• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I expect quite a bit of experimentation/rotation over the whole of the tour. Barring injury we will play our best team against England, so if you want to find out what Cheik currently thinks is the best 23, wait for that announcement.

In between we play France and Ireland. France are pretty poor at the moment but Ireland are quite strong with a great coach, though they do have a lot of injuries.

Cheik said from the outset of the tour that he would give the Bled3 starters first shot and he has pretty much done that. He will mix it up against France and to a lesser extent Ireland to see just what he's got/not got. My guess is that Jones will get bench time in both the next two games; if not then Cheik probably doesn't rate him as highly as the keyboard warriors. I expect Cooper will start against France with either Phipps or White inside, to see how this works. Imagine the headlines: FOLEY DROPPED! I think this is the last test Tomane will start unless he has a blinder - he was the worst player in the starting team in Bled 3 and Horne and Speight are both better players, just in different ways.

Remember Cheik started Ryan over Kepu for most of the first half of the Super season, now Ryan isn't even here. Robinson has been rotated to give Faulkner a go against one of the weaker scrums - IMO he has definitely not been dropped. Expect more of this over the remaining three games, with the best team facing up to England.

Those people reading to much into this team selection should have a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down.

Actually thought Carter was by far out worst in the 3rd Sloe. He was responsible for two AB by not getting into position fast enough. Seemed like he was jogging on the spot he was moving so slowly - and he isn't that slow for a lock.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Didn't see Quade being omitted coming.

Hope the Boyo's take it easy on us in the backline.

Yeah. Sinks my theory about the inclusion of Genia to have the combination with Quade. Foolishness imo. No Quade - no rationale to have Will in favour of Nic White who outplayed him not only in the Baa Baas game but during the whole of 2014. For his sake and ours, I hope Will pulls something special out of the hat when he comes on.

I am also very nervous about the replacement forwards on the bench. If McCalman comes off we will have a relatively very small back row. McMahon will have to play as two in that case (although he could well do that on his previous form). I really don't like any of Horwill, Simmons or Carter at 6. Not fast enough to get around the ground in Fardy fashion and not enough ruck dominance in them. But if we finish with Horwill/Skelton/Hodgson/Hooper/McMahon (or similar combination) we will be very ineffectual in the lineouts and also probably in the scrums with the replacement front row on as well. Unlikely to be able to claw back points if we're behind towards the end, and unlikely to be able to protect a small points advantage. Can see the last 15 - 20 minutes again being a severe disappointment.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
BR - I too was surprised at Genia's selection over White. It might be a last opportunity for him unless he pulls out a beauty.

There seems to be a substantial difference between our starters and bench players. No so much with the AB's or Saffas

I really think our starters are world class accross the paddock. The difference seems to be the bench and the last 10-15 minutes.

The coaching staff need to somehow (F-----d if I know how) increase the quality of those on the pine..... then we are a real chance of getting the brass ring

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree daylight between starting side and bench been shown with our finishing of games being generally poor.

Injuries not helped there as well.

No one would be particularly worried by our bench as no real game breakers on there which is of concern.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Actually thought Carter was by far out worst in the 3rd Sloe. He was responsible for two AB by not getting into position fast enough. Seemed like he was jogging on the spot he was moving so slowly - and he isn't that slow for a lock.

You mean those two that cant possibly be hung on his shoulders?

First one, kiwis had an overlap, what is he supposed to do, mark two men? Carter took one player, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was left with Read and Jane, hwo is it Carters fault if he's not fast enough to be able to cover such an overlap. He actually did very well and would have got Read, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) actually didn't need to come in and leave the line open to Jane. Tough call on either player though.

Second one was purely Foley jamming in, not drifting. He jammed in, when Carter was covering across to take Barrett, and left the gap for Coles to take. You cant say it's Carters fault for then not being able to cover Foley's channel.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
BR - I too was surprised at Genia's selection over White. It might be a last opportunity for him unless he pulls out a beauty.

