• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Don't know why there's so much pessimism around this game. What with Chieka's yelling and his brainwave around insisting the players are honest with each other, we've clearly got this in the bag. Wallabies by 12

Could this be a 'tongue in cheek remark'?:rolleyes:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I honestly think people are reading too much into Robinson not being on the bench for this game and Faulkner playing instead.

I would be highly surprised if there was any plan that these were the four props to play every match for the rest of the tour. I think Robbo, Faulkner and Alexander will all play at least two of the tests each.

this more than likely extends beyond the props too, aside from maybe 1 or 2 exceptions everyone on the touring party will get utilised at some stage for at least one test..that's what these tours are for.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This game is not about how the Welsh play, but how the Wallabies play.

Do the Wallabies bring out their 'A' game like against Bledisloe 3 and against Springbok in S.A. where they only went down in the last 10 mins with the bench, or their 'B' game like Bledisloe 2 or against the Argies over there.\
If its their 'A'game then look out Wales. It its their 'B' game, then possible a draw (maybe:oops: ).

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes , Phipps has a never say die attitude ,love watching his endeavour ..think this will bring the best out of Genia ....Cheika should love this scenario playing out .

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes , Jones will get his chance ..seems to be a backbone of any pack he is in , saw him rotated during the NRC games between 4,5,6 & 8 switching mid game where necessary to good effect , does the hard yards in attack and defence and at 23 still in an upward trajectory.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't know why there's so much pessimism around this game. What with Chieka's yelling and his brainwave around insisting the players are honest with each other, we've clearly got this in the bag. Wallabies by 12

dont forget his prodigious amount of pointing
cheika-657x448.jpg

cheika_3093311b.jpg

1413705872785.jpg

Australia-Training-Sessio-011.jpg

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes , Jones will get his chance ..seems to be a backbone of any pack he is in , saw him rotated during the NRC games between 4,5,6 & 8 switching mid game where necessary to good effect , does the hard yards in attack and defence and at 23 still in an upward trajectory.
I really do hope he gets a chance at 6, his a big Sean McMahon

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I really do hope he gets a chance at 6, his a big Sean McMahon

He's really not.

He's 6'6" and 110kg, so it's not like he's absolutely massive. Pretty much the prototypical size for the modern six. Normally does his best work grinding away in the tight as a runner although he can do some damage out wide once he gets moving. He's not explosive in the way McMahon is - doesn't have those same fast twitch fibres. The only real similarity between the two is a comparable motor. Jones makes a ridiculous amount of tackles and covers huge amounts of turf.

What's stopping him from taking the next step, IMO, is his inability to dominate a ruck. He doesn't do the old Rob Simmons third-man-in-lean thing, but he's not learned to explode through the opposition in the way we see Retalick/Etzebeth and even Fardy doing. Whether he can learn I'm not sure - but you'd think if anyone could teach it would be Cheika.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I expect quite a bit of experimentation/rotation over the whole of the tour. Barring injury we will play our best team against England, so if you want to find out what Cheik currently thinks is the best 23, wait for that announcement.

In between we play France and Ireland. France are pretty poor at the moment but Ireland are quite strong with a great coach, though they do have a lot of injuries.

Cheik said from the outset of the tour that he would give the Bled3 starters first shot and he has pretty much done that. He will mix it up against France and to a lesser extent Ireland to see just what he's got/not got. My guess is that Jones will get bench time in both the next two games; if not then Cheik probably doesn't rate him as highly as the keyboard warriors. I expect Cooper will start against France with either Phipps or White inside, to see how this works. Imagine the headlines: FOLEY DROPPED! I think this is the last test Tomane will start unless he has a blinder - he was the worst player in the starting team in Bled 3 and Horne and Speight are both better players, just in different ways.

Remember Cheik started Ryan over Kepu for most of the first half of the Super season, now Ryan isn't even here. Robinson has been rotated to give Faulkner a go against one of the weaker scrums - IMO he has definitely not been dropped. Expect more of this over the remaining three games, with the best team facing up to England.

Those people reading to much into this team selection should have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down.

Galty

Frank Row (1)
I expect quite a bit of experimentation/rotation over the whole of the tour. Barring injury we will play our best team against England, so if you want to find out what Cheik currently thinks is the best 23, wait for that announcement.

In between we play France and Ireland. France are pretty poor at the moment but Ireland are quite strong with a great coach, though they do have a lot of injuries.

Cheik said from the outset of the tour that he would give the Bled3 starters first shot and he has pretty much done that. He will mix it up against France and to a lesser extent Ireland to see just what he's got/not got. My guess is that Jones will get bench time in both the next two games; if not then Cheik probably doesn't rate him as highly as the keyboard warriors. I expect Cooper will start against France with either Phipps or White inside, to see how this works. Imagine the headlines: FOLEY DROPPED! I think this is the last test Tomane will start unless he has a blinder - he was the worst player in the starting team in Bled 3 and Horne and Speight are both better players, just in different ways.

Remember Cheik started Ryan over Kepu for most of the first half of the Super season, now Ryan isn't even here. Robinson has been rotated to give Faulkner a go against one of the weaker scrums - IMO he has definitely not been dropped. Expect more of this over the remaining three games, with the best team facing up to England.

Those people reading to much into this team selection should have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down.

Why do you think he'd start white vs France?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not expecting that much rotation. I think the players who are more cemented in their positions currently like Phipps and Foley will probably start every game.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
What's stopping him from taking the next step, IMO, is his inability to dominate a ruck.

Although I haven't closely watched McMahon before last weekend, hopefully he's already improving re counter rucking.

Apart from his try and his good speed to prevent a Barbarians try in the second half, I most remember how he hit the rucks late the in game to disrupt the Barbarians ball. Including kicking ahead one ball.

Hopefully see some more in Cardiff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Although I haven't closely watched McMahon before last weekend, hopefully he's already improving re counter rucking.

Apart from his try and his good speed to prevent a Barbarians try in the second half, I most remember how he hit the rucks late the in game to disrupt the Barbarians ball. Including kicking ahead one ball.

Dumbledore was talking about Luke Jones in terms of counter rucking (and the rest of it).

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Definitely. I'm talking about Jones and why we haven't seen him yet.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So what? Lilo had an opportunity to perform against the All Blacks and he took it. Who gives a shit how his form was the previous 12 months, or in Super Rugby?

I've never really been here or there on Lilo but he showed the straight running attacking spark that we've been desperate for all year.

And it's disingenuous to declare 12 a defensive position because we've so much other talent in the backline. The 12 needs to be an attacking threat to open up opportunities for TK and Folau etc.

I never "declared" 12 was a defensive position, I merely pointed out that in my opinion strong defence in the 12 channel will be paramount against the Welsh and we have dropped our best defensive back.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Slipper has the ability and shown he can play both sides. He is now undisputed No, 1 LHP. and probably No, 2 as a THP.

Well IMHO its been so long since he played starting THP at Test level, that is too tricky to call.

But Tomikin said it: stop pissing around and let's put guys where they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.