for Kepu.

It is time for Australian rugby to decide where we will pick a player at test level, and that is final, If you're a loosehead prop, or an inside centre at test level, that is your position.

End of.

Enough of this "he's had an amazing season at 13, but I think he could be an even better tighthead prop! Lets throw him in there at the beginning of a world cup and see how many arseholes he has at the end of it, and then lets shitcan him on public opinion and throw him on the scrapheap!"

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I wouldn't say To'omua is in bad form (was one of the better backs on the weekend) and Lilo is coming off a great game but it was only a month ago that everyone was writing about how far Lilo had fallen and that he'd shown nothing since 2012.

So what? Lilo had an opportunity to perform against the All Blacks and he took it. Who gives a shit how his form was the previous 12 months, or in Super Rugby?

I've never really been here or there on Lilo but he showed the straight running attacking spark that we've been desperate for all year.

And it's disingenuous to declare 12 a defensive position because we've so much other talent in the backline. The 12 needs to be an attacking threat to open up opportunities for TK and Folau etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.