There seems to be a substantial difference between our starters and bench players. No so much with the AB's or Saffas

I really think our starters are world class accross the paddock. The difference seems to be the bench and the last 10-15 minutes.

The coaching staff need to somehow (F-----d if I know how) increase the quality of those on the pine... then we are a real chance of getting the brass ring
The return of Taf, Moore, Poey (in form). Fardy Higgers as well. Props are were we lose out. Backs we could have Genia Cooper To'omua Speight Horne White Beale too inject.

Its just currently where down and blooding young guys.

Id love to see a Hooper / Hodgson game like when we did Smith / Poey vs the Welsh. That's how you use two great 7's

EDIT: add Sio to the list

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm really looking forward to the return of Moore AND TPN. Then I think we have a very strong front row.

The return of the others excites me as well. Thats the trouble with our game : injuries.

The Poey return will make for interesting times.

You probably need a squad of 25-30 top quality players to allow for the inevitable injuries. I think that most positions are covered adequately except for the props.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

The coaching staff need to somehow (F-----d if I know how) increase the quality of those on the pine... then we are a real chance of getting the brass ring

I have to say that the bench could have had a stronger look this test match if either Quade or To'omua made it (ie 5-3 split) along with Jones to cover the backrow. If To'omua then also White in place of Genia.

Think the problem here is one of selections. We really only need one of Horwill and Skelton on the bench (I'd favour Horwill at this stage, but if Skelton then all the more important that someone like Jones is also there) and I still don't subscribe to having a backup 7 on the bench, especially as Sean McMahon is in the starting lineup and could cover for an injury to Hooper in any case.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have to say that the bench could have had a stronger look this test match if either Quade or To'omua made it (ie 5-3 split) along with Jones to cover the backrow. If To'omua then also White in place of Genia.

Think the problem here is one of selections. We really only need one of Horwill and Skelton on the bench (I'd favour Horwill at this stage, but if Skelton then all the more important that someone like Jones is also there) and I still don't subscribe to having a backup 7 on the bench, especially as Sean McMahon is in the starting lineup and could cover for an injury to Hooper in any case.

Does Cheika see McMahon as openside cover? I doubt it. The kid has played one game off the bench vs the baabaas. Hodgson necessary.

Does Cheika see Hodgson as no8 cover? Doubt it given he doesn't really have the skill set to play that role? Skelton does and that's why he's there.

Does Cheika see Skelton as an 80 minute test player? Doubt it. If one of the starters pulled a hammy on the first play of the game, Horwill will be used.

I think people need to accept that a new coach will be testing a lot of new things in the early stages of his tenure.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodgo can play all back 3 positions but so can McMahon I think. However, having Jones on the bench in place of Skelton would make sense as he is a 5/6 and maybe even 8(not sure at this level). Then Quade or To'omua could have been there.
We are 2 injuries in the backs away from being exposed. Mind you Horne is multi positional as are all the starters in the backline.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the other hand, how often has Hooper been injured (knock on wood)? Why carry a player on the bench solely to cover the risk of an injury to a player where McMahon would at least do a competent job at 7.

I wonder if Cheika keep Hodgson on the bench partly as a reward for demonstrating the type of off-field behaviour/training paddock approach that he wants to see in more of his players.

Because unless Hodgson is seen as a possible non-injury replacement for McMahon or Hooper, I wouldn't waste a bench spot for him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm a bit disappointed with the bench.
I wouldn't even have Genia on the tour we know what he can do when he is in form,he has a Super season to find his old form.
I also wish QC (Quade Cooper) was on the bench.
Plenty of runners at good angles,would make him look like a magician and those big Welsh centres would look clueless late in the game.
IMO,but we will never know......

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
This corresponding match last year was one of my favourite tests of all time! Bring on tonight..

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
It was a great pickup in the corner by Tomane!

He's been given a great show of confidence by Cheika for tonight's match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